FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010

2010 World Cup Final: Netherlands vs. Spain

Aired Daily 7:00 AM Jul 11, 2010 on ESPN

6.3
  • Deserving Champions

This is the biggest single sporting event on the planet as up to two billion people watch this match. With so much on the line, it's understandable - if disappointing - that both teams do not want to make a mistake and lose the match of a lifetime.

The Dutch had clear tactics and that was to pressure and rough up the Spaniards so that they could not play their possession game, which Germany made the mistake of letting them do. I was praying that this would not go to penalty kicks, which it almost did.

Penalty kicks are such a terrible way to decide a game of such magnitude. Can any of us imagine the NBA Finals coming down to free throws, the Stanley Cup to a shootout, the World Series to a home run derby or the Super Bowl to a field goal kicking contest? of course we can't.

Spain was the better team and are wholly deserving of this result. We didn't see as much of the Beautiful Game they play, but all credit for the Dutch for that. They played the way the had to in order to have a chance to win.

I think all of us owe a big thank you and congratulations to South Africa for a wonderful World Cup Finals. The World Cup is so much bigger than our city vs. city rivalries and unites the world in a way only the Olympic Games can. Many, many countries are in rough shape economically and politically and for Spain, this is a moment to forget all that and join in celebration of a wonderful accomplishment.

Well done. :)
  • The Finals

The most-hyped, most-watched 2010 FIFA World Cup Finals are now over. No more ESPN commercials, no more Alexi Lalas (my personal favorite thing about the end of the cup), and no more soccer. Sure, you could watch the MLS, but we know you are not going to do that.

The game just seemed to drag on and on forever. I am sure the estimated 700 million viewers loved, and I am sure people in Spain will be loving every minute of the next few days, but I am just glad it is over. Watching this World Cup turned into more of a chore than enjoyable television.
  • Two high powered offenses that didn't do anything!

Let me start off saying I haven't seen a team control and move the ball so well setting up goal chances like Spain has done this World Cup and still have trouble scoring. If I remember correctly Spain didn't score more than 1 goal in any match. They have such a good squad that Fernando Torres doesn't even start! How do you get so many chances and score so little? Anybody...anybody...Buehler?

Now to the Netherlands, they had two big chances and both of their breaks they were stoned by Ikar Casillas. If you made it to the final and you get two breakaways, you NEED to convert on at least one of them. This final was nothing like I had hoped for and was not even close to being as good as the France/Italy final from last year which was fantastic.

Let me conclude my 2010 FIFA World Cup Reviews by saying please visit gousabid.com and sign the petition to bring the World Cup to America. Thank You!