Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

How'd you get into Firefly?

-renn-

[141]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 18
    I was visiting my mother and turned the TV on and they were showing Jaynestown. I loved it. Scifi with a western feeling? Perfect! I had never heard of the series, and had no cable at the time. I remember asking a scifi encyclopedia of a friend about that, and he dismissed it, "it's already over in the US, didn't last more than a season". But the memory stayed with me. When I could get the whole series to watch, I did. And loved it more.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

relu84

[142]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 5
    I heard about Firefly a few years back, some people were saying it's the best sci-fi ever. While I was watching the Terminator series, I felt the need to find out where did Summer Glau play before... and found Firefly. Decided to get it on Blu-Ray and watch it as the first HD thing on my brand new LCD TV When I saw the pilot episode, I was a little 'meh, that's not good at all!', but I continued watching (what choice did I have anyway? ). The Train Job was nice, but the latter episodes were the really good ones. The next inevitable step was Serenity, the movie... and finally, voting for Firefly/Serenity in any web survey or online petition I could find Still hoping for Serenity 2 one day. Or Firefly season two? Nah, that's just a wish, like a sixth season of Sliders. Now, Dollhouse - be something good and don't get cancelled!

cra2ywolf

[143]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 7
    I usually give most shows a chance before I say yea or nay. So I was able to watch the premiere of the first episode FOX aired (The Train Job) and became instantly hooked especially after what happened near the end. Just wish I had known at the time that Joss's original pilot had aired later in the season. No wonder the stories seemed confusing. FOX seriously mishandled this show.

ana_jovanovic

[145]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 12
    Since I'm Eastern-European bound, there was no other way for me to get into Firefly except the Internet. More specifically, after Dr. Horrible (for shame, I am only one year into Firefly obsession, yet I cannot remember life before it ) I got hooked on watching various comicon videos of the gang on youtube, and Joss and Nathan were always mentioning Firefly so I had to check it out. I have to admit that my disturbing obsession with Nathan Fillion only began after Firefly, even though I've seen him in Buffy, and Waitress and other movies.

Wiidean

[146]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 2

Im a huge fan of Buffy and Angel and a friend of mine recommended firefly to me but i didnt listen a long time later after the show was

cancelled i spotted the series one dvd going for £19.99 and decided to give it a go i have to say it was one of the best decisions i have ever made

its sad to know that every time i re-watch the series and movie there will never be anymore episodes but what we did get was shiny

Edited on 04/24/2009 8:48am

meateater79

[147]Apr 24, 2009

Heard of Firefly and Serenity before, but never really had an interest of picking them up. After watching some TSCC episodes on Hulu, I became intrigued by Ms. Glau and her portrayal of a terminator. Decided to also check out Firefly on Hulu and was instantly hooked. The originally intented pilot "Serenity" was so well written I couldn't understand why FOX didn't like it for one. The characters were introduced, and yet enough unknowns about their past were hinted at to keep you wondering. A brief glimpse of the universe was also given (Alliance, Reavers, backwater planets). "The Train Job" was nice, but it would've been very confusing as characters were just being thrown into action.

So much potential in Firefly... Almost hurts me physically knowning that that's all we'll get.

The_Red_Shadow

[148]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    Serenity had just come out on DVD and the Firefly series DVD was $20. A look over of the case had me intrigued and some digging on the 'net that night compelled me to pick up both DVDs. I was hooked immediately. And I'll echo the common sentiment that it hurts to know we've probably seen all we'll ever see of Whedon's awesome show.

tv_lover066

[149]Sep 10, 2009

FIREFLY IS AWESOME!!!! Well, I knew it was a Joss show but never got round to watching it, I didnt even know it existed till the serenity movie came out due to my lack of connection with the world back then. Anyway, two weeks ago i decided to give it a go and it is by far one of THE best television creations ever. Thats right ... EVER. I really do wish it would come back...moreso than any other show because why it only got one season is baffling! And it left so much unexplored...like Shepherd Book!? Firefly had so much more to offer!

Whedon rules!

charlottedotcom

[150]Sep 18, 2009
    • level: 16
    Nathan Fillion was in it

Igarka

[151]Sep 19, 2009
    charlottedotcom wrote:
    Nathan Fillion was in it

Well thats how I got in to Castle

lazyjay

[152]Sep 19, 2009
    • level: 30
    Igarka wrote:
    Well thats how I got in to Castle

Haha, me too

CJJohanson

[153]Oct 18, 2009
    • level: 6

Well, I've been lurking in many Buffy Forums over the years and I heard many referances to Joss's other works and Firefly came up. Eventually I bought because of suggestions from other people and here I am today, still getting people into the series. You know how many people can't believe it was on 7-8 years ago and was cancelled.

historylover20

[154]Nov 21, 2009
    • level: 28

Hi everybody.

To be honest, I didn't get into Firefly until very recently. When it aired on TV, I tried watching it, because I love Joss Whedon. But, thanks to Fox, I couldn't exactly follow what was going on. Then, it disappeared, and I forgot about it.

Why I started watching it now is because I love Castle and Dr. Horrible. So, I started watching Firefly on Hulu. And I fell in love with it. Stupid Fox.

Kat

historylover20

[155]Nov 21, 2009
    • level: 28

OK, I'm now going through everybody's posts, and I know this is ancient news,

But...

Joss Whedon did Toy Story???? Dude, I gotta watch Toy Story again! I loved that movie, and I'm blown away Joss Whedon wrote it!

Wow...

Kat

Oforfsake

[156]Nov 26, 2009

Mostly XKCD comics + the number of geeky societies i'm a member of ( and trust me it's quite a considerable list) all raved about it.

To be honest, I almost wish I had never watched it.....the fact that there are only 14 episodes + a movie continually leaves me depressed and desiring more.

fullhans1

[157]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 4
    I read about it in a message board.

Igarka

[158]Jan 21, 2010
    historylover20 wrote:

But...

Joss Whedon did Toy Story???? Dude, I gotta watch Toy Story again! I loved that movie, and I'm blown away Joss Whedon wrote it!

Wow...

Kat

If I remember it correctly they had problems with the script and hired Joss to "fix" it.

Sagerian

[159]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 9
    I didn't even hear about Firefly/Serenity until maybe last year. I started watching Dollhouse and loved it, and then separately stumbled across Dr Horrible's sing-along blog. After discovering that Joss created both, I went back to find more of his stuff.

lazyjay

[160]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 30
    Igarka wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

But...

Wow...

Kat

If I remember it correctly they had problems with the script and hired Joss to "fix" it.

I'm convinced "You're a sad, strange little man." has to be a Joss line.