Firefly Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Would you watch another show set in the Firefly 'verse?

Would you watch a "sequel" show?

rfresa

[1]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 8

I think every Firefly fan wishes there was more of this amazing show, but it's clear that this will never happen. The show's popularity has grown so much in the years since it was canceled, I think it would be feasible for a "sequel" of sorts. NOT a remake, but a show that takes place several years after Serenity the movie. It could have a mostly new cast, but bring in the old crew as recurring characters. If they did it right, and the right people were involved, I believe it could be as great as Firefly itself. What do you think?

Which cast members would be absolutely vital? Personally, I think River would be vital, but the others could come and go. Yes, even Mal.

Edited on 12/07/2010 11:16pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Japenius

[2]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 2
    Firefly was or is still an amazing show!!

I mean I just loved the show, it was awesome. Just brilliant show from the genious mind of Joss Whedon. I would love some more Firefly action myself but I'm a bit suspicious about this idea of a new crew. I mean the chemistry between the characters and what they brought to Firefly...it was part of the brilliance and charm of the show.

So eventhough I love the show and wouldn't want nothing more then to see some more of it with the same crew! But I'm highly suspicious, scared even of the idea of new crew. Though there is a possibility it could work but there is also the possibility that a great piece of sci-fi history could be ruined....no raped!! And made into something shameful not even worthy to be mentioned aloud!

So...answer: Yes, more Firefly! But I'd have to say no, to the idea of a new crew.

But as I write this my curiosity is woken. What would the new show with a new Firefly crew be like. Could it be awesome, what if it was even more brilliant then it predecessor. Is it possible...isn't everything?

As I end this reply, I can't help myself from thinking about Firefly. And what could happen with it. What ever happens...I hope for the best and fear for the worst.

agent_0042

[3]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 66
    Absolutely. As long as it was done well, I would definitely watch it, and I don't care who's on the cast.

Jon_MW_14

[4]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 39
    Out of curiousity, I'd watch something Firefly related, and if it was really good, then I'd continue to watch.

rfresa

[5]Jan 4, 2011
    Sadly, I am just a fan and have no influence with the makers of Firefly. I think the main reason no true sequels can be made (besides the comic books, etc.) is that they couldn't possibly get the entire cast together again. They all have their own shows now. That's why I say any continuation of the story on TV would have to involve new main characters. This would be something like Star Trek: TNG, which many people consider superior to the original Star Trek. Or Stargate Universe, which is completely different (I would say inferior), but rooted in the same universe as SG-1.

The new cast would not necessarily be a new "crew" of a ship. Sequels to Star Trek and Stargate have had slightly different formats, for example. So they could be based on a certain planet or station, or something. They could be a different mix of character types.

But the point would be to continue the story started by Firefly and Serenity. What happens with the Alliance and the outlying worlds after Serenity? Firefly actors could appear as guest stars like the SG-1 team pops up in Atlantis and SGU. I do think that River, Simon, and perhaps Kaylee would have to be major characters in order to continue their story, and they would be the easiest actors to get together again.

I admit, with reluctance, that this will most likely never happen. It looks like Joss Whedon and the others are done with this 'verse for good. But we fans can dream, can't we?

What changes would you make if it were up to you?

KingofIPirates

[6]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 32
    Sounds good though I would prefer the old cast instead of an entire new one.

nshinron

[7]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 6

Hell yeah.................................

Captain Malcom Raynolds & his crews are awesome

JP_Guitarman

[8]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 1
    I'd watch the crap out of that - but only if they let Joss do it.... and I have to be honest, I'd be very cagey about getting invested in it if Fox were still in charge

BohemianLikeU

[9]Feb 23, 2011

I would definitely check it out if some kind of Firefly-related show hit the airwaves, but for me it would be a lot like thinking about someone else when you're making out with the person right there with you. I think I would still be bitter that we only have one season of this exceptional program, and I think I'd probably feel like it just wouldn't be enough to satisfy me. Like a child watching a new step-parent come into the picture, "You're not the REAL THING and who do you think you are trying to step into their shoes?".

I think most of us would prefer to build a time machine to go back and do something to make sure the original series never got canceled because we all want more of that original magic. While the movie featuring all the original cast wasn't terrible, I think most agree it just did not have the warmth and so many elements we all love about the original series. I think it's that cross any Firefly fan carries, the wound that never heals when we get to the end of "Objects In Space" and think "Curse you, Fox!! Why did you have to take this away from us?!?!?!", haha.

So I would probably be so critical and wary of a spin-off sort of series set in that universe, I won't lie. I'd check it out though!

archangelwho

[10]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 18

With so little sci-fi out there I would watch it if for nothing else for the hope that they would make more. Today I watch the 1954 Flash Gordon.

drlowdon

[11]Jul 2, 2011

Only if Josh Whedon was involved and it still starred Nathan Fillion and Captain Reynolds. (actually it must have Jewel Staite as Kaylee as well because she was so lovely).

GuadaNarbaitz

[12]Mar 23, 2012

I could definitely get behind a spin off of Serenity... as long as they let Joss Whedon be in charge.

I mean, he gave us the original. I think that another group of people in ... I don´t know, a station, a post, something, telling us what happened - like the third season of Robotech... man, that´s old - and moving on with their own story.

I would love that.

ChipsTheButler

[13]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 9
    It's a little known fact that Scrubs is in the Firefly universe. Just in an earlier time period.

lazyjay

[14]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 30
    GuadaNarbaitz wrote:

I could definitely get behind a spin off of Serenity... as long as they let Joss Whedon be in charge.

I mean, he gave us the original. I think that another group of people in ... I don´t know, a station, a post, something, telling us what happened - like the third season of Robotech... man, that´s old - and moving on with their own story.

I would love that.

Ooh, like a Jossy version of DS9. That would be cool.

nimd4

[15]Apr 2, 2012

drlowdon wrote:
    (actually it must have Jewel Staite as Kaylee as well because she was so lovely)

Yeah.. I'd have to go with HOT on that one.

archangelwho

[16]Jun 23, 2012

As more and more sci-fi shows goes off the air the more we need a show like this one. This summer I'm catching up on Touchwood on DVD and watching a DVD set called 50 Sci-fi Classics. This is one of 2 sets I picked up at Wal Mart for $10 each. The problem in the set I'm watching now are many movies I would not list as sci-fi. We really, really need some new sci-fi.

ChipsTheButler

[17]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 9
    Dude, nobody's buying this "I'm a big sci fi fan" schtick you're trying to sell. Everyone knows you hate sci fi and prefer romantic comedies.

Tiingeling

[18]Feb 21, 2013
    I watched Serenity and I would watch anything else set in this universe too. Firefly was en amazing show and done with love. If the people involved would continue this work (sadly unlikely) it would be worth watching.

archangelwho

[19]Jul 31, 2013

This is one of the few sci-fi shows that those not sci-fi fans seem to like. That why I never understood why it failed. You would have thought with sci-fi fans and non sci-fi fans it would have been a hit. Fox just either had bad luck with sci-fi shows or mishandle them.