Fear Itself

The Sacrifice

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jun 05, 2008 on NBC

7.8
  • Not bad for a first outing...

Initially when I first heard about the show I was pleased to hear there was finally going to be some horror back on the TV. As a huge horror fan I couldn't wait. Problem was I went in with very high expectations and didn't get what I was hoping for.

BUT that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Scares and gore galore there wasn't but with a solid plot, a not too cheestastic script and decent actors, "The Sacrifice" turned out to be a fairly entertaining episode. A lot of people seemed a little put out that the episode was about vampires, and it is something that's seen pretty regularly. But for a pilot plot I think it was a good move. You can't really go wrong with vampires and there's a reason why they're seen so often – along with ghosts and werewolves they're part of the holy trinity of this genre.

The actors themselves were more or less spot on, although I did find the three sisters to be a bit out of place. After seeing Rachel Miner in Californication I would have expected better but she wasn't awful by any means. Great to see Jeffrey Pierce as the lead - he's a completely underused actor imo. The other guys were pretty good too.

Reading the other reviews I think people did the same as me and watched the show with a pillow at the ready, waiting to be scared to hell and back. But I realise now that I should have just taken it at face value for what it was. Yes it's described as horror but it's also described as suspense and thriller. It's a little more subtle and more mindless escapism that full throttle horror.

If you accept it as such then you should find you'll enjoy it.