Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

How'd you get into Firefly?

farscapefanuk

[61]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 32
    I watched a Firefly Marathon on the UK SCIFI channel and got hooked. Like the next day i went out an bought the DVD set and watched the lot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

imyourvirus

[62]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 7
    I randomly found it on some dude's fserv dled it, watched it, fell in love with, f-in amazing show.

dadaboy91

[63]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    I actually want to know what exactly this show is about?
    I started watching Buffy last month and I borrow Buffy from my public library and the lady who checks out the movies says she loves Buffy and keeps telling me to watch Firefly. And since I go in every three days to get a new Buffy disc, she actually held Firefly Disc 1 for me and gave it to me yesterday.
    Anyways, I'm just wondering what I should expect?

piano_pimp

[64]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 10
    Strangely enough, I saw Serenity first.  A bunch of friends of mine had seen the TV show and talked me in to going.  I was surprised by how good it was (the promos made it look really lame), so I borrow the DVDs for the series and caught up.  So at least the movie attracted one new fan, eh?

S8ANC

[65]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 1
    I got into it after I'd seen the film Serenity - I hadn't even heard of Firefly until then. once I saw the film I had to see the rest and then I felt empty after I found out no more series were planned.

The film left many things still un-answered and so did the film so I hoped and still hope for a renewal of some kind.

Two leading characters are dead although this isn't as bad as it seems we could carry it on after the film or we could do a couple of series before the Serenity bit happened. There is so much room because at the end of the series everyone and everything was stil on and around that wonderful little sip the film came and book is off and on a planet and the beautiful Inara is off and on her own planet too. This gap gives us a massive chance to re-live book and wash and the group we have come to love as a whole.

S8ANC

[66]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 1

dadaboy91 wrote:
    I actually want to know what exactly this show is about? I started watching Buffy last month and I borrow Buffy from my public library and the lady who checks out the movies says she loves Buffy and keeps telling me to watch Firefly. And since I go in every three days to get a new Buffy disc, she actually held Firefly Disc 1 for me and gave it to me yesterday. Anyways, I'm just wondering what I should expect?

Expect great things and then when it's all over and no more episodes to watch sorrow

Katz_uk27

[67]May 1, 2007
    • level: 13

After Christmas there was a sale on Buffy and Angel box sets so I bought them all and watched in order and had to keep going with my collection.  My friend had told me about it but he knows me well and told me I would like it, but I watched serenity first three times in two days.  I hate FOX as a rule and tend to watch things once they have survived their first series, I can't honestly say I would have put myself through watching the only series had it not been for serenity.

lennydonkey

[68]May 3, 2007
    • level: 12

I actually feel like I owe Joss Whedon an apology. During the initial run I remember that it looked like a show I would definitely enjoy, but never really made an effort to watch. Seeing maybe one episode. When it was canceled I figured "oh well how good could it have been."

Flash Forward to last year when Netflix recomends it for me, so I figure I'll give it a shot. After watching the first disc I went out and bought the series because I just couldn't wait to see more episodes. I watched the first three discs in two days. Then I realized with dread that I was rapidly going to run out of new episodes of the best show I've seen in forever. I actually forced myself to watch the last disc and Serinity one episode a week so I could stretch out the experience.

So at this time I would like to say I'm sorry for not supporting the series when it was on Fox or seeing the movie in the theater. I was one of those dumb people who never gave it a chance until it was too late.

Feiturfroskur

[69]May 7, 2007
    • level: 2

thru a friend 

acsgrlie

[70]May 8, 2007
    • level: 8
    I actually saw the movie "Serenity" first and thought it was awesome. Then I learned it was based on a television show and bought Season 1 online the next day.

charmedmatzzie

[71]May 9, 2007
    • level: 3

Well I was just zapping around with my dad and then we found out about Firefly.. a few yeards ago.. we loved it.. still dont understand that they killed it =( pah!

What..
    ...there is a dvdbox??
    Where do you get it? where can I get it? :O

xx!

jeepgirl15068

[72]May 12, 2007
    • level: 5
    I got bored one day so I went to rent a few movies. The cover of Serenity looked cool so I rented it and loved it. A few weeks later, I read on the internet about Firefly so I bought that too and loved it.

rockinlibrarian

[73]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    alison_974 wrote:
    ps. now i'm watching buffy, only because of the firefly connection. That's like i watch Cleopatra 2525 only cos Gina Torres is in it.

My husband never liked Buffy, but after we watched Firefly straight through along with commentary, now he's talking about trying to watch Buffy again just for the connection too!

To answer the question, we saw "The Train Job" when it first aired on TV and laughed so hard because it was EXACTLY like our role-playing campaigns-- every character we immediately could associate with the characters of one of our friends. But of course the old story about how we were never able to FIND the show again after that happened (though we both think we saw the first half of "Trash" before and I'm sure I've seen the beginning-- up to the opening credits-- of "The Message", but we can't figure out HOW because according to this site and others they never aired on Fox and we didn't get SciFi anymore by the time they aired THERE...). When the movie came out we remembered the series-- uh, the episode we saw-- and went to see it, and later rented it, and we'd seen it a few times before we got ahold of the series to watch....

FlyinBryan36

[74]Jul 5, 2007
    I did about the same as jeepgirl. My wife got Serenity because she heard it was good. We liked it so she went and got Firefly and we totally fell in love with it. I like it because it is sci-fi, but it doesn't have a bunch of wacked out aliens and things that are just beyond comprehension. The worlds as diff civ's are cool because you have a modicum of interest in your own species and how they relate.

I also like the evil one world gov't. The only thing it lacked was the pivotal evil leader of the whole 'aliance'. If there is one, I didn't pick it up in the movie.

The characters had just great chemistry. The Cap'tn was just the perfect fit. He really just knocked it out of the park on each epi. Imora is just so great to look at, and that tension between the two was just awesome.

Just wishin' they could bring them all back.

Sirius452

[75]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 10
    I found Firefly through tv.com actually. Someone in the Lost forum said that if I liked Lost, Heroes, Kyle XY and Dark Angel there's a good chance I would like Firefly as well. And they were right, how could I have missed this? I rented it, and now it's on my list of things to buy, right after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. So, I must ask what else everyone watches, I may be missing something good.

Iskreth

[76]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 15
    I actually was interested in John Doe before it started...and when I watched the pilot, my friend told me to leave the TV on so we could see what came after it...

Needless to say, Firefly was MUCH better than John Doe, out of order or not.

petef20

[77]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 22
    I knew about the show, through things like trailers on the Buffy DVDs, but never watched it. That was until one easter break, when I was bored and needed something to entertain me. That's when I bought Firefly, having never seen an episode. Thought worst case scenario was that it'd be crap and I'd wasted £15 on it. Of course it turned out to be amazing which was more than I could've hoped for.

electricpeppers

[78]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 26
    I was a long time fan of Buffy and Angel so I got into the show because Joss Whedon wrote it ( I knew it would be worthwhile).

SRH55

[79]Aug 2, 2007
    Last summer I started watching the show Angel on TNT in the morning and decided I wanted to watch the whole series. So I ordered the series on netflix and after that was talking to my friend who said that Angel was connected to Buffy the Vampire slayer and I said "Whats that?" and she said I should watch it because Angel was a spin-off and I decided to give it a try. Then After Buffy was done, she told me that Firefly was made by Joss Wheadon so I should watch that because it's a great show, and only one season. So Now i'm on the 3rd episode.

Idbeolderifiwas

[80]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 20
    I found it through a few friends of mine. They were always talking about it, so I looked around and found a few episodes, and fell in love. As soon as I could I went out and bought not only the DVD set but also the Serenity DVD!