Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

The Official Serenity Discussion Thread Warning: Spoilers ahead

Charisma69

[1]Sep 30, 2005
    • level: 18
    I figured those of us who have seen the movie will wish to discuss it but I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't seen it so I made this handy thread.

Since the title has a Spoiler warning in it you should already be warned that we are discussing the movie here.

Please do not read further unless you aim to be spoiled!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Charisma69

[2]Sep 30, 2005
    I just finished watching the movie twice and it was awesome!

I do curse Joss for his sudden but inevitable betrayal though. Poor Wash and Book.

He made me laugh and cry and all manner of other emotional outbursts. The man has a gift for storytelling.

I liked the movie better the second time around. The first time it seemed a bit long at first. It went much faster the second time and River's visions made much more sense the second time around.

There were some things I could see coming but they were still very cool. I was definitely shocked when Wash died though. I could kill Joss for killing him like that. Just when you think everyone is safe he goes and does something like that.

It does make for wonderful storytelling though. The man is a master.

The actors did a hell of a job with their characters in this movie. I even like the Operative despite the fact that he was a bad guy.

Mr. Universe was pretty cool too.

So, I have a new theory about Book. I think he may have been an operative for the Alliance before he became a Sheppard. That maybe he became disillusioned by it and left the Alliance.

I just hope we get to find out. It will be a bit harder since he's dead now.

I really can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks of this movie.

Just remember, it hasn't been released in all countries yet so be mindful that we have some people here that won't get to see the movie for several months.

Please try to keep any comments about plot elements in this thread so they don't accidentally stumble upon them.

Y_Ghnott

[3]Oct 1, 2005
    • level: 4
    The movie was interesting, for sure. I enjoyed seeing it. But I don't accept it. The characters were different, like a big reset button was pressed. Simon was a completely different character, the relationships between the crew were set back to where they were at the beginning, for the benefit of the first-timers, I assume. I mean, Joss is a genius, and that is portrayed most vividly in the way he makes characters. And the characters in this movie were all different. During the Reaver / Alliance battle, I was thinking about that, and as I noticed that the battle could be so much more awesome with a multiple-award-worthy soundtrack instead of the whooshing and explosions, I decided that I don't accept the movie. Moments after coming to this conclusion, Wash dies.
    I've been a fan of firefly since the first time Train Job went on the air that Friday night. I own three copies of season one and I watch it regularly. I enjoyed the movie, but I do not accept it.

Y_Ghnott

[4]Oct 1, 2005
    I just reread my post. Sounded very negative.
    I really liked the movie and I will see it many more times. My friends will see it, and their friends will see it.
    But I meant what I said about the characters. Since most of the dedicated Firefly fan sites are overloaded right now, the only thing to do is sleep, and I need that. 'night.

Tsujj8789

[5]Oct 1, 2005
    • level: 6
    I loved the movie. I must say i am more then sorry about Wash and Book. I was very upset also that book didnt get much time.

But i still loved the movie. on the other hand my friends didnt. i really think you had to watch the show to like the movie.

ShinyChic

[6]Oct 1, 2005
    • level: 1
    I watched it last night. I thought it was amazing and was excited to see the BDH once again. When Wash was killed I teared up, but when they showed the dinosaurs around the pilot's chair, I cried like a baby. I love the fact the Joss has a tendence to do stuff like that, hit you were you least expect it.

I too had the theory after the movie that maybe Book was an operative. He talked about believing and then so did the operative and Inara when she described the operative. Hmm...

Otakurelix

[7]Oct 1, 2005
    • level: 11
    Yeah, I was freaking out inside when Wash died. I didn't want to bust out complaining and crying or anything, gotta uphold my manhood, but jeez, that really made me mad. I went with three of my friends, one of them has never seen the show but I'm sure he'll check it out now. The other two had only watched the series two days before the movie came out and they like it. The story was amazing. The best scene, which is probably a lot of people's favorite also, was when the brought all the reavers out and lured them onto the alliance. Was this movie showing in imax anywhere? Because that would have been really sweet to see it like that.

Charisma69

[8]Oct 1, 2005
    I really enjoyed the scene where Mal got the Reavers to follow him and led them straight to the Alliance as well.

I was like "Hell Yeah!"

And when Kaylee said, "Hell with this! I'm gonna live!" That was priceless.

It helped take a little sting out of Wash's death. Until Joss showed the Dinosaurs.

I did tear up then. I never did go to full on tears though. I think I was just in shock.

Books death wasn't surprising given the circumstances of the scene. It would have been unrealistic for him to live if everyone else there had died.

Wash's death was jarring. That's what I love about Joss though. He's full of surprises - even if you know he likes killing people off.

I'm really still sad about Wash right now but I really can't wait to see it again.

Gateguy56

[9]Oct 1, 2005
    • level: 5
    This movie was AWESOME! I enjoyed all the humorous moments as well as all the action. I also thought the twist about how the Alliance created the Reavers was cool. AWESOME movie

pennyforth

[10]Oct 1, 2005
    All I can say is this: If this movie doesn't OWN the box office for at least the next 2-3 weeks, there is something wrong with America. Seriously.

Thoughts:

--What will forever stay with me from my first viewing of the movie is how I was laughing hysterically from the moment I realized that the crew was luring the Reavers into a fight with the Alliance fleet, all the way through the battle and Serenity's less-than-graceful landing....and then went completely silent when I saw Wash impaled. I'll never forget how I went from uncontrollable laughter to my heart dropping into the pit of my stomach. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how much a good movie should play with your emotions.

--Love the little details, like the scar on Mal's chest, from a wound I remember seeing Simon sewing up on the show. (Can't remember which, though--my friends say it was from the sword duel in "Shindig", but I'm not sure.)

--A little pointless detail that I noticed: Serenity must have damn good artificial gravity or inertial dampers or whatever. Throughout all that bobbing and weaving in the fight between the Reavers and the Alliance fleet, Wash's dinosaurs didn't budge an INCH until the EMP hit the ship. Geez, evertime any ship named Enterprise so much as bumps into some space dust, the whole bleedin' ship shakes like a mechanical bull, but on Serenity, if the system's working, you're good to go! Take that, Kirk! (And Picard, and Archer...)

--Joss Whedon and Summer Glau totally missed an opportunity for one last nod to the TV show. When River was standing triumphant over the Reavers for one moment--the shot where the wall collapse behind her, and she's outlined by the flames beyond the wall--the only thing that could have made that shot better was for her to say, once again:

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

WANNA SEE IT AGAIN! But I already burned half a tank of gas getting to the only theater in my area showing Serenity and back, so I'll have to wait until it shows up a bit more locally....but WANNA SEE IT AGAIN!

Chuck

Y_Ghnott

[11]Oct 1, 2005
    I do believe the wound was from the evil, curved blade of Niska's muscle man, from the episode Train Job. I forget the name of the man.. Crow? Claw?

yellowcrayon323

[12]Oct 1, 2005
    • level: 20
    pennyforth wrote:

WANNA SEE IT AGAIN! But I already burned half a tank of gas getting to the only theater in my area showing Serenity and back, so I'll have to wait until it shows up a bit more locally....but WANNA SEE IT AGAIN!

Right there with ya'. There were only two theaters open in southeast Louisiana. I drove two hours in traffic from New Orleans to Houma to see the 6:15 show. It was worth it though. That was the best movie I've seen in a long time.

ravennation117

[13]Oct 2, 2005
    • level: 11
    Y_Ghnott wrote:
    The characters were different, like a big reset button was pressed. Simon was a completely different character, the relationships between the crew were set back to where they were at the beginning,

you have to remember, though, that 6 months went by between 'objects in space' and 'serenity'. a lot could have happened in that time to make them that way. you should read the comics. they tell what happens in those six months we don't see.

i loved the movie. it was pure torture having to sit through those impossibly long credits. when the movie started, though, i was on the edge of my seat right away (actually, i was leaning back in my chair with my feet resting on the seats in front of me, but i was close to the edge of my seat). anyways, when book died, i kinda knew it had to happen, but wash, oh my god, i cried, not much at first because it cut straight to the action, but when they showed the dinosaurs at the end, the tears started flowing and didn't stop till i got back to my car.

simon and kaylee finally got together. i was hoping it would happen. of course, during the reaver attack, i was like, omg, their both going to die, but they lived. i guess it would have been pretty bad if joss had killed half the crew. mal and inara still drives me crazy. sure, they pretty much admitted how they felt, but come on, he could have at least given us something more.

anyways, i loved the movie, everything about it. the action, death, fun times, river beating up all those people in the bar, everything. i am definitely going to see it again, as soon as i get money. the cash is kinda low for now. well for the next couple of days at least. but, as soon as i cash in those wal-mart gift cards, if i can find a wal-mart within 50 miles, i am going to see the movie again. then i am going to set money aside for the dvd set, then i'm going to do laundry.

i know this is kinda early to be saying this, but i can't wait for the dvd to come out. i am going to get is as soon as it hits midnight on the release date. anyways, that's pretty much it. oh yeah, one more thing, what i liked about the movie is how every single person in the theater didn't move till the credits were completely finished. i was surprised, normally people leave right away. of course, i had no plans of leaving till that screen went black and the theater music started back up, and i didn't.

okay, now i'm pretty much finished. i'm going to try to get some sleep. i had a difficult time sleeping after i saw the movie cause everytime i closed my eyes, i saw the movie replay over and over again, especially when wash died. and it still does, but that's a good thing. at least i'll be having good dreams tonight.

well, it's time for me to sign off anyways. it's 3:30, and i need to shower before bed. i bid you all goodnight, but don't worry, i'll be back tomorrow.

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." - Wash in his final scene of thrilling heroics. He will be missed.

stephanie

TheSlayerInMe

[14]Oct 2, 2005
    • level: 8
    pennyforth wrote:

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

I'm going to pretend she said that, because that WOULD HAVE BEEN SOOOO AWSOME!

As for Wash's death, all Buffy fans have watched the commentary for the final, Chosen. In it, Joss said it would have been ridiculous if they all lived, so he killed off Anya, because she was the only one. I think the same applies to Wash. Who else could they have killed off, considering sequels? River can just pick up how to fly Serenity, and everyone else is necessary.

I really, REALLY hope they do a sequel. Does anyone know how much it cost to make Serenity?

Tsujj8789

[15]Oct 2, 2005
    [QUOTE="ravennation117"]
    Y_Ghnott wrote:
    The characters were different, like a big reset button was pressed. Simon was a completely different character, the relationships between the crew were set back to where they were at the beginning,

you have to remember, though, that 6 months went by between 'objects in space' and 'serenity'. a lot could have happened in that time to make them that way. you should read the comics. they tell what happens in those six months we don't see.

^^^^^^

do you have more info on the comics?

TheSlayerInMe

[16]Oct 2, 2005
    I don't think they changed much, I just think Joss didn't have time to focus on the Characters, which is really dissapointing.

TheSlayerInMe

[17]Oct 2, 2005
    Thanks ALOT! Now I can't stop thinking about how awsome it would have been if the said "No power in the 'Verse can stop me"

buffyTVSrox

[18]Oct 2, 2005
    • level: 33
    ravennation117 wrote:
    Mal and Inara still drives me crazy. Sure, they pretty much admitted how they felt, but come on, he could have at least given us something more.

Perhaps he's saving that for a sequel

TheSlayerInMe

[19]Oct 2, 2005
    HE BLOODY WELL BETTER BE! :@

I love Joss!

Y_Ghnott

[20]Oct 2, 2005
    I never saw the Buffy series, but I saw Angel. Joss definately treated this movie like the final episode of Angel ("Not Fade Away," I believe)

I will try to pick up the comics now, for sure, but I still think that the basic character of Simon was vitally different.