Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

How'd you get into Firefly?

firefly317

[1]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 23

How'd you get into Firefly?

That's pretty much my question.

My friend watched Buffy for the longest time and her family rented Firefly a month or two before Serenity came out. They watched it, bought it and saw the movie.

Then almost a year later, a few of us slept over at her house and she showed us 4 episodes of Firefly and Serenity. We stayed up all night with those DVDs.

Now we talk about it too much. I think we're the 5 craziest 13 year old girls in the world!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alison_974

[2]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 17
    well i'd seen the ads for serenity on tv when it first came to the cinema, but i never watched it... then a couple of months ago i saw that my brother had it, i like to go to his house and go through his cds (he has so much stuff it's hard to go through them all). so i watched it... it was amazing, then i got the episodes from him... then as soon as i could i bought the movie and the series.

ps. now i'm watching buffy, only because of the firefly connection. That's like i watch Cleopatra 2525 only cos Gina Torres is in it.
    Edited on 12/28/2006 4:31pm

firefly317

[3]Dec 29, 2006

alison_974 wrote:

ps. now i'm watching buffy, only because of the firefly connection. That's like i watch Cleopatra 2525 only cos Gina Torres is in it.

I love Buffy!

SMGslayer97

[4]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 34
    Well, I had been watching Buffy for a few years. That inspired me to give Angel a chance, which I ended up loving just as much as Buffy. That pretty told me that I would probably love Firefly so I went out and bought the dvd set, I was going to see Serenity on opening day and cursing myself for not watching Firefly when it was on tv. That's pretty much the deal.

Telkiar

[5]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    Insomnia.

I got into Firefly one late night when I couldn't sleep. I was online with nothing to do and flipped the TV on for some background noise. Flipped through some channels, nothing decent was on, so I just left it on Channel 7 and went about my online stuff. 10 or so minutes after that Firefly Started. It caught my attention from the first minute (It wasn't until a year later that I relaised the episode I was watching was Serenity pt 1) I thought it was great, I checked the TV guide, saw it was on the week after and Sat up for it.
    This happened for a few weeks and then they showed "Objects in space" and boom, my taste of firefly was over.
    Seven had shown them out of order, at 2am, and after a few weeks decided it wasn't getting enough viewers (duh!) and pulled it.
    I watched the one episode I manged to tape a few more times before losing it, lol, and wrote Firefly off. It wasn't until random people I used to talk to last year mentioned it that I remembered. I got the box set for my Birthday and tried to see the movie on release day (didn't, too far from a cinema where I am) ended up getting it on dvd. I then used that DVD to hook my brother and a few others. *mumbles* then my nephew must of got a hold of it. I'll be buying a new copy ASAP.

And that is my... very long story of how I was hooked on FireFly. I crack out my box set and watch the series through atleast once every few months.

alison_974

[6]Dec 31, 2006
    Yeah i was flicking channels on Austar the other day again and there it was the opening scene of serenity pt 1 where they're on the battleground... and at a decent time 10:15pm, well i say decent in that it wasn't after midnight like last time, or 2am in your case.
    But yeah, a double episode, but i didn't get to watch it... hey that was just last night... boy today was a long day, i had to start work at 6am, thats why i couldnt watch it. hopefully it will be on again, though i may as well jsut watch my dvd of it, but i just started rewatching Sg1 from the beginning, I even watched the 1994 movie first, but after that i'm gonna watch firefly again.

firefly317

[7]Dec 31, 2006

stupid FOX.

thenightflierK

[8]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    Had watched a few episodes of it on FOX originally, loved it. The network then started their musical time slots and showing the episodes out of order, and I lost track of it. Picked up the boxset when it first came out, watched everything in order and it became one of my favorite shows of all time.

firefly317

[9]Jan 1, 2007
    musical time slots is a good term for it.

_XLeGeNdX_

[10]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 12
    My brother owned it and I watched a tiny bit of an episode with him. I really injoyed that ten minutes so when my brother went on Spring Break I watched all 14 episodes that week.

Crim89

[11]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    I actually went backwards through Whedon's work (Except Rosanne and Toy Story but I wasn't old enough to know who wrote Toy Story... despite the fact I wrote 7 sequels to it myself lol).

I started with Astonishing X-Men (comic) and loved that, so then I went to watch Serenity and straight away I fell in love with the characters. Then I HAD to pick up Firefly which just increaed my Whedon love.

After that I started watching Buffy on Sky One and Angel on Sky One and Sci-Fi when I should of been studying for my exams... I loved them so I picked them all up on DVD.

Telkiar

[12]Jan 3, 2007
    Joss Whedon. Did. Toy Story?
    I can't belive that.
    Joss Whedon, the master of Sci-Fi/Supernatural did a kids movie?
    *checks*
    He was also crew on Titan A.E and Atlantis? Wonders will never cease.

beachball417

[13]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 6

I saw that the movie Serenity was out in theaters and had really good reviews, and since it was sci-fi I thought I'd see it.  After it was over I was so intrigued, and found out there was show that the movie was based on, so I bought the series on dvd and have been loving it ever since.

alison_974

[14]Jan 3, 2007
    Yeah, I remember just a couple of months ago i watched toy story again... just for fun... and i was surprised to see his name... whereas all the previous times i had seen it i had no idea who he was.... though it doesn't really change anything about the movie toy story... i just love it!!

Ahny

[15]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 34
    I pretty much live at the Roger's Video store and had gone through most of their stuff. I was desperate for something. I remeber kinda hearing about Serenity, nothing other than the name, but it looked kinda neat from the picture on the box (yes that is how I often choose movies! When you watch sereval hundred a year, it's the only way). I notice it was a Weedon movie, figured what the Hell. Loved it, bouht it, then bought the series, fell in more love, and have been spreading the love ever since.

Clemontine

[16]Jan 4, 2007
    I was visiting my sis and she entertained me by showing me The Trian Job. It was cool, but as we know its not one of the greatest epis. I forgot about the show until years later, when I lived with my sis. We have very similar tastes and are both big sci-fi fans. She had the whole series from when they aired (I believe this was still before the DVDs came out) and I borrowed them just to check it out, which I will do with any sci-fi series that is recommended to me. Obviously you know that rest...been a huge fan ever since!

I have of course seen the unaired epis since the DVDs came out. And my whole family went to see Serenity together.
    Edited on 01/04/2007 12:17am

lilmissheaven

[17]Jan 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    Well I have always loved Joss' work from Rosanne to Aliens Resurrection to Toy Story.... I have this {slight} obsession with Buffy and Angel... Anyway I didn't really know much about Firefly til the movie Serenity was released... I watched the movie and went "whoa this is awesome" so I bought the Firefly season and fell inlove with it.. and now here I am... with another obsession.....

alison_974

[18]Jan 4, 2007
    I wish they'd make a sequel movie... I'd love to go to the cinema and watch it when it first comes out, unfortunately I wasn't a fan when it came out previously (i'm sorry, i'd just never heard of it ), though the cinema in my town is so crappy, we probably wouldn't even get it!!

Telkiar

[19]Jan 4, 2007
    Well. This is a fact AND a rumor: There may be two more movies one day. Morena Baccarin apparently signed on for a trilogy of Serenity movies. It'd make snese if you were hoping for more movies, get the actors to agree up front to three, then try to get the bigwigs to sign in, too.
    So there may still be hope for atleast a sequal.

What I hated most was Australia got Serenity a day and a half before the rest of the world. I missed out on premire, though.
    Next time though. Front of the line, day one, Possibly in the brownest coat I have (Driza-bone all the way)

B-MaN003

[20]Jan 5, 2007
    • level: 12
    firefly317 wrote:

stupid FOX.

ditto dude