Fear Itself

In Sickness and in Health

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jun 26, 2008 on NBC

• If you've ever seen or read anything in this genre before, you'll have the plot figured out before the first commercial break, i.e. as the prologue goes to black.

I hate to say it, but this show is getting worse by the week. Why the writers felt the need to bludgeon viewers of this episode with a barrage of suspense-killing clues is beyond me. From the opening scene in which Gurrlfriend and Bride-to-be are rehashing the latter's history with men ("...they just disappear..."), to the incessant reminders that the pastor is hard of hearing, to abstruse dead-end plot aspects (twin uncles? huh?), this proved to be a tedious exercise in poorly written and equally poorly acted television. Alfred Hitchcock Presents could have done a fine job with this story in half the time, and without dropping a single clue on an audience whose intelligence it obviously had more respect for than Fear Itself does for its viewers.

I must also say that Fear Itself has now populated four episodes with annoying, hard to watch actors, and I see that next week's episode will feature the most annoying actor on AMC's Mad Men. Ugh.