Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

The Official Serenity Discussion Thread Warning: Spoilers ahead

Parae434

[81]Oct 17, 2005
    • level: 9
    And after three weeks there are some truths that even we must acknowledge: With only $22m in the bank domestically and another $3m internationally, 'Serenity' is somewhat of a boxoffice dissapointment. Yes, yes, I know it hasn't priemered in every part of the globe and I know how much DVD sales matter, I've been tooting that in my own posts. That being the case...now what?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Parae434

[82]Oct 17, 2005
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

citizenflatline

[83]Oct 17, 2005
    • level: 2
    What now indeed. All we can do is wait and see really. Buy the DVD of course. Keep spreading the word.
    But we have to wait and see anyway because Joss is committed to Wonder Woman which will take up most of his next year and a half. He's still writing it, will direct as well.

This from another website: "Given comments made by Joss Whedon, the film [Serenity] will need to make about $60 million internationally for the studio to greenlight a sequel. And while it will likely finish short of that mark, it could come close enough that a strong home market would compensate."

A strong positive note: Firefly DVD box sets are selling strongly once again. Obviously this means that the film picked up some new fans.

This from another website: "Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story remained in first place on the TV on DVD sales chart this weekend ahead of Stargate SG-1 - Season 8 Boxed Set, which was the only new release in the top five. Lost - The Complete First Season climbed ahead of Desperate Housewives - The Complete First Season with the former finishing third and the latter finishing fourth. Rounding out the top five was Firefly - The Complete Series in its 95th week of release, which bodes very well for Serenity's chances on the home market. "

**Also worthy of note: At Amazon.com, the Firefly box set is currently the 4th best selling DVD. It's behind only Batman Begins, Revenge of the Sith (preorders) and Cinderella.
    For a DVD set that has been on the market for nearly two years, well that is freakin incredible.

vilandra5

[84]Oct 17, 2005
    • level: 4
    Thats great

Parae434

[85]Oct 18, 2005
    Wow, that is amazing. Does anyone know how the Firefly DVDs rank compared to other tv show box sets?

tjaman

[86]Oct 18, 2005
    • level: 32
    Well, they're better than most ...

Oh ... that's not what you were asking.

No idea; sorry.

Parae434

[87]Oct 18, 2005
    Well, nonetheless that still technically is a correct answer

Charisma69

[88]Oct 18, 2005
    • level: 18
    For all of you who insist on fretting here's a spot of news from Joss Whedon care of The Official Browncoats Site - thanks to Nick for pointing this out.

Joss Whedon wrote:
    Hello, young lovers, wherever you are. This is Joss, coming to you live via technology. I thought it would be fair to give you all my little State of the Onion before I descend into the depths of the Warren to pound away at my keyboard, munch lettuce and ignore that annoying nerd Fiver who keeps saying something bad is coming, like he can tell or whatever. I'm excited to beat this Wonder Woman script into shape (and munch lettuce). Mostly, to be honest, I'm excited to (deliberately split infinitive) not be a Professional Serenity Barker. I love you guys, I loves me some Serenity cast, but I am yammered out. By Spain it just got surreal (I think Nathan and Summer will back me on that one). Selling is not my strong suit. Actually, my strong suit is Kevlar, but it bunches in all the wrong places.

So I have read much over the past weeks: we have Won! Lost! Triumphed! Failed! and have, of course, agreed with every single thing I read (one of the exhausting things about having no personality). But in the dark blue of early morning I do have some perspective, and it runs thus:

I'm very content. I think the movie is really good. That was hard to a)do and b) realize. The response has been terrific, the majority of the reviews extremely positive: people GOT IT. What's more, an impressive number of people saw this movie who never would have, and even more still will. This is not spin: I know we didn't do the expected numbers our first weekend, we didn't have an unprecedentedly small drop-off the second (which was my personal fantasy.) I've been to some dark places, just like you guys. But the movie has legs, and people who loved it LOVED it crazy, the way love is supposed to be. Europe has been a nice boost (and a lung-splitting shout out to my UK and Aussie UIPeeps -- they're dears, and efficient as hell). We'll keep soldiering on, until we can't crawl and we find DVD to carry us. I see us kind of like the Shawshank Redemption without all the Oscar nominations (unless Best Feet becomes a catagory). People who were befuddled by the title or lack of premise hook will finally pick it up, and keep picking it up... They may miss out on the big-screen exitement, but they'll see our little tale and take it to their hearts. Takes a while. Just like the show.

I've seen a couple of posts with Browncoats beating themselves up about not having done enough. I never want to hear that again. You guys have gone above and beyond above and beyond. The people who are above and beyond are looking at you guys and going "Man, don't they ever quit?" Your efforts, and your investment (emotional as well as tickety) have done an enormous amount for this film and my battered heart. No more self-flagellation, unless it's the healthy, what-every-young-person-needs-to-learn-about-their-body kind.

And what about Da Fyoocha? (And why did I need Arnold to say that?) I have no idea. It could be that this tale is told. Or it could be that down the line, dollars accumulate and some exec says, "let's spin that wheel again." Or who knows. I'm not resting my hopes on it, but it's not a concept I'll ever close the book on. In case the 30,000 reporters I told didn't get this message out, I love this crew like Nick loves Nora, like Hellboy loves Pancakes, like Bridgitte loves Bernie (and if you're old enough to get that reference, my condolences.)

Thank you all. I'll be in touch again, but I have an Amazon to rassle. Remember that this is not over; every dollar (or Euro) counts, every new convert is a friend for life. But don't fret too much on what's to come. Enjoy the remarkable things we've accomplished. You're Big Damn Fans. Have some lettuce.

All love, Joss.

Shana868

[89]Oct 19, 2005
    • level: 40
    Y_Ghnott wrote:

To answer your questions: Yes, as you saw, same actors. It was pretty close to the show, but there were changes that annoyed me. I won't go into those. It seems that the orders of the Operative were to kill River; she was too dangerous to let live.
    I'm glad you've come to appreciate Firefly like the rest of us have.

thank you I really hope Firefly comes here soon...

Browncoat1976

[90]Oct 21, 2005
    • level: 12
    citizenflatline wrote:
    At Amazon.com, the Firefly box set is currently the 4th best selling DVD. It's behind only Batman Begins, Revenge of the Sith (preorders) and Cinderella. For a DVD set that has been on the market for nearly two years, well that is freakin incredible.

Yeah, I thought it was amazing that it was selling so well when I bought it over the summer. I think Serenity may get new life on DVD like Austin Powers did before, but I'm concerned over the strong DVD sales yet incredibly weak movie attendance. Why are folks buying up the box set yet not going to see the movie?

vilandra5

[91]Oct 21, 2005
    I saw it was second on todays sales at Amazon, thats totally amazing

citizenflatline

[92]Oct 21, 2005
    • level: 2
    Browncoat1976 wrote:
    Why are folks buying up the box set yet not going to see the movie?

well i'm guessing myself, but box office is down in general -- I think mainly cause it costs too much to go to the movies now. A friend at work took his family to a movie this summer and it cost him nearly $50 total.

compare that to a $2 to $4 rental fee or $14.99 to $19.99 purchase price.
    Plus now you've got the cost of gas to contend with of course.
    Going to the movies is a bit of a luxury these days it would seem.
    Also, the DVD rental market was only just beginning when Austin Powers came out. That's a HUGE market now.

Serenity has done okay at the box office, just not great like we all were hoping. The film will make money in the end though, through the home market.
    To most people out there, Firefly was just a long forgotten series before the film came out. Most had never heard of it and couldn't care less about it.
    It's picked up some fans though. Quite a few apparently, and that's terrific.

Being a fan since the beginning, it's hard to have any real perspective on it. I watched the premiere on Fox, every episode after that, signed petitions when it was cancelled and bought the DVD set the day it was released.
    I wanted Serenity to be a blockbuster, I think it deserves it. I want the stories to continue. I want sequels, novels, comics or anything.

I saw Austin Powers on it's opening weekend. I'm glad to say I was one of the people who talked it up and convinced others to see it.
    I saw Serenity on opening day.
    I talk it up.

vilandra5

[93]Oct 22, 2005
    Maybe if they make a second movie, it will be a blockbuster.

I wonder will they take the increasing interest in the boxset into consideration, it surely shows added interest in the movie, if people like it so much they buy the show.

tvjunkie30

[94]Oct 22, 2005
    • level: 5
    [QUOTE="Browncoat1976 Why are folks buying up the box set yet not going to see the movie?[/QUOTE]

I think many people are under the assumption that they NEED to see the tv show first.

JalineTV

[95]Oct 22, 2005
    • level: 18
    GOD, I loved this movie. I can't wait to buy it on DVD. It's totally worth it. One of the best films of all time. It made it as #153 on the top #250 movies of all time list at the Internet Movie Database. Of course, the list shifts all the time, as more movies come out. But I think we can expect to see Serenity in a higher position soon.

*sigh

Browncoat1976

[96]Oct 23, 2005
    JalineTV wrote:
    GOD, I loved this movie. I can't wait to buy it on DVD. It's totally worth it. One of the best films of all time. It made it as #153 on the top #250 movies of all time list at the Internet Movie Database. Of course, the list shifts all the time, as more movies come out. But I think we can expect to see Serenity in a higher position soon.

*sigh

IIRC, it was closer to 100 (I think it was around 110 or 120) a couple weeks ago, but as more people that aren't enthusiasts of the show see it, it keeps dropping. Sort of like Star Wars Ep 3 but not nearly as bad. I would be happy to see it rise again, but surprised if it did.

What I'd *really* love to see is Joss's original writing of the script that ended up basically being season 2 before he pared it down to an acceptable length.

lemon_accw

[97]Oct 23, 2005
    • level: 40
    Domestic: $24,182,000 79.2%
    + Overseas: $6,369,352 20.8%
    = Worldwide: $30,551,352

Passed $30 million. =)

henrybaulch

[98]Oct 25, 2005
    • level: 3
    I saw Serenity because I heard good things about on the radio, in papers, etc. I didn't know what this "Firefly" that people were talking about was, except that it was apparently a TV show which had not aired in Australia, and it was the basis for the movie.

I went to see it because a) Joss Whedon, I mean, come on. b) Good reviews and word of mouth. c) I saw the trailer. The thing that sold me, apart from the aforementioned Whedon, was the line about turbulence from the very beginning.

I knew nothing about the characters (except that Mal and Wash were vaguely familiar) or the setting. I couldn't believe it. It easily takes my "Favourite Movie of All Time" award, although at first I didn't get it.

I really didn't get the dinosaurs, though I did spot them at the end. Unfortunately I have a feeling that most outsiders would have had the same reaction as I did, which was "Huh, dinosaurs. Weird."

My favourite part was when Kaylee said "You mean to say, as...sex?" Champagne Comedy.

After I saw the movie I immediately got ahold of the DVDs of Firefly and watched it from start to finish. I just have a question about the comics. Do they ever explain where they got that Hover-buggy thing? Or where they met those identical guys and Mr. Universe? I was kind of thinking when I started watching the series that they would meet all these new people and pick up a second-hand vehicle and such. I also wasn't expecting Book to be there from the start.

Anyway, enough with the posting. Night.

IdahoBobby

[99]Oct 25, 2005
    • level: 1
    Wash's death was a huge disappointment and a huge mistake. Not the death, but the purpose of it, or lack thereof. Book's death at least advanced the story. It gave Mal inspiration and belief to do what he felt was right. Wash's death accomplished absolutely nothing. He didn't die saving the crew, he didn't reveal some secret, he just dies. Totally bad move and really really really turned me off of the whole story. I loved the TV show. Probably one of the best I've ever seen. I loved the movie. One of the best I've seen, until Wash died. I was just left thinking, "Why? What the heck does that do?!?!?!?!"

REALLY bad move Joss. Really bad.

Browncoat1976

[100]Oct 25, 2005
    Wash didn't figure much into the movie. I think it was better to kill him off if he was only going to continue being a marginal character in possible future movies.