FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010

Uruguay vs. Netherlands

Aired Daily 7:00 AM Jul 06, 2010 on ESPN

• An amazing match well worthy of a World Cup semi-final

This was a very enjoyable match. There were a few slow periods but the goals were terrific and plentiful. The Dutch were a little bit better and deserved the win. Uruguay deserves all the credit in the world. Nobody expected them to get this far and they gave the Netherlands all they could handle. The Dutch just have more talent. It was #4 in the world versus #16 and that difference showed through.

I do think the Dutch will have to be better in the Final if they hope to overcome either Germany or Spain. They have yet to play a full 90 minutes and they will have to do that if they hope to win their nation's first World Cup.

As for Uruguay, they are off to the third place match. They will be outclassed again in the talent department, but I think they will win because it will mean more to them. I think whoever loses the other semi-final, especially if it's Spain, will be too disappointed to rebound and play a game three days later. Uruguay also gets an extra day to prepare which will help them.
  • Semifinals

I only saw the first half of this game, but I was disappointed with the Netherlands winning. Uruguay has gone from unknowns to "contenders" (if you call teams that) in this tournament, whereas Netherlands has just been the giant killers. In this game though they were the giants, and you always have to root for the underdog, so I wanted a different result.

Alexi Lalas called the floating goal by the Netherlands player to the upper right corner of the net the best goal of the tournament and he may be right. That was about as perfectly timed and placed as you could ask for.

Here's to hoping either Spain or Germany knocks off Netherlands in the season finale.