FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010

Third Place Game: Uruguay vs. Germany

Aired Daily 7:00 AM Jul 10, 2010 on ESPN

7.8
  • uruguay vs. germany

I can say one thing tomorrow at about 4:30 PM: I probably will not have to listen to anymore vuvuzela fans for a few years.

I tried to enjoy this game, but much like the last one I just fell asleep in my efforts. This soccer overload is getting to me and I can safely say that I am pretty much done with the sport known around the world as football tomorrow afternoon. No MLS for me, not the English Premiere League either.

Hopefully Spain wins tomorrow as I do not like Pennsylvania Dutch Country, ergo I do not like the Netherlands.
  • Another terrific and most enjoyable third place match

It's interesting that outside of North America, everyone cares about third place. Here, we seem to have this "second place is the first loser" mentality and I think that is very wrong. Try telling it to any Olympic silver or bronze medalist.

The Germans will deservedly receive the bronze medal and take their place on the podium with the Dutch and Spanish. I'm not sure why we look down on third place games. They were a feature of the NCAA Tournament into the early 1980's before being canceled.

Germany was the better team today and did well to overcome a 2-1 second half deficit. Both teams had times in the game where they dominated play and there were some terrific goals. It doesn't have the intensity of a Final, but it is always entertaining as both sides generally go for it in an effort to put on a good show for the fans.

I think both teams should be very proud of their efforts at this World Cup.