Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

How'd you get into Firefly?

secondshooter

[101]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 3

One of my older brother's friends loaneed us her boxedset of DVDs. We watched all of them and became instant fans.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pippi_sofie

[102]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 9

I camed over firefly by a misstake on the internet and after I saw the first episode I was stuck I think I saw all episodes in 3 day and my brother bought me serenety for christmus I still love the show and want it back. It's a shame that fox cancelled it

bring firefly back!!!

allaboutmoxie

[103]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 14

Rented Serenity with a friend of mine. Thought it was awesome.

Still didn't connect it with Firefly until I started watching all of Joss Whedon's stuff. Was very reluctant to watch it, since I usually particularly hate science-fiction stuff. I fell in love with the show immediately.

Not sure if it was ever even broadcasted on Dutch TV. Might be an explanation for why I hadn't heard of it before.

uofc57

[104]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 16
    Some girls in my dorm were watching the episode "Safe" in the rec room. I walked in on the scene of River dancing, and got completely hooked. I still wish it was on the air. Stupid Fox!

Mrommy

[105]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 8
    I got the DVD, then boom. 2nd episode won me.

SsriTelQuessir

[106]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 26
    faerielights wrote:

It was easy for me to get into Firefly. I loved both Buffy and Angel (watching them religiously) then I heard about Joss Whedon making a show about "space cowboys" and I fell in love before I even saw an episode.

Stupid Fox for screwing up Firefly. It was amazing as was the movie. I miss it greatly still and am still slightly bitter at Fox. I don't trust any good show in their hands anymore.

Dude, I love your av. Mr. Flibble is cross!!

zzbeach

[107]May 6, 2008
    • level: 12

I have to admit that when Firefly came out on Fox I avoided it. I didn't like any other Joss Whedon show and I wasn't impressed with the promos. Then Serenity came and went in the theaters. Still didn't see it. About the time Serenity was coming out on DVD, my appendix acted up and I had to have an operation. While laying in bed for a week after the operation, Sci Fi Channel had a Firefly marathon. Daytime tv stinks so I watched the Firefly marathon. I was hooked about halfway through the first episode. (I caught the marathon halfway and my first episode was Ariel.) I then bought the series and the movie. Yes I know that many of want to punish me for not watching initially but don't you think the pain of a bursting appendix is enough??!! LOL

SamTherra

[108]May 6, 2008

My husband and I watched the show when it originally aired. It was back to back with John Doe and we watched them both.

We were also extremely upset when both were cancelled. I must admit the JD cancellation was the worst to us, but only because it was left as a cliffhanger with our favorite character being reveled as the bad guy!

Otherwise, Firefly was the show me missed most. AND it was the very first DVD Boxed Set we ever bought. We were very happy that the DVD set showed the episodes in the proper order AND showed the ones FOX never aired!

sholesovsky

[109]May 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    I started watching Firefly because I am a fan of all things Joss Whedon. Firefly was such an incredible show. I watch it over and over on dvd, can not get enough of this show !

Igarka

[110]May 7, 2008
    The people at my FLGS suggested it to me knowing of my love for Buffy, and boy where they rigth to do so. I love them for this.

raygoshay

[111]May 7, 2008
    • level: 15

How did I become a masochist by inflicting myself with the addiction instilled by this series?

I walked in through the back door after tripping over a lawn sprinkler and a Big Wheels bike - figuratively speaking.

Started when I was searching in Suncoast (miss that store) for a DVD of some science-fiction film I hadn't seen yet. I was in my wheelchair at the time and the "S" section was inches from my face. Lo and behold, Serenity. One of the few advantages of my state was the fact that store personnel are keen on helping you find things and generally are sincere in their attempt to make you feel you're appreciated. So, no sooner had I picked out the box - presto - I got, "That's a goood movie!" from a lurking attendant. I was familiar with the guy, my having gone into the place every other week over a few years. Business was slow so we chatted and the resident bespectacled Goth girl chimed in. After discussing Ray Harryhausen effects (she was stocking Jason & the Argonauts) we got back to serenity (and it's time I did here too). Both of them had me three-quarters sold when I recalled the trailer I had seen a couple years back (I never forget an unforgettable trailer, ahem). I visited my internal check list - Space, check... remembered Adam Baldwin spouting some rarefied gruff-ff, check - Remembered the evil fact that some intense dark sprite was kicking ass - Remembered (please forgive me here) said intense dark sprite was barefoot in more than one scene (thanks Joss)...

I bought the film, watched it five times that week, once with commentary, once in French. Watched the specials (ample references to a fabled short-lived series), went back to the store the next week, ranted ranted ranted, blessed them fine store folk and proceeded to purchase the entire Firefly series and Jason & the Argonauts (my videotape copy was old and culled from TV).

You might ask me, "Why didn't you catch the show when it aired?" Good query. My good excuse is, I don't have my television hooked up for broadcast. With thousands of videos I don't need the expense and irritation of dealing with TV. It does have some redeeming moments (presently such as Lost) but that's the enlightened path I've chosen. Hey, I read a lot - yes a lot, some would say Too Much Ray.

Now I'm ranting here. Be happy in my relative normalcy - OK, semi-controlled eccentricity. I could have my eyes glued to YouTube watching Payless Shoesource commercials.

sonic13066

[112]May 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    was walking through target and saw serenity on the shelf and friend told me it was based on the show firefly, bought firefly then after enjoying firefly bought serenity.

archangelwho

[113]May 25, 2008
    • level: 18
    Big sci-fi fan who trys to watch any new show that comes out. I was hooked from the first. The thing is my wife is not a sci-fi fan but got me the DVDs for my birth day and sat down and watched them with me and also got hooked. She as big of a fan as I'm.

archangelwho

[114]May 25, 2008
    • level: 18
    raygoshay wrote:

How did I become a masochist by inflicting myself with the addiction instilled by this series?

I walked in through the back door after tripping over a lawn sprinkler and a Big Wheels bike - figuratively speaking.

Started when I was searching in Suncoast (miss that store) for a DVD of some science-fiction film I hadn't seen yet. I was in my wheelchair at the time and the "S" section was inches from my face. Lo and behold, Serenity. One of the few advantages of my state was the fact that store personnel are keen on helping you find things and generally are sincere in their attempt to make you feel you're appreciated. So, no sooner had I picked out the box - presto - I got, "That's a goood movie!" from a lurking attendant. I was familiar with the guy, my having gone into the place every other week over a few years. Business was slow so we chatted and the resident bespectacled Goth girl chimed in. After discussing Ray Harryhausen effects (she was stocking Jason & the Argonauts) we got back to serenity (and it's time I did here too). Both of them had me three-quarters sold when I recalled the trailer I had seen a couple years back (I never forget an unforgettable trailer, ahem). I visited my internal check list - Space, check... remembered Adam Baldwin spouting some rarefied gruff-ff, check - Remembered the evil fact that some intense dark sprite was kicking ass - Remembered (please forgive me here) said intense dark sprite was barefoot in more than one scene (thanks Joss)...

I bought the film, watched it five times that week, once with commentary, once in French. Watched the specials (ample references to a fabled short-lived series), went back to the store the next week, ranted ranted ranted, blessed them fine store folk and proceeded to purchase the entire Firefly series and Jason & the Argonauts (my videotape copy was old and culled from TV).

You might ask me, "Why didn't you catch the show when it aired?" Good query. My good excuse is, I don't have my television hooked up for broadcast. With thousands of videos I don't need the expense and irritation of dealing with TV. It does have some redeeming moments (presently such as Lost) but that's the enlightened path I've chosen. Hey, I read a lot - yes a lot, some would say Too Much Ray.

Now I'm ranting here. Be happy in my relative normalcy - OK, semi-controlled eccentricity. I could have my eyes glued to YouTube watching Payless Shoesource commercials.

I too miss Suncoast. The staff there was so much helpful than those at Best Buy.

Jason5550123

[115]May 26, 2008
    • level: 11
    My mom made me watch Serenity, and I loved it! So I bought the show and loved that as well.

mrs_boreanaz

[116]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 2
    I wated for it for half a year!! I had heard that was coming and I couldn't wait for another Joss show!!

nileinsect

[117]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 1
    years back I was so bored and dissilusioned with what was on offer on the tv, and at cinemas for that matter, that I went on an internet search, stumbled across it really, best find in the verse, was happy to introduce many friends and some family members to it, and they love it too.

sollunaestrella

[118]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 7

I have a friend at school who loves it, and he would talk about it constantly and try to get people to watch it. (He likes to think of it as spreading the Firefly gospel.) I didn't have the time, but eventually, I was practically the only person in my circle of friends who was out of the loop. I finally watched it about a month and a half ago and got hooked.

So I recently ordered the DVDs for myself. I haven't seen Serenity yet, but I plan to buy and watch it as soon as I can.

pepperau

[119]Jun 21, 2008
    • level: 1

I got into Firefly a couple of years ago when we had two free box office movies per month to watch on our Foxtel Platinum package. It was slim pickings that month as I remember and I kept skipping past "Serenity" having never heard of it. Eventually I clicked the information banner to see what it was and it said something like "whacky sci fi comedy". Being a sci fi fan I thought I'd give it a go and selected it and put it on to record to watch later.

Thinking that from the description the movie was probably in the ilk of 'Spaceballs' or 'Galaxy Quest' (which I quite like as a sci fi spoof) I put the recording on the 'to watch later' pile. When I finally got around to watching it, well I was very pleasantly surprised with the opening scenes but it had me at "what was that - was that the primary buffer panel?".

From that point on I knew I had a gem in my dvd and after watching the movie twice I googled it and realised it was a movie spawned from an ill fated series called Firefly. The rest is history. I bought the DVD of the first and only season and everytime it is on Foxtel on the Sci Fi channel I IQ it just to boost the ratings.

I recently saw a paving stone with "Serenity" nicely engraved on it with a dragonfly with inset glittery wings (near enough to a firefly) and that now takes pride of place by our front door and everyone comments on it. It makes me smile everyday when I see it. I'm glad I found Firefly, it's something I can go back to and see something new every time I watch it.

Buffylover365

[120]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 16

I was in HMV one day and saw "Firefly" for 30 dollars, so I figured "What the heck?" I bought it and watched the whole series within about two days.

I'm very, very glad I got into the series: since then, I've had the amazing opportunity to meet Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Morena Baccarin (Inara) and Christina Hendricks (Saffron).

I love the series and the movie was fantastic! I would love to see some kind of continuation, though!

Edited on 07/01/2008 7:27pm