Fear Itself

Family Man

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jun 19, 2008 on NBC

• The best "Fear Itself" episode. Good story, great acting. What are you willing to do to protect your loved ones? You may miss the series, but not this episode.

With "Family Man" this unpretentious horror anthology has proved the point of it's catch line (which was quoted from F.D.Roosevelt), "You have nothing to fear but fear itself".

The episode was, clearly, purely about FEAR. Not specific fear, not the scare, jump of the couch and scream kind of fear, not like fear of the dark, or monsters in the closet, but the fear feeling itself, the unbearable torment, and what it can make us do. Everyone has his own worst nightmare, and in that line of thinking we can say fear is very subjective and personal. That's why some people laugh out loud watching ghost movies, while others are scared to death of it. Well, common sense says the vast majority of the population would agree that losing their family is a horrible idea (except if you're a psycho), which, finally, brings us to the Family Man plot:

So...we are introduced to Dennis Mahoney and his happy family. He suffers an accident and while in the hospital, where he unwillignly switches body with an infamous serial killer. Take that, and after both are fully recovered, Dennis Mahoney is sent to jail, while the assassin returns home safely, period. I believe everyone who watches a horror show promptly anticipates a certain kind of ending, so i'll quit spoiling from now on. For good, i'll just say that, whatever it is that happens as the story unfolds and whetever the ending is, it indeed succeeds in making the viewer feel in the flesh all the torment and the anguish going through the protagonist's mind. It's disturbing, it tickles you in and annoying way. Colin Ferguson ("Eureka") plays the main character, Dennis Mahoney, and his acting is magistral and majorly responsible for this episode's high achievement's.