Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Why exactly was this show cancelled?

blitzkriegbeer

[1]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 5

I'm sure this thread has already been created, so I apologize in advance if this ticks anyone off.

But seriously, why? I only got into the show myself after its cancellation, so was it because of not enough interest/bad ratings? It seems strange since everyone I have met who watched the show adored it in turn.

And yes, they REALLY need to get this show running again, it's so unique.

Edited on 07/13/2008 4:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Angeldove

[2]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 3

I'm new to this particular forum, so I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but I have no problem answering your question.

FOX sucks!!!!!

That is the answer you'll get from most fans you ask. It stems from a list of things FOX did to screw this show over:

Showing episodes out of order (I really wish they'd put them in the right order on the guide)

Showing pilot episode last

Forcing Joss Whedon to write a new first episode over a weekend or shelve the whole project (The Train Job - good, but no Serenity)

Horrible time-slot, Friday's at 7 still might have worked if Baseball hadn't then gotten in the way by constantly pre-empting

Very little marketing, and what they did do was ridiculous "hooker on a space ship" this was part of their marketing, I'm not kidding. Also, the "girl in the box" but since they failed to show the episode with her in the box, that just confused a lot of people.

And so on and so on....I've been there since day one, the only reason was because I was already a Whedon fan through Buffy and Angel, or I too probably would have missed it. I'm glad you had the chance to find it in cancellation - I know it's bitter sweet, but I guess it's one of those its better to have loved and loss type situations.

zzbeach

[3]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    Okay, so it didn't make it on FOX, but why not farm it out to FX or try another cable channel like Sci Fi or USA? What was the problem there? (Please keep in mind that I'm also relatively new to the Firefly universe.)

Idbeolderifiwas

[4]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 20
    zzbeach wrote:
    Okay, so it didn't make it on FOX, but why not farm it out to FX or try another cable channel like Sci Fi or USA? What was the problem there? (Please keep in mind that I'm also relatively new to the Firefly universe.)

Fox still owns the rights to Firefly so they can't do anything.

blitzkriegbeer

[5]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 5

Idbeolderifiwas wrote:

There's your answer: kill FOX. Send them marshmallows filled with nitroglycerin

Idbeolderifiwas

[6]Jul 15, 2008
    blitzkriegbeer wrote:

Idbeolderifiwas wrote:

There's your answer: kill FOX. Send them marshmallows filled with nitroglycerin

Or Apples with Griswalds in 'em!

zzbeach

[7]Jul 17, 2008
    OK, FOX still owns the show. But that doesn't tell me why nobody tried to work with FOX to put the show on. Serenity wasn't a FOX movie. What happened there? I don't find the answers any where. All I see in the threads is "FOX sucks."

spikemaniac

[8]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 50

Angeldove wrote:
    Horrible time-slot, Friday's at 7 still might have worked if Baseball hadn't then gotten in the way by constantly pre-empting

That's actually not too bad a time slot. In Australia they showed it at around 2 AM, I think it was Tuesday mornings, but it often changed around to whatever day Channel SEVEN felt like showing it on.

zzbeach wrote:
    OK, FOX still owns the show. But that doesn't tell me why nobody tried to work with FOX to put the show on. Serenity wasn't a FOX movie. What happened there? I don't find the answers any where. All I see in the threads is "FOX sucks."

Because that's the answer: FOX SUCKS! They could've worked it out if they wanted to, but FOX are unwilling to fix any of the problems they create.

Edited on 07/17/2008 9:13pm

Idbeolderifiwas

[9]Jul 18, 2008
    zzbeach wrote:

And really, if you were Fox, would you want to give up a show that you Cancelled only to have it succeed on another network? They would rather leave it dead than risk looking the fool for cancelling it so soon (Although they already do, it would be worse for them were that to happen)

zzbeach

[10]Jul 18, 2008
    Sorry guys, the whole "FOX sucks" doesn't make sense because of "Serenity." FOX may have not seen how Firefly was a good show but I was the same way. I didn't like any other Whedon shows and I avoided Firefly and Serenity until I watched reruns on SciFi. There must be more to the story other than "FOX sucks" otherwise "Serenity" would never have been made.

SMGslayer97

[11]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 34
    The aired the episodes out of order, so much so that fans had a hard time keeping track of it. As a result the ratings were low and if I'm remembering correctly some fans jumped shipped before seeing a lot of episodes because airing the episodes out of order mixed up the story and made in confusing. So blah blah blah low ratings, FOX cancelled it. And that was that.

Idbeolderifiwas

[12]Jul 18, 2008
    zzbeach wrote:
    Sorry guys, the whole "FOX sucks" doesn't make sense because of "Serenity." FOX may have not seen how Firefly was a good show but I was the same way. I didn't like any other Whedon shows and I avoided Firefly and Serenity until I watched reruns on SciFi. There must be more to the story other than "FOX sucks" otherwise "Serenity" would never have been made.

Ok since you don't seem to understand of Universal got the rights to Serenity I'll copy what is said on Wikipedia about it.

"Development

The film is based on Firefly, a television series cancelled by Fox television in December 2002, after 11 of its 14 produced episodes had aired. When attempts to have another network acquire the show failed, creator Joss Whedon attempted to sell it as a film. Through a business connection, he was introduced to Mary Parent with Universal Pictures, who immediately signed on after watching the episodes on DVD. By June 2003, actors Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin confirmed the deal on the official Firefly forum, as did Whedon in several interviews.

Writing

After Universal Studios acquired the movie rights to Firefly from Fox, Whedon began writing the screenplay. His task was to explain the premise of a television series that few had seen without boring new viewers or longtime fans. He based his story on original story ideas for Firefly's unfilmed second season. Whedon's original script was 190 pages, and attempted to address all major plot points introduced in the series. After presenting the script to Universal under the title "The Kitchen Sink", Whedon was asked to cut down the script to a size filmable under his budget constraints. Universal planned to begin shooting in October 2003, but delays in finishing the script postponed the start of shooting to June 2004."

See universal bought the Movie rights to Firefly, presumably part of the deal Fox had with Joss Whedon when the show was first in development. They wont give up the Television rights but they gave up the rights to a movie.

zzbeach

[14]Jul 20, 2008
    OK, but why did FOX sell only the movie rights and not the TV rights? Was there any other interested TV channels? Was the show too expensive for SciFi to buy and produce?

Idbeolderifiwas

[15]Jul 20, 2008
    zzbeach wrote:
    OK, but why did FOX sell only the movie rights and not the TV rights? Was there any other interested TV channels? Was the show too expensive for SciFi to buy and produce?

I already explained why they wouldn't and still to this day wont sell the rights to the show. They don't want to look the fool for cancelling it. They know that any network that brings Firefly back will be successful with the program and they don't want to look like morons for cancelling the show.

zzbeach

[16]Jul 25, 2008
    They don't sell the tv rights to not look like idiots, but FOX sells the movie rights? Doesn't make sense. Having a major motion picture made from a failed show makes FOX look 10 times worse. There must be more to the story than this. The answer "FOX sucks" just doesn't cover it.

SMGslayer97

[17]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 34
    zzbeach wrote:
    They don't sell the tv rights to not look like idiots, but FOX sells the movie rights? Doesn't make sense. Having a major motion picture made from a failed show makes FOX look 10 times worse. There must be more to the story than this. The answer "FOX sucks" just doesn't cover it.

...maybe they got a cut? Or a huge pay off? Or a percent of the profits? Something to make them want to give over the right to make the movie, something they probably weren't offered (or the offers weren't significant enough) to let go of the rights to continue the series.

JelloJim12

[18]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 4

You know, I think that FOX would've looked less stupid and be less hated if they had given up the rights to the series.

Because then at least the fans would appreciate it, and maybe forgive FOX some.

But now it's too late, because the idiots there hate people who like good shows.

Igarka

[19]Jul 26, 2008
    I belive its the people who used to be there.

nicmar19422

[20]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 7
    some other reasons that the show was cancled was that Fox has no patience for anything that is not a hit right away, Fox expected Firefly to be a big mainstream hit which it was never going to be. Don't get me wrong it is a great show but a space/western is a hard sell, I have friends who are Buffy Angel fans that I can still not get to watch the show on that bases. Genre shows need time to grow an audiance Fox doesn't seem to want to give it