NBC (ended 2008)

Official Episode Discussion: "Community"

What did you think?

danharr

[1]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 45
    This weeks episode enjoy!
    Edited on 07/24/2008 9:46am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RunnerGunner480

[2]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    Out of all of the episodes I've seen, this one is my favorite. I love the creepy utopia stories and while this one was a little predictable, it still was really good.

puddleglum5999

[3]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    Definitely ranks with "In Sickness and in Health" as one of the best so far. It relies more on psychological horror than what I call the "bucket of blood, gallon of gore" method. The subject matter itself is ripe for stories like this, IMO. I would hate living in a community where my neighbors would think that they could cite me for such nitpicky, kangaroo-court garbage as how far my trash can was from the curb, etc. Therefore, this episode really resonated with me.

saigon_angel77

[4]Jul 25, 2008
    I agree that this episode was pretty good compared to some of the earlier ones. I liked how it used psychological suspense vs the tons of blood/gotcha moments we often see in horror stories. It reminded me a little of the Stepford Wives/Husbands/Children territory where everything was "perfect" but at a cost to the individual. It left me with some questions that I hope someone can help me with. Was his friend Scott in on the whole thing? Or did they "brainwash" him and Tracy at the end? So they hobbled Bobby at the end by cutting off his legs, is that why the neighbor had a fake leg too, to keep him from running as well? Man, talk about a sick community!

danharr

[5]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 45
    I was ready to hate this episode as a lame stepford wives clone but it was done very well. Heck guy did better acting in this episode than he did all through Superman. Super lame no legs effect at the end come on people nbc couldn't have sprung for some cgi if you would've asked?

aktarian

[6]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 5

Rip off Twilight Zone episode (first episode in 2002 series). A bit different setting but all the basic elements are there. The control, the rules, failure of some other escapee, the escape itself, the punishment, even betrayal and how things in the end turn out.

Not a bad episode though not original.

halstein

[7]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 16
    I get the story and everything, but there is still one piece missing. What does "the community" do to your family members/friends. Was bobby's houses's previous owner his next door neighbour's brother that tried to escape and they caught him and killed him or what?(just a complete guess) if someone can please explain this it would be much appreciated, it is the only thing the episode to explain other than a few hints or so(with Scott's wife)

haldrey

[8]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 22
    I think all of the eps I seen are re-fried stories but with a different twist. "Community" the best so far. FI is entertaining and that is what TV is for.

aktarian

[9]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 5

halstein wrote:
    I get the story and everything, but there is still one piece missing. What does "the community" do to your family members/friends. Was bobby's houses's previous owner his next door neighbour's brother that tried to escape and they caught him and killed him or what?(just a complete guess) if someone can please explain this it would be much appreciated, it is the only thing the episode to explain other than a few hints or so(with Scott's wife)

I guess what they do to your family/friends depends on what you do. Less serious they beat them up. More serious they kill them. As for previous owner being his neighbour's brother I don't think so. His wife says he had to go to some other city to take care of him so he didn't livein this community

staceyb72

[10]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 2
    I don't think Scott was in on it. I believe that they killed Meryl and then brainwashed Scott into entering the community as a single and brainwashed Tracy into coming back. They may have performed lobotomies instead, but they didn't show any open wounds to support that theory. I just wish they had done the smae thing to Bob so he wouldn't know the misery in which he lives.

Shinigami124

[11]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 11
    I didn't like the episode, the script might not have had to rely on the blood and gore formula the plot was filled with plot holes it was just sad. The episode made you ask a bunch of questions and gave you no answers.

SkulleryMaid

[12]Aug 2, 2008

I hated this episode. As mentioned above, it doesn't make any sense that they can brainwash (or lobodomize) some people, but choose to amputate appendages of others. I also don't understand what the benefit is of keeping people in the community who don't want to be there. Presumably, the purpose for the community is a Skull & Bones thing... put powerful people in offices throughout the country so they can help each other out. If someone doesn't want to be there and you have to lobodomize them to stay, how much help will they really be? And why punish people for not being able to conceive? There is no benefit to the community, which makes their utilitarian philosophical underpinning fall apart.

If you're going to rely on psychological thrills, your script shouldn't be so stupid.

Shinigami124

[13]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 11
    thanks for agreeing with me

orangemann327

[14]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 23

This episode didn't do anything for me. I thought it was quite funny actually. I rushed home from an amusement park to see it, only to laugh at it? I wanted something better.

MaStAViC

[15]Sep 23, 2008
    I have seen about half of the Fear Itself episodes released thus far and this is by the far the worst one. I do like psychological horror/suspense - in many cases, I prefer it over the gore/blood type - but this episode had too many problems with it. I finished the episode hoping that more would happen in the end, as I have too many questions and no answers can be found in the episode.

DominicanSin3

[16]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 3
    SkulleryMaid wrote:

I hated this episode. As mentioned above, it doesn't make any sense that they can brainwash (or lobodomize) some people, but choose to amputate appendages of others. I also don't understand what the benefit is of keeping people in the community who don't want to be there. Presumably, the purpose for the community is a Skull & Bones thing... put powerful people in offices throughout the country so they can help each other out. If someone doesn't want to be there and you have to lobodomize them to stay, how much help will they really be? And why punish people for not being able to conceive? There is no benefit to the community, which makes their utilitarian philosophical underpinning fall apart.

If you're going to rely on psychological thrills, your script shouldn't be so stupid.

It's actually really simple. Why let people who don't want to be there go and run the risk of what you are doing in your community getting out? The reason for them not wanting to be there was because the felt controlled seeing as their mortgage papers required them to have a kid. If that got out to others then it would ruin the happy go lucky community picture that was originally painted and then no one would want to join the community, thus no more Skull and Bones thing as you put it where these cookie cutter type people and their children are being put in positions of power.