Fear Itself

NBC (ended 2008)

Gislef

Fear Itself Fan Reviews (22)

7.9
  • Lame. Beyond lame.

If a show's going to have "fear" in the title, you'd think there would at least be some amount of scaring involved. That's definitely not the case with this show. I've yet to even get mildly startled by a single episode and I usually scare pretty easily. At the most, I get slightly on edge, but maybe only once per episode and there's never a decent payoff in the end. I keep tuning in to see if maybe, just maybe, the next week's episode will actually get it right and be scary, but it never does and it never is. They keep making a big deal about it being directed by the big horror movie directors. Maybe they should get some big horror movie writers.
  • John Landis needs to stick to comedy...

3.2
    I was so looking forward to seeing James Roday and Maggie Lawson (aka Shawn and Juliet from Psych) getting married... but after suffering through this episode all I have to say is Where's Lassie?

I hated James Roday in this role... he has such a likable laid back style in Psych and he just seemed wasted in this role... Maggie Lawson was at least believable, but her character was ridiculous...

The twist with the brother at the end was slightly interesting, but not played well so it gave away the ending... That reveal should have come after Sam promised to show Carlos the note someday... Then at least it would have been clever...

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with this series and John Landis should go back to National Lampoon...
  • Decent but needs improvement

5.9
    I have watched the second episode with Eric Roberts was not the best episodes i've watched for the first time tries to hold onto me but it just didn't bring it self in that direction but same thing with the series itself the showdoes not have a voiceover nor anything to give the audience to learn what the story is about inthe begining but it try to copy from another show like "Masters of Horror" but falls flat. But it does have a an original stories and good directing by people who worked on other productions in movies and television but it needs room to improve.
  • Fear Itself, but I do not fear it.

7.3
    I figured that Fear Itself would have some flaws but I also decided to give it a chance because it is a horror anthology series created from the mind that created Masters of Horror. MY response to Fear Itself is a mixed perspective whereas I praise its attempt to reach out and become a horror classic but criticize its decline in attention-grabbing detail. So far, the show has been at an up and down rate of good and bad parts but I figure that I'll continue to give it a chance and at least see it through to the end. After all, there were a few winners in the mix. I just hope there are more.
  • Fear... every body has one.

I thought this was a little confusing when I first heard about it. I decided to watch it and was glad I did. Its just like a horror movie (besides the restrictions from putting it on public TV). Anyway, it was surprisingly good. I liked the way it is set up. A new episode, a new fear. It wasn't exactly as scary as it was suspenseful. I found myself not wanting to miss any of it so that I can find out what is happening and whats going to happen. I'm very interested to see how this show goes with the ratings. Although, I still have a few mixed feelings about it. All in all.. I would suggest this show to some friends of mine or wait.. maybe not?
  • Moody and Suspenseful. Definitely Worth Tuning in For.

NBC's Fear Itself is essentially a continuation of The Masters of Horror series which had a successful run on Showtime. The latter series featured stand alone mini-movies (60 minutes) from well know writers and directors from the horror genre such as John Landis, John Carpenter, and Joe Dante. Fear Itself follows the same premise with fewer big names (John Landis does make a return) and less graphic content. You might at first think that this would result in a watered down version of the cable series, but instead it has led to the writer focusing more on psychological side of horror and the series has thus far presented creepy, suspenseful, well-crafted stories in the horror/supernatural vein. As with any anthology, the episodes are hit and miss, but after four episodes we have seen three hits and one miss which is a pretty good record. Definitely worth tuning in for, though you might wish these episodes aired on a cold Winter night which would more readily lend to the atmosphere they create.
    Read the Full Review: http://axiomsedge-scifi.blogspot.com/2008/06/review-fear-itself.html
  • Not a great show but certainly worth the weekly summer dose of horror on tv it promised. Each week we were treated to horror from a different directors and expectedly we got different results each week.

Not a great show but certainly worth the weekly summer dose of horror on tv it promised. Each week we were treated to horror from a different directors and expectedly we got different results each week. I would advise one to judge this show on the basis of being one of the few horror outlets on network tv. For me with the limited resources and content flexibility they had to work with they came up with some real gems. The program also showcased some of tv's best and brightest actors who always brought a great performance to sometimes lack luster stories. As a summer show I think this would've been great and a lot better than reruns or reality tv.
  • every episode is a new and different horror movie.which is great b/c it dont end on a cliffhanger.

the show as great acting.

the show even has good writing.

the horror in each episode is amazing.

someone people complain about this show,but i think the show is very good.

this is the type of show on a dark,boring or rainy night you pop this in.and you enjoy what u see.

the only problem is some eps are better than others.

other than that this show rocks.

its a shame it only lasted 1 season.
  • Each week there is a different episode with different characters, with some of the greatest horror writers/directors creating short movies each week we have Fear Itself.

I really enjoy this show. I'll be honest, the only reason I started watching this show was because I thought it'd be like Masters of Horror and now I'm hooked. The first episode was great and the second episode was just as good. The endings do need a little work because that was my least favorite part of both episodes. The first episode was great in the fact that it kept you guessing, you didn't know whether the three women were good or evil. The second episode was a very entertaining ghost story. So far the series is starting off on a high note, I hope it continues to entertain and reach it's full potential. Overall from what I've seen it's a great show.
  • It is much better than you say it is!

Hey. To you haters out there this show is awesome! Masters of horror sadly to say was canceled and some if not most of the episodes did suck. This show is trying to be cool, scary and awesome. I for one think it is doing its job. It can't be all over the top like Masters Of Horror because hello it is on network tv. If you want some rated R stuff than go watch Masters of Horror or some rated R horror movie. You have to give this the proper chance it deserves!! So please watch this show. It is awesome!
  • Just meh.

I first got to watch it at my friends house then he told me to watch the rest of the episodes, he said it was a good show. I said that I would give it a try but after watching all the episodes I must say the show is... average. Yes there were some scary moments and unexpected plot twists but that is just not the thing I was looking for. It becomes quite predictable and for a long run it would be boring. One episode that was absolutely spectacular was the New Year's one. Very unpredictable. But all in all not scary and predictable, however it is a show to kill some time. So if you don't have anything to do, watch it if you want.
  • A tv series that shows common horrors that we've probably have all seen.

6.9
    In my opinion, this show is great, but then, it's a total flop. Most of the plots are taken from common problems in horror shows. The occasional famous actor is nice to see here and there, but other then that it doesn't deliver quite as i would like. The commercials set the mood off and it takes awhile to get back into the show after watching a happy Tide commercial. I will say that sometimes, I do get somewhat frightened, but it's still not "new". I would like to see that there is less commercials and more new ideas to go with.
  • Show is somewhat decent, only because I enjoyed very few of the episodes from the whole season.

Well, most of the episodes were predictable and some were just plain bad. A few of the bad ones (very bad) were "In Sickness and in Health" (acting was horrible), "Community" (WHAT??? This episode was so bad, the story, the characters, absolutely everything), and "Something With Bite"(I think this one was worst out of them all, and thats politely putting it into words). Some of the ones I actually enjoyed were "Skin and Bones", "Echoes" and "Family Man". "Skin and Bones" was very scary; I absolutely loved it. "Echoes" and "Family Man" tell incredible stories with an amazing end.

In conclusion, some were good and some were bad, but overall a decent show.
  • So, the formula for this series is old and well knwon: a collection of stand-alone horror/thriller stories, casting mostly guest starts and authors. Shows like "Fear Itself" have always been present on TV since Rod Serling's original "The Twilight Zone"..

...back in the 60's. Many tried but didn't succeed to achieve as much success as it's pioneer. Other shows that followed that same line were The Outher Limits, Amazing Stories (both, as The Twilight Zone, picked for a "remake" recently), Night Visions, Night Gallery (also Serling's spawn). So you know exactly what to expect from "Fear Itself". It's far from being the best of it's kind, but it's decent enough to keep it's reputation. Another point is: with this kind of show it's always the matter of love it or hate it, there's no middle term most of the times, that's why the reviews are so unlike. So, in case you're not a tiny bit keen on spooky stories about death, fear, evil or the supernatural, stay away from this! The best stories are those where fear plays the main part, while the supernatural element, however unbelievable, is merely a tool or metaphor to it. That can be a really tough task, and Fear Itself achieves it in some moments, like the excelent "Family Man" (the best amongst the 8 episodes aired so far), and "Spooked"; while it proves itself a total failure in other episodes, like the trashy b-esque "Eater", or the decent but bland "In sickness and in health". But to know why you have to see for yourself, it's worth it and it won't hurt (it will in the most scare you)...
  • It exploits our fears.

Fear Itself is a great show. It always leaves me questioning my own outcomes. I find that more often than not, I'm wrong about something in the show. I love it! I like the suspense and the horror in every episode. I love how we see many of our fears played out in front of our eyes. This isn't another show that centers around one supernatural being -- it ties in many of them. I just started to watch episode eight, and I'm really upset that it's on haitus. I really hope that it comes back.

I personally love Family Man, and New Year's Day.
  • Finally, my dream horror show has come to network TV.

So I'm kind of a horror movie junkie, and when I saw a commercial for this new show I had to watch the first episode. I absolutely loved it. Puzzling horror, an unknown creature, and a few confused friends make a great one hour mini movie. However, I will say four stranded friends and a horrifying back story, a little cliched, but hey it was the first episode. I always wanted something like this on TV, and now that it's here in front of me every Thursday. Can't wait for next week's movie. I wonder how many sequels they will have?
  • Better than watching a 2-hour long horror bust.

Fun show which crams fairly intricate stories into a short format- much is more satisfying than watching a full horror film only to determine it was mindless after its over. production values are impressive, the writing is decent and they actually use noteworthy directors (Mary Harron, John Landis) and some memorable actors (Brandon Routh, Rachel Miner. I am happy to hear that even after NBC dropped it, that FEARnet picked it up and is apparently making new episodes. I didn't expect it to hold my attention; was pissed that instead of free on-demand movies, I was getting some anthology show, but I've been pleasantly surprised.
  • The premise reminded me of 'Masters of Horror' so I figured I would give it a shot. I really enjoyed Episode #1 so Ill be back for episode #2 next week.

I usually don't watch to much summer TV, however I need something to keep my attention and to keep my tivo worth its money this summer. I liked the first episode and I think with a concept of basically one-hour movies every week this show has good promise. I myself enjoy horror based television as Im a huge fan of Supernatural. The only bad thing about this show IMO, was that it seemed to take a while to get into the story. Granted I realize they only have about 42-45 minutes to tell a good story. All in all I enjoyed the show and plan on watching for the coming weeks.
  • Serial killer put into jail. Nasty rotted teeth, huge and evil laugh. Eats his victims. Rookie female cop trying to survive amongst arrogant male cops. Serial killer is cajun, involved in dark voodoo. Escapes. Male cops start acting sinisterly. Scary.

Some really creepy parts. The "Eater" was downright scary, especially his size, his laugh and his teeth. You could feel the tenseness of the policemen as they brought him into the jail. The voodoo chant and the beat that continued to play throughout the show was a good effect. I was impressed. I also thought the suspense was good, you knew something strange and freaky was going on but not exactly what. This was my first episode of fear itself and I can't wait to see what else shows up! Reminded me of Kojak, the night stalker, except 2008 style.
  • Just a personal not.

This show has to have more than one season. It is so diverse in its episodes that a true horror fan simply has to love it. There are lots of flaws, as there are in horror, but every episode has kept me alert, not many shows tend to do that nowadays.
    As all movies do, this series tends to lean on old series, in this case "Hitchcock presents" and "Twilight Zone", there are probably more critics who have made this reference, but few who have really seen them. I have, actually, in my younger days, and I still think about them every now and then. This series is a worthy follow-up in that respect.
    It tends to be predictable, like horror always does, but there is a delicate balance between predictability and renewal that I surely like. And apart from that, the choice to select "Lie, lie, lie" as the main theme is a good one, I don't know if you like "System Of A Down" or Serj Tankain at all, but I do, as a sixties-die-hard, his "Jethro Tull"-esque music is inspiring.
  • The show moved along very well, with a wonderful idea of having this secluded area of people trying to protect the likes of the outside world from the vampire. Unfortunately, those protectors ended up being victims when they were bitten. Good show.

I'm not that into horror shows but I did get through the first episode, well for the most part. I must say that the show had its moments of being scary. Of course, I could not watch all of those parts. Wish the lighting was a bit better to really see how that creature looked. Did not like Lemon hanging upside down. I did enjoy the chase at the end and of course Diego getting caught up, no pun intended by Virginia. Navarro and his mouth being sewn, could not watch that part. Point was on point until he became of victim of the vampire at the end. I liked how the women were able to take control and handle this vampire and its victims, something that I commend the writers for doing and showing.
  • Anyone who's seen the episode "Skin and Bones" and didn't get a chill must not have a pulse.

Fear Itself is great stuff! Some episodes are better than others but that's true of any series. I just wish we had more horror series like this on TV. There seems to be a fairly wide range of directorial and writing styles (and even acting abilities and experience) in comparing episodes, but that's certainly not a problem for me. And Fear Itself has plenty of style.

In my humble opinion, foibles not withstanding, Fear Itself can take its rightful place with Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Outer Limits, Night Visions, Supernatural, etc. as some of the best the horror genre has to offer.