Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

How'd you get into Firefly?

masterofaeons

[41]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 15
    keturah1013 wrote:
    kronikaid wrote:
    mostly because off the bat he stated that it was created By Joss Whedon......Buffy..*cringe*)

I have never, ever, ever been even remotely a fan of Buffy. I would rather gouge out my own eyes than watch it. Anyway, I have a couple of online friends who are Browncoats and they talk about it all the time so when I saw it at EzyDVD for $30 I bought it and watched it. And I fell in love.

I couldn't watch Buffy until after I loved Firefly. Now I can tolerate what I couldn't take seriously before and embrace it. Angel is a great series that has some "Mal-ish" moments. I'd never count them out.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MichaudMR

[42]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 17

I was channel surfing and tripped over the Serenity (pilot) episode part way through its broadcast. After that I was intrigued but could not find another episode because those fracking idiots at FOX were fooling around trying to bury the show. For the life of me I can not figure out why someone would spend the kind of money it takes to produce something like this and then do everything in their power to blow its guts out.

Needless to say, I've divested all of my stock holdings in Fox Entertainment and their parent, News Corporation, based on the notion that management this incompetent shouldn't see a dime of my investment capitol. 

After I found out about the shows cancellation I completely lost interest, figuring there's no point in getting involved with a series that had such a short run.  I didn't want to be disappointed because there would be no more new material.

Anyways, I received the box set for Christmas and now I'm hooked in spite of myself. May there be a special place in hell for those who canceled Firefly. 

electricpeppers

[43]Feb 24, 2007
    • level: 26
    Well I was always into Joss's other shows so after Firefly was cancelled (oops) I managed to track down the DVDs and watch it. Though I wish I'd made more effort while it was on telly! 

indasy

[44]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 12
     I used to talk about tv all the time with my Lead at work. He started talking about Firfly and how good of a show it was. I ended up downloading the series, and not watching it for a month or two afterwards because I didn't think I would like it. Once I watched it I got hooked and finished the series in a few days. Then I watched the movie.
    I ended up telling another friend at work about the show and he went and baught the dvd set because it was on sale. Took him 3 months, but once he watched an episode he finished it in a weekend.

DavidsGal765

[45]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    My dad had watched Firefly and we bought it for him for his birthday and it looked interesting so I watched and it was true love! After That we bought Serenity then I ended up watching Buffy and then later Angel. Anything to follow our dear Mr. Whedon. =]

hobbleit

[46]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 17

I'd loved Buffy and Angel since I first saw them but had never watched Firefly.

Until I saw the trailer for Serenity.  I then saw that, got totally addicted and had to buy the series.

Finnegan77

[47]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 27

I managed to see most of the televised episodes the first time around, then, like many others, started sticking pins into little FOX executive dolls.  Was first in line when Serenity came out, and still have a copy of the movie poster on my refrigerator.  Then I had to turn all my co-workers onto it - just managed to get the box-set back from a friend last month.  I guess that means it's time to watch all the eps again!

Of course, being a stalwart Joss fan from Buffy and Angel days, I'm always on the lookout for more of his brilliance.  Sorry he's no longer part of the Wonder Woman thing - he could have brought some actual intelligence to that franchise. 

Revolos55

[48]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 33
    I was just a huge Joss Whedon fan, since I started watching Buffy, so I was excited about anything he was doing. Firefly won me over on its own merits though. It's fantastic.

Lazy_TV_fan

[49]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 36
    I remember seeing a trailer online for the film many months before it came out and thought it looked cool. I looked it up and found out it was based on a TV show. I vaguely remember seeing previews for that show before it had aired on FOX, but never did watch it then. Then I found out Sci-Fi was going to show it on Friday nights starting in July, I believe and I started watching (and taping) them all. Then I went to see the film (skipped a class that day to catch a last showing for the area) and thought it was great. Then bought the DVD for the film when it came out, then many months later bought the series when it was on sale. And that's about it.

llama74656

[50]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    My girlfriend dragged me to see this movie 'Serenity', i had no clue what it was about, nor that it was based form Firefly. We both loved it, me more than her i think. I looked up the movie online, found Firefly, and then bought the series. Only thing I love more the Firefly is Scrubs =)

pranalla

[51]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 5
    I remember that before the series started an article ran in "Entertainment Weekly" listing out the fall series premiers and described Firefly.  Being an avid Sci-fi genre fan I thought the show sounded pretty good and worth a shot.  And I tuned that first night and thought the show was great.

thompur

[52]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    MichaudMR wrote:

May there be a special place in hell for those who canceled Firefly. 

Along with Child Molesters... and people who talk at the theatre...

As for me, I was, and still am, a HUGE Buffy fan from the beginning. Then Angel(Awsome!) So when Firefly came along, I knew it would be great!

By the way, I love the commentaries by Joss and the gang on the DVD's. The best of any DVD I've ever heard!!

Edited on 03/10/2007 3:58pm

mischa2uk

[53]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 16
    I'm a fan of both Buffy and Angel as well as being a science fiction fan so I wanted to see Firefly because it's by Joss Whedon. Unfortunately Firefly has only been shown on an obscure British digital channel so I had to wait for the DVD. I was able to buy a copy "for a song" on ebay. Initially I didn't like the Cowboy aspect, but now I'm as hooked as very one else here.

blufuzycow

[54]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 19
    i've been a fan of Buffy and Angel since the beginning but b/c FOX is evil i could never track down Firefly, i forgot about it until i saw commercials for Serenity which i planned on seeing souly b/c Joss Whedon made it not even knowing what it was about yet, i then learned that Sci-Fi channel was going to run a marathon of Firefly and i was able to catch a few eps that way, enough to get me hooked, then i quickly ordered the DVDs online and i have been hooked since then and saw Serenity in threaters three times...i've also managed to get my family and best friend hooked on the show... 

acsgrlie

[55]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    Actually I saw the movie first and loved it and then learned it was based on a tv show, so the next day i ordered the dvd set off ebay.

whitefire187

[56]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 2

My friend at work is a huge buffy fan and he told me about Firefly. I bought the dvd set and loved it.

keturah1013

[57]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 13
    thompur wrote:
    By the way, I love the commentaries by Joss and the gang on the DVD's. The best of any DVD I've ever heard!!

Other good DVD commentaries:

Alias Season One Finale - The whole cast, and I mean WHOLE cast.The make fun of Vince Vaughn's driving.

NCIS Season Two Finale "Twilight" - Michael Weatherly, Pauley Perrette and John Kelly(writer). They're playing a drinking game while they're doing it. LOL
    Edited on 03/18/2007 5:29pm

Skaramouche

[58]Mar 23, 2007
    • level: 12

I got into it when I was walking past the cinemas with a friend of mine and there was a huge Serenity poster outside.  She took one look at it and started hyperventilating going, "I LOVE THAT SHOW!!!".  I had no idea what she was talking about and said so and she gave me *that* look.  You know the one.  Hehe, the one that I now give to other people!!

She lent me the DVDs and I watched them all in two days.  But unfortunately, when I'd finished watching them, it was in the space between Serenity being out in the cinemas and it coming to DVD, so I had to wait a good while before I got to see Serenity.

And now I'm spreading the love...

PS How exciting is it when you find someone that loves Firefly?!  You instantly bond.  I love the browncoat connection!!

petef20

[59]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 22

I remeber wanting a film to watch or something and I saw Firefly in a shop for about £15. All I really new about it was that it has created by Joss Whedon and had been cancelled before the first season had finished. I loved Buffy and Angel, and so thought worst case senario it's rubbish and I'm out £15. I could live with that, so I bought it and was blown away!

I remeber thinking before I started watching it that, even though I knew it had a loyal fanbase, that any show cancelled can't be as amazing as everyone seemed to be claiming. I mean TV execs aren't that thick! How wrong I was!

Marjee

[60]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    I was bored one night and decided to watch Serenity on payperview. I figured it would a fun little scifi flick. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It was fun, and interesting. I ended up watching it every time it came on tv. But I couldn't stop thinking there had to be more to the story. Then I found out that it had been based on Firefly the series. I could almost hear the light bulb go off over my head. Right now  I'm in the middle of watching the series, which I just bought off Amazon, and I'm loving it!