Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

How'd you get into Firefly?

Goodsmack

[81]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 3
    I first saw the movie, which I loved, and I had no idea that there was a serie before the movie. This i found out a few years after and I whatched like every episode in one day.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kalah_

[82]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    I was discussing B5 with a friend of mine, and he said I should look into Firefly as well. I borrowed the series from him and got hooked. Picked it up on Amazon in a matter of days, along with the movie "Serenity".

Fwirrel

[83]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 52
    my friend made me watch the first episode and I got hooked

NeptuneSky

[84]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 3
    Back in the summer of 05' my uncle recommended that I watch Buffy and Angel on DVD. I went ahead and bought the first 3 seasons of Buffy and by the time I was half way through Buffy season 2 I was hooked and already looking into buying the rest of the Buffy and Angel DVD's.

While looking up the DVD's I noticed that Joss also did the show Firefly which I remember hearing about but never actually saw so I decided to get Firefly on DVD after I finished watching all of Buffy and Angel....come to find out Serenity was about to come out a few weeks after I bought the Firefly DVD. I quickly watched Firefly and loved it then went and watched Serenity a week later and loved that as well.

mcatrage

[85]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    Internet was getting all excited around the release of the movie and people were making firefly for serenity videos for those of us that didn't watch the series. So I watched that and the movie and decided I had to watch the series to get the full experience and I'm definately happy I did.

petef20

[86]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 22
    If only all of us had discovered it when it was first aired, maybe the story of Firefly would be very different....

breve711

[87]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    petef20 wrote:
    If only all of us had discovered it when it was first aired, maybe the story of Firefly would be very different....

that is so true. well i got hooked because it was a joss whedon show and i'd watch anything he was involved with. i never went online much before so i didn't know about firefly till serenity got released, i went to see the movie a couple times then eventually went out and bought the series on dvd. now it's just a matter of trying to convert my friends and family (already converted 2, lots more to go!)

HellOnEarth101

[88]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 15
    I had no idea Firefly existed, until I came to tvDOTcom and discovered a whole bunch of shows that had been around for ages; yet I didn't know much about them, seeing as Australian channels don't really have many US shows, unless they are majorly popular.
    Anyway, I bought Firefly, and it had been sitting on my shelf for the past 5 or 6 months. Then, last week, it was the beginning of the holidays, and I was so bored that I thought I might as well try it.

And I must say, Fox is kerazy.
    Never should have cancelled it.
    *sigh*

SsriTelQuessir

[89]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 26

I never even heard about Firefly until my room mate bought the DVD set about a year ago. She got it on a recomendation watched a few, then told me that I absolutely had to watch it. I was hooked right from the 1st ep. Firefly has got to be one of the best two or three shows ever...it seems like the better a show is, the more likely it will be cancelled. Explain to me how else shows like Sienfeld and Friends could last 10 year. My god, it's a biblical sign of Armageddon. Anyway, that's how I got into Firefly.

Ssri Tel'Quessir

emphasizethis

[90]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 10
    I got into this show 2 months ago. saw the dvd set for $20, rushed through the series and saw the movie. became a fan ever since.

kartoffelnsalat

[91]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 1
    My friend is big into it, and she kept recommending it to me. So finally I cracked and said "OK!" and rented it out.. well I wasn't disappointed!

thewiseman

[92]Dec 31, 2007
    • level: 9

Goodsmack wrote:
    I first saw the movie, which I loved, and I had no idea that there was a series before the movie. This i found out a few years after and I watched like every episode in one day.
    Pretty much how i got into it.

I saw the movie first, had no idea about firefly. I told a friend how great it would be if they made Serenity into a tv show, thats when he told me there is already one, I was shocked that I never heard of it before. So I went out and brought the dvd box set and loved it.

I can't believe this show got cancelled, and yet we have to put up with reality tv show's instead.

Edited on 12/31/2007 8:33am

Merlin4421

[93]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 7

It amazes me how many found the show after the movie or after the show had been cancelled. I wish you all were around when it first aired this show might still be going heh. Sometimes I wonder if fox maybe advertised the series a little more..maybe peeps woulda watched it. If I remember right I was just lucky catching a preview for it becuase fox really didnt do much advertising for it. I was hooked from the preview back then and watched it when it first aired.. Me and my buddy were very bummed when it was taken off as we both loved the show. Eventhough it wasn't the easiest to follow because of fox's dumb order they chose. I really hope anyone that was around fox back then have all been fired.

Now I have the movie love it and I actually just got the complete series on DVD. I watched it recently and was amazed at how many episodesI missed and how much the plot made sense in the correct order. (I didnt have dvr back then and I was going to college and working full time could be why I missed several back when it first aired)

It's so sad to see such an amazing series not even given a chance with all the crap shows that are aired and given extra seasons these days.(I wish the show would come back but I know it never will and I would only want it back with all the same actors/actresses becuase they made the show what it was....also it just wouldnt be the same without wash and book as well )

Edited on 01/03/2008 6:35am
    Edited 3 total times.

Liger_zero6

[94]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 13

Since I watched Serenity I thought that there was going to be a series so I watched it on DVD and That was awesome.

SeerMagicX

[95]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 16
    girlfriend broke up with me before summer, then i ran out of shows. so i tried buffy the vampire slayer. loved it (now favorite show of alltime). which lead me to watch Angel, also loved it. so i went to find what else joss whedon has done, which lead me to firefly. and nothing has ticked me off more.... i hate HATE that it was cancelled. worse crime in the history of tv

andzia18

[96]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 6

I, like many of us here, got into the show recently. I caught the second half of the movie Serenity and set the DVR to record it when it came on again. It sat in my DVR for a couple of months before I remembered that I wanted to watch it. I watched it and was thoroughly amused but moved on. However, it insidiously crept into the back of my mind. I started doing a little research online and discovered that SciFi Channel was doing a Firefly marathon later on in the week.

Needless to say, I have yet to move on. My Christmas stash consisted of: the DVD set of Firefly, the collector's edition of Serenity, the 2 official Companion bks to Firefly and the hardcover edition of the comic, "Those left Behind". Still waiting on the Official Companion to Serenity. sigh. I guess I'll survive until I can get it for myself.

faerielights

[97]Jan 18, 2008
    • level: 6

It was easy for me to get into Firefly. I loved both Buffy and Angel (watching them religiously) then I heard about Joss Whedon making a show about "space cowboys" and I fell in love before I even saw an episode.

Stupid Fox for screwing up Firefly. It was amazing as was the movie. I miss it greatly still and am still slightly bitter at Fox. I don't trust any good show in their hands anymore.

dragonfly_pat

[98]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 19
    My daughter bought the DVDs in November and nagged me into watching the first episode. That's all it took. Love the story and the characters.

lennydonkey

[99]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 12

SeerMagicX wrote:
    girlfriend broke up with me before summer, then i ran out of shows. so i tried buffy the vampire slayer. loved it (now favorite show of alltime). which lead me to watch Angel, also loved it. so i went to find what else joss whedon has done, which lead me to firefly. and nothing has ticked me off more.... i hate HATE that it was cancelled. worse crime in the history of tv

I'm exactly the opposite. One day I rented Firefly off Netflix because it got recomended and I thought "what the heck." I raced through the first disc then bought the series. Eventully forcing myself to watch just one a day since I knew there were so few.

When looking for more showsI found out Buffy was made by Joss Whedon. Now I have been watching those at a record rate. (currently Buffy season 5, Angel season 2) It was such a pleasure to find a Joss Whedon show that actually made it and lasted for so long that I had no idea existed.Or more accurately,I knew the show Buffy existed, but Inever realized it was a great Joss Whedon show. It was like striking gold.

archangelwho

[100]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    I'm a big sci-fi fan and was hooked at the start. My wife never watched it until I got the DVDs for my birthday. She got hooked.There is not much in the way of TV/movies we both like so when there is something it become a little extra. From time to time we will pull the box set and the movie out and watchthem together.