Firefly

Objects in Space

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 13, 2002 on FOX

• Objects in Space

The good;

All of it, very, very good, especially love the opening of Summer as she prowls around the ship listening to everyone's thoughts, the character of Jubal Early, the crew's meeting to discuss River and her plan is inspired.

The bad;

River's reluctance to use firearms to dispose of Early seems a little strange, she's never seemed to have any reservations before. Plus shooting him would be a lot more humane than leaving him to suffocate?

Best line;

Simon; "My sisters a ship, we had a complicated childhood"

plus

Mal; "If I wanted medical jargon I'd talk to a doctor"

Simon; "You ARE talking to a doctor"

and

Simon; "Come on out Summer, the nice man wants to kidnap you"

Kinky dinky;

Early threatens to rape Kaylee to get her co-operation. We take it that when he talks of giving Kaylee and 'present' and ridding her off a 'problem' he means River but maybe he takes her as a virgin and is telling her they're going to have sex? River observes he's all about "Power, control, pain'

River voyeuristically 'mindrops' on Wash and Zoe getting kissy on the bridge (aside from Homer and Marge they seem to be the most sexually active married couple ever). Topless Simon for the straight girls and sly boys (Joss admits he doesn't mind giving his audience some cheesecake) plus him playing footsie with Kaylee. He also relates the story of some youthful streaking to celebrate his graduation as a surgeon. Book is celibate but avoids the question of masturbation.

Notches on the Serenity bedpost; we don't know what happens between Kaylee and Early after he ties her up but I don't think so. She also relates a possible story about bedding a 14 year old 'genetic experiment' but again, unconfirmed.

Capt subtext;

Mal says that he's perfectly fine with Kaylee never having killed anyone, he wants to keep her the one sweet and innocent thing in his life. Early's fate, left hanging in space with an uncertain future is a metaphor for the series itself.

When Jayne threatens that he and Wash will 'Go somewhere' over his teasing Wash says he hopes it's somewhere with candlelight.

How'd they get away with that?

Early threatening Kaylee is hard to watch as is his pistol whipping Inara across the face. Early licks the ship? Is he descended from Benton Fraser RCMP?

Subverting the Hollywood cliche;

We expect Book to tell the truth about being knocked out but he actually lies. We think Jayne is reaching his arsenal when he pulls the curtain back but actually he's just grabbing a blanket. Kaylee actually gives in, surrenders to Early and let's him tie her up, betraying River to him.

Bondage; Kaylee tied up by Early

Wash; 1

Inara; 1

Zoe; 1

Women good/men bad;

Early questions why men are physically stronger yet women have the children?

Kills; Mal kills Early (or does he? Put him down as a possible)

Mal; 17-plus one possible, Jubal Early

Zoe; 17-

Jayne; 16-

Wash; 2

River; 3

Happy high-class hookers in Space;

Early exclaims "I'll be a son of a whore"

Know the face?

Richard Brooks a familar face for all Law?der fans (until his replacement by Mrs Gere and then Kate Lochley) and truly excellent here in a role where he really plays against type.

Whedon alumni- Joss likes to reuse the same actors in his series, let's count up their appearances (let me know if I miss any)

Fanfic;

Plenty about the future adventures of Jubal Early. Amongst the means for his survival are;

1) Venting air from his spacesuit to propel him back to his own ship

2) Boosting the power of his magnetic shoes in order to attract him back to it

3) Remote control of his own ship once Serenity is out of sensor range (it does seem to fly off under some form of direction)

4) Firing his gun to use the recoil to direct himself

5) Picked up by the blue gloves who are also trailing Serenity

Unfortunately some include him making good on his threats to Kaylee.

Missing scenes; or deleted scenes in this case

1. Scene where we see Zoe and Mal being picked up by the rescue ships after the battle of Serenity. Very graphic with the ground littered with corpses and Zoe in particular looking as though she's on her last legs. It's a powerful scene but if they had left it in it would have detracted from Mal's 'loss of faith' moment in the pilot.

2. Zoe tells Simon about the battle of Serenity in all it's gory detail, 500,000 killed in less than 2 months. What makes this more interesting is that she states that the Browncoats leaders left them to rot on the battlefield for a week, they resent the Independents High Command as well as the Alliance.

3. Well I guess I owe Alan Tudyk an apology, there IS an incestuous subtext between Simon and River (at least on River's part) he didn't just make it up out of the blue in his commentary for War Stories. It's all actually quite innocent, like a little girl playing at weddings and casting her father or brother as the groom. She accuses Saffron of being a thief, the crew think she means snaffling the food but she actually means more than that. Mal's speech to Saffron about standing up for herself shows his attitude towards women and gives her the idea of how to hoodwink him. This scene also explains why Summer Glau had no lines in the whole of Our Mrs Reynolds.

4. Inara announces she's leaving, excised because of the crazy order in which the show was shown so as to make more sense.

Reputedly there was also a scene where Zoe and Wash garner Simon's professional opinion on them starting a family

Firefly speak;

Gorram=goddam.

Weak tea=not good

Back birth=idiot

Companion=high class courtesan

Gengish=competent

Doh-ma=understand/understood?

Rutting=bloody (or perhaps 'fraking'?)

Chin-cha-da=hell

Purple belly=officious bureaucrat

Ta-gow=Oh god!

Won-gwa-pee= to urinate or defecate

Gosa=excrement

Book;1-

Wash;1-

Simon; 1-

Crew injured;

Mal gets a beating as does Simon again, Book get's a sore head. Inara get's a split lip from her pistol-whipping.

Reminds me off;

I guess I don't have to say Bobby Fett right down to his suit, gun and ship because Joss admits it in the commentary. Early threatening Kaylee reminds me of Glory and Tara in Tough Love.

Early's remark of " Maybe I've always been here?" is very The Shining.

Questions and observations;

I had thought it was stupid that Serenity had controls allowing someone to seal the crew into their cabins from the outside but it was pointed out if the ship was depressurised they would need to be able to seal off each compartment. Note Kayleigh is the only one not to have any hidden thoughts for River to read, she's totally open. Book's thoughts make you wonder if he was previously a cop or judge? As early observes, "That's not a Shepherd" Jayne appears to cook pancakes. Note when River has the gun it's Kaylee who backs away most having seen what she's capable off. The crew still don't know about Jayne's betrayal on Ariel.

Mal sure does love his double negatives when talking. Wash seems to delight in teasing Jayne although you'd wonder if he'd be quite so brave without Zoe to back him up? He also thinks telepathy is science fiction even when he's on a spaceship, very postmodern.

It appears people eat horses in the future. Early is the kind of interesting recurring villain the series sorely needs. Unfortunately this is the final ep.

Marks out of 10; 9/10, nice to see the series go out on a high

• The crew of Serenity encounters perhaps their most dangerous threat, Jubal Early. He is the exact opposite of the dreaded Reavers - he is articulate, physically disciplined and, most importantly - driven to insane distraction by his over analytical mind.

This is as good as Firefly ever got, and it's quite impressive at that. It is one of my favorite episodes from any sci-fi TV series. It's very self-contained, feels like a classic Twilight Zone installment. It also has an Alfred Hitchcock feel. Maybe that's because Greg Edmonson's music for "Objects" is reminiscent of of the kind of sublime scores composer Bernard Herrmann provided for Hitchcock. Everything about the episode conveys an internal struggle - the music, sounds, lighting and cinematography. It's a great combination of dread, insanity and claustrophobia. In closing, the casting of Richard Brooks is a gem. Quite frankly I liked the film Serenity - and Chiwetel Ejiofor played a very good villain - but I couldn't help but compare his driven character to Brooks' Jubal Early in 'Objects". Richard Brooks fills every scene with an eerie Richard III-type panic, so much so that you get the feeling if this were a movie, he just might wipe out the entire cast.
  • by far the best firefly episode.

this is such a great episode. i love it because it focuses mainly on river. she is trying to fit in with the crew, but they dont understand her. she picks up this stick, but then it turns into a gun, and she is shocked. when mal asks her if she understands, its so sad. she says she understands, but doesnt comprehend. then kaylee tells them what happened when river shot those guys that were trying to kill her. they told simon he would have to controll river, because she was dangerous. we also learn that she may be psychic, though it was hinted at. river seems like a different person in this episode. she probobly talks more in this episode that all the others. which is good for her. well jubal comes in on the ship to take river to the alliance. he is a bounty hunter and a very clever one. his scene with kaylee was so powerful. she seemed so scared, but calm. it was very good. and river tells him she is no longer "river" but the sip serenity. she said how no one wanted her, which was sad. she got under jubals skin by reading his past. and hse ends up telling him she will go with him. but mal aves her in the end by not letting him get back to his ship. well. not really, but for the episodes end, yes. so this was technically the last episode, not counting the movie, but what a great episode it was. it really sums up everything. at the end with river and keylee playing jacks, it was just perfect.
  • A beautiful episode

A River again, in the attention of all but it really works fine. She is amazing char and the whole way there is so many angels of her..

The story was really exciting - a bounty hunter managed to get aboard the ship and lock most of the crew away and he is after River but she is more clever than imagined - she starts a really scary play with the bounty hunter and says she is merged with the Serenity.. very psychological game, but she for sure managed to be top of it and make the situation solve.

A gorgeous episode..
  • River becomes Serenity.

This was a really enjoyable episode. It's too bad it's the last episode. I really wish there was a second season. I liked this episode because it's based on River and River is my favourite character. I liked that the crew was discussing that she's psychic. It's obvious these episode was filmed earlier because thay should all know by now that she is psychic. I liked how everything was in her perspective. It made the episode more interesting. It was genious for River to sneak to Early's ship and pretend to be Serenity. I thought that was really cool. I give this episode a 10/10.
  • An intriguing and simple way to end the series, "Objects in Space" leaves us alone to puzzle over the mysteries of Firefly - just the way it should be.

And so we come to the end of one of the most remarkable series to air in many many years. Not counting "Serenity" which came much later, "Objects in Space" marks the end of Firefly – an end that no one could have seen coming when the series began, and an end that is still mourned by all who were captured by the series.

As a final episode, "Objects in Space" is very unsatisfying, which makes sense seeing as it was never intended as being the final episode. It takes you nowhere fast, and leaves you hanging, in every sense and with every character. But it is still an outstanding, suspenseful episode which tugs at the emotions, and plays with your mind.

This is primarily a River-Simon episode, and I have to say that I am quite sad that my poor Mal spent most of the episode unconscious on the floor. It might have made me feel little better if the episode had explained something (anything!) about River, but unfortunately, it does not. I am just as bewildered (if not more) about her character than before. This is usually the case with River. What seems to be an episode designed to enlighten you about her character, usually ends up leaving you more confused than when you started.

One thing this episode does make clear is that River can be a much more frightening character than we have ever given credit to. River was desperately underused and underutilized in this early season. It is completely understandable and justifiable, given that they saw the show continuing on for a lot longer. It was clear that they didn't see that not revealing anything about her character as a person on any deeper level was going to matter. Of course, it mattered hugely, and the brief taste we got of all the characters was, sadly, probably the briefest with River.

The more I watched the Simon-Kaylee dynamic, and given the time to get used to it, I really began to feel a connection with this awkward and touching couple-that-isn't. The subtlety that this series has on many levels means that you don't need to see anything ever eventuate between our characters – but once in a while, it would be nice to get a bit of a reward for all our patience.

The rather strange addition to this episode, Early, is a most unusual character. I really don't know what he was there for, what he was trying to get across, or who he was supposed to be. At times, he personifies a hard, raw, and quite frightening character. I was shocked, and scared, for our crew as the Early boarded, and took over. He had the air of an experienced and truly cold-hearted killer. His warning of raping Kaylee – and using her fear for herself to keep her quiet was brutal. For any woman, this is among our greatest fears – the fear of somebody treating our body like an object, and to use this like Early did was awful. Then, almost in the same scene, we switch to this rambling, confusing caricature, who talks in riddles, and yet still seems to possess that killer instinct. He allows Simon to badger him… and then threatens to kill him in the same breath as humoring him. Is he crazy? Is it a trick? It was all so confusing that I gave up trying to figure it out in the end.

I guess where this episode was going was to allow the crew to see that River was a real person, with feelings and abilities. It could have been to prove that she brought something to the crew members themselves, as well as being an asset to the ship. It was rather unsuccessful at this, but it was still a good episode.

So, while I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, I was not overly moved by it, at least, not in the way that episodes like "War Stories", "Heart of Gold" and especially "Out of Gas" did. It didn't take me anywhere that I didn't feel like I hadn't been before, and it was a bit of an anti-climatic way to end the series. Nonetheless, it holds an important place in my heart and matters immensely in every sense.
  • The best episode of the second greatest show ever

Firefly is one of my all-time favorite shows, and this is my all-time favorite episode. It's character development done in a genius way. It shows more insight into the relationship between Simon and River and everyone's reaction to them. First of all, Simon is the best character, and River is the 3rd best(Mal beat her out). Second, the plot in this episode is filled with both Humor and emotion, just like most episodes of Firefly. It also has Early, one of the most peculiar and memorable one-off characters ever. The ending left it open for a 'sequel', because Early wasn't officially dead. Too bad the money-grubbing fatcats at fox canceled it.
  • “Firefly” may never get the chance to show just how excellent it is and could be.

Like every episode of the series thus far, this episode reveals more and more about the people traveling together on Serenity. While this episode focuses on River and how she becomes more accepted by the crew, her abilities open up interesting questions and layers to the other characters as well. Even though River’s abilities were more or less confirmed in “Safe”, among other places, those abilities are finally discussed among the others on the ship. It’s an important conversation, because it presents River as a threat on more levels than just the physical. Among many with secrets that might not want to be revealed, River could be seen as a liability. This is made clear during the first act of the episode, where River’s initial detection of Early’s impending arrival prompts her to reach out and “feel” the others on Serenity. Perhaps not surprisingly, Simon is still a bit regretful of losing his status as a rising star in the medical field due to the need to rescue his sister. Even though River recoils from that truth, she had to have known that he felt that way, despite his protestations. After all, she’s had more exposure with Simon than anyone else. Unless, of course, his treatment of her condition is finally allowing her to filter the information she receives into something recognizable. Equally interesting is the complete lack of any hidden thoughts from Kaylee. This is completely consistent with what we’ve seen of Kaylee to this point. Kaylee always presents herself openly, with her emotions very plain. Kaylee is not one for artifice, and River appears to detect that. Just as simple is Jayne and his constant thoughts of guilt and worry over his actions in “Ariel”. Ever since Mal let him live, he’s acted in whatever way is necessary to portray himself as contrite. Mal continues to remind him of the error of his ways, as seen later in the same act. With Jayne being concerned with his own survival and personal wealth, however transitory, it makes sense that he would dwell on his mistake. Far more intriuging, Book’s inner thoughts betray a side of him that might have some ominous connections to his life before becoming a Shepherd. It is becoming more and more apparent that Book once lived a far more violent life, most likely in some kind of military intelligence capacity. Could he have been involved in retrieval of fugitives or war criminals for the Alliance? It’s not hard to figure out, in general, what River was picking up from Wash and Zoe. It’s equally easy to assume that Inara was once again thinking very much about Mal and his potential feelings for her. It’s just as possible that Inara’s thoughts had nothing to do with that, but her character has had very little character development beyond her relationship to Mal. Mal, of course, trumps everything with his fatalistic state of mind. It’s clear that he hasn’t recovered from whatever happened at the end of the war, and that whatever else happens, he’s consumed by the need to keep flying, to simply keep moving. He has his apparent friendships and interactions with the crew, but in a way, they are all just a means to an end. So long as he keeps flying, he stays ahead of whatever it is he doesn’t want to face. The rest of the episode is an interesting bit of cat and mouse, highlighted by the fact that River’s unpredictable and indeterminate abilities leave everyone in doubt. Even Simon is unsure of River’s motives, which makes it that much more difficult for the audience to get a sense of her plans. In retrospect, it’s very simple and straightforward, but River’s unique problems lend it an air of mystery. With this episode, the synthesis of the original crew of Serenity and the passengers is complete. The group has come together as a kind of family unit, for lack of a better term. With a little bit of time for development, this would be the perfect time for the series to begin delving deeper into the histories and psyches of the characters, while advancing the overall plot arcs. Of course, thanks to the short-sighted bottom line of the FOX network executives, who couldn’t promote a series to save their lives, “Firefly” may never get the chance to show just how excellent it is and could be.
  • A fantastic episode that builds the relationship between the characters.

I found that this is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Particularly, I was impressed with the writing of the character of the bounty hunter. The bounty hunter, Jubal Early, is a confused character but instills fear into the hearts of all the characters. Early was fantastic with the lines that he had and even his musings upon the world. This helped to establish him as one who is truly disturbed. He was able to create situations where you wanted to laugh as a means of releasing the tension, but you were not quite successful; a nervous laughter.

This episode also gave us a new look at the character of River. She learned about the opinions that others on the ship have of her. It was rather tragic at points and almost sad. However, in the end, she was willing to help her brother and the rest of the crew. Great episode.
  • Well written to show great art on film. The last in the dvd box set for episodes but not the least.

An episode for the high brow. Disturbing scenes in the engine room with Kaylee and the bounty hunter Jubal Early. IF he touches her I am coming through the tv screen. Just like the crew a feeling deep in the black being alone but really have they been. River who takes control of the whole situation leaves Early the bounty hunter as the prey. I don't like this episode because Mr Jubal Early is such a creep. He picks on the little girls in this episode. Not to mention beating up Inara's beautiful face which shows the bastard that he really his. Ya see he locks Zoe up because she can deal as much as gives out. Jubal underestimates his prey and has met his match. Its a dark episode different from War Stories. A fan's episode.
  • darn shepard

I was really annoyed by Book in this episode. Simon was like THIS close to kissing Kaylee and he just walks through and breaks them apart. He couldn've seen what Simon was about to do and turned in the other direction. Man, if only he'd done that. But hey if he hadn't we wouldn't have got that high-larious "You mean . . . sex?" exchange in the BDM. Or River's face when thy kiss at the end. That was funny. Well worth the wait. Even if I did become fan after the BDM. This was a good episode. Early's charcter was well played and interesting. His exchange with Simon was great (a lion?). And was literally scared when he asked Kaylee if she'd ever been raped. I was freaked. Loved River's lines about melting away and "I am the ship". really good. Sad though, when she says what would happen if she went away. How much easier everyone's lives would be. Very sad. She's a part of the ship and she doesn't deserve to leave. Mal and Simon both realised that, which I liked.
    Another great part was when Jayne hears noises and just turns over. I seriously thought he was going to get his guns and do something. He loves to shoot people. Later whne he was talking to the preacher about how he missed all the action was great too. He had his chance and decided to sleep.
    All in all great episode. Painful to watch though as it is the last. If only sci fi would resurrect it . . . .
  • Where'd you go to?

Thank you, Firefly. You left it 'till the end, but you finally gave little River her due. She got to talk all creepy through the PA system, play with a stick, and listen in on everybody's conversation. I asked for a little more out of her than the odd non sequitur, but I hadn't quite imagined all of this. A little flashback, I'd hoped, or maybe an ambiguous dream. But playing mind games with a bounty hunter was quite a move for her. I guess therapy can take a lot of different forms for a lot of different folk. Oh, and I enjoyed seeing the world from River's point of view; made it just a wee bit easier to empathize with her.

And where did they find this bounty hunter? Boba Fett managed to get the job done with a few terse ejaculations (kind of suggestive word there - guess I could have used another, but I didn't), but this guy just never shuts up unless he's trying to sneak up on somebody. And he sure isn't subtle with the oblique threats - just asks somebody if they've ever experienced what he plans to do with them. Been raped? Been shot? Had your eyes gouged out for a skull-f&*$ing? It's not a threat, just a friendly question, real conversational-like. And do they still name their kids after Civil War generals in the distant future? Didn't that go out of style a few decades back? I guess there's just no telling what trends might come back around. I'd better go find myself a monocle and grow some muttonchops before those get to be all the rage again.

It's always hard to judge at just what point keeping the crazy girl becomes more trouble than it's worth, but when she starts waving a loaded gun around, you should definitely start weighing your options. She needed help, sure, and a pirate ship probably wasn't the place for it. Maybe getting a peek inside Mr. Early's kooky little noggin gave River some idea of just what crazy is and convinced her that maybe she wasn't interested. Or maybe killing people just cheers her up a little bit. That's not a particularly reassuring thought, that ain't.

So, until later, adios, Firefly. It was a short trip but it had a lot of good memories. I'll never forget that theme song, or Jayne's reaction after that fool kid died for him. Wash and Mal's torture was a real tour de force. Most of your characters managed to overcome their stereotypes and become something greater, and you broke a few rules along the way. You weren't wanted until you were long gone, but you never gave up the fight to make your way in the world, and I guess that makes you not so much unlike your protagonist. Hopefully we'll meet again some time.

Now, where'd I put my Galactica DVDs?
  • River melts into Serenity

The series finale of the amazing Firefly, ‘Objects In Space’ had it all, it didn’t really close the show, but it had everything to make a perfect episode and very worthy of a second season. Sadly, those asses didn’t give it to them.

This episode begins with River hearing thoughts and feeling everything the people on Serenity say. First she hears Simon and Kaylee talk and laugh together, but she hears what they really think, Simon wishes he was still a doctor. Then Jayne and Book talking about sexual feelings but she hears why Jayne betrayed her. Then Wash and Zoe together and feels them touching each other. As last she sees Inara and Mal, she sensed that they care for each other but are afraid to go on their urges and knows that Inara is leaving. Then Inara goes at the middle of Serenity where she sees flowers and grabs a stick, without knowing it’s really a gun. Before she knows it everyone try to take it away from her. River is now becoming an ability of danger, Kaylee then on table tells about River killing three men with math, or at least with a gun while having her eyes clothes. Kaylee doesn’t believe River is a normal human, and River is listening from beneath it. But there is also someone else listening. When the guy who is called Earl, comes into the ship he knows out Mal and locks him somewhere. Then he goes for Simon and wants him to help him find River or else he will rape Kaylee who he chained in a room.

The guy also knocks out Book and he says that Book is not a preacher. When Earl begins to loose his patience he calls for River who answers but is apparently not on the ship but in Serenity, she is Serenity now. The writing of this episode was absolutely stunning, the lines River got and how she tricked everyone into helping her and stopping Earl. She knows a lot about Earl but eventually turns out to be in Earl’s ship, she wants to leave with him because she feels she isn’t wanted anymore but Simon then attacks Earl who then shoots Simon. When earl goes to grab River, Mal is waiting and throws Earl off the ship and takes River back in it.

This is the prove that River is the most interesting character of the show, Summer Glau is a fantastic actress as well.
    At the end she plays with Kaylee a game and with her maths she can win it.
    ‘Objects In Space’ is an episode that has it all, it’s hilarious with River and Earl and pretty much everyone. It’s romantic with Kaylee and Simon and their almost kiss. It’s dark with Earl threatening to rape Kaylee but best of all, it develops the characters that most needed it before the show to go and it did it so well. This was the most amazing episode of this magnificent show, such a shame it left us.
  • Exciting.

In this episode, we see a bounty hunter attempting to abduct River. This episode takes place in space, it's not a shoot em up extravaganza that's usually seen in this show but it's just as good, since the writers shifts the focus on the characters dilemma inside the Serenity. The world of Serenity is almost like the american civil war. it's like jesse james in outer space. the bounty hunter early makes his move into serenity while everyone is asleep. he torments the crew while river uses her psychic ability to outsmart early. this episode also shows something about river, she hallucinates at the start that might have lead to an accident. another great episode, definitely.
  • This is the best episode of the series, there isn't even a doubt about that.

I loved it.

This episode is a River focused episode, it revolves around her and her "powers", her abilities. It shows us how everyone is afraid of her to some extent. Even she is a bit afraid of what she can do, she is afraid of the things they did to her and she is afraid she won't be able to control herself.

A bounty hunter appears to make a difficult situation ever harder.

The scenes between River and the bounty hunter, their exchange, they talk, all those things were very well writen and the acting was just perfect.

One other thing that I have to mention is the fact that Simon, once again, did everything he could to try to save his sister, the character of Simon is very well writen and a very loving character. The scened with him and River are one of the best things of the show and of this episode. The actors have an amazing chemistry and work very well together. All of that make us even start beliving that they are really Brother and sister and that that love exists, that that protection exists.

Well done.
  • A good episode. Series finale x-(

This episode is O.K. There isn't as much action and everything happens on Serenity. That's why i didn't like it as much.
    There are some funny quotes and funny moments, but also a confusing scene, as the bounty hunter is talkig to Kaylee.

Finally i was very sad at the end of the episode - it's the final episode.

x-(

BRING IT BACK!
  • My personal favorite episode.

Saying this was one of the most well done episodes doesn't really mean much, because all the episodes of Firefly that were made rocked; they were all well written and they were all well put together and acted.

This is my favorite episode largely because it deals a lot with the relationship between River and Simon. Siblings are my weakness! Simon sacrificed everything for River, and while he doesn't regret it and would definitely do it all over again, of course he would also wonder about where he could be if he hadn't had to do it. River picks up on those feelings as well as the feelings of the rest of the crew aboard--they wonder if she is a threat and if she really belongs with them.

The bounty hunter that comes for her was great. He was so well written, in that while he was a villain and on the wrong side, he was still enjoyable to watch and had some great lines. What he did to Kaylie was horrible, tormenting her that way. It took him awhile to figure out that River was on HIS ship. That was great too. And I loved River screaming for Simon after he got shot. That was great. And the crew, Jayne aside because he slept through the whole thing, decided that River DID belong with them. I liked the part with River and Mal, that was great. And Zoe removing the bullet from Simon while saying she usually puts them in people instead, and Wash ready with the trusty washcloth. Classic.
  • Didn't Inara leave in the previous episode?

I watched Firefly in the order they were intended to be watched on the DVD, not the order they actually aires. So, for me \"Heart of Gold\" was episode 14, and this one was episode 15. At the end of episode 14, Inara announces that she\'s leaving the ship, yet here she is as if nothing has happened in episode 15. What\'s up with that? Just curious. Good end to a great show that, like me, nobody watched when it was originally on the air.
  • The crew of Serenity if suddenly at the mercy of a bounty hunter who is after little River. However, this is no ordinary bounty hunter, this is Juble Early, and he's a most dangerous adversary.

Joss Whedon writes and directs the series finale, and if there is one way to go out: Joss knows how to do it.

Objects in Space starts with little River sleeping soundly, but soon turns into a bit of a nightmare. River runs into each of the crew members and a possible view from each of the members on River.

The idea of objects and their physical and metaphorical meaning play a large part in this episode. After a run ins with Kaylee & Simon(Simon having resenting feelings toward rescuing River), Jayne & Book(Jayne being the voice of reasoning and book sounding unreasonable), Zoe & Wash(showing what River knows nothing of: love), and Mal & Inara(where Inara just wants the truth from Mal and Mal expresses his emptiness);River seems to have a disoriented view on the members of Serenity.
    After waking from this dream state; we find River with a gun and the crew all rushing to help her.

The discussion of River is on everones mind and tension is high. Then comes Early. Juble Early boards the ship and not only gets his plan under way, but also is well acted and displays a hint of scary attitude one would expect from a bounty hunter. Early imobilizes the crew and takes Simon hostage, but finds that River is supposedly one with the ship Serenity! Rivers plans formulate in order to take down Early and the crew springs to action. While this is happening River says the words that every fan has been thinking since day one: that she is an outcast and that she does not belong. She admits a connection of lonliness to Juble Early and agrees to be his bounty. Upon leaving his ship to fetch River, the plan kicks into action and Mal throws Early off the ship and into the black(where he'd be floating for sometime with no one to chat with).

The little Albatross River is soon back on board and we see the crew of Serenity at peace for a moment...the last moment of the series.

Joss hits a home run with this episode. The halucinations from River(the high point being the docking back of Serenity being filled with golden leaves and twigs), the feelings of the crew (most notably Inara and Mal with there relationship at a crossroads) and the character Juble Early: all phenominal! The writing for Early was great and the tension between River and the crew reaching a boiling point is what made this episode. And while it is the final episode of Firefly(but not the end! Serenity the movie was great and hopefully sequels) the shows goes out with a high point.
    While nothing is resolved we remember what the show is about: nothing gets resolved on Serenity...they just keep flying. To some its not much, but to the crew: it's enough.
  • Objects in Space is one of the finest hours of TV ever produced (in my opinion). It is the perfect synthesis of philosophy and television, of Existentialism and being. This sort of episode is WHY I watch TV.

Objects in Space is one of the strangest and most interesting hours of TV I have ever seen. I first watched it while half in a coma (on DVD cos this never aired except for now on Sci-Fi), then I rewatched it, then I watched with the commentary on and I kept watching it because it is one of the creepiest hours of TV I've ever seen.

Jubal Early is hands down one of the scariest TV villians ever! Richard Brooks played this bounty hunter with the coldness of a serial killer. It was just downright creepifying. Scariest moment: he turns to Kaylee and says "You ever been raped?" Sends a shiver down my spine every time. Second creepiest line (said after Simon asks if Jubal is alone): "Am I a lion? I have a mighty roar" (or something to this effect).

So this episode is about River, it is River centric in that they are trying to determine what to do with her after they find her playing with a gun in the cargo bay and Kaylee relays the story of "No power in the 'verse can stop me now" assasin River from War Stories. Jubal Early comes to take River as one of his final bounties. She will not make it easy on him.

What is very creepy about this episode is how Jubal is very much like River. They are so similar in their perception of the world it is strange.

The episode is based on the existential arguement, or that an object or person or anything is nothing until we give it meaning. In the beginning when River picks up the stick, to her it is a tree branch, but to everyone else it is a gun. To this she claims "It's just an object, it doesn't mean anything" In a sense she is talking about herself too because she has no meaning, no purpose. River Tam is there, but is nothing.

She sees everything, feels everything, and knows everything, and yet she is nothing.

Special Points to notice: When River walks through the ship and gets 'visions' of each of the crew members is one of the most interesting and thought provoking moments of the whole series. Is it how she perceives them, or is she seeing their true selves? Serenity really is River's home and these people are important to her, she realizes she cannot just be imbued with meaning, she has to create her meaning, and she does.

It's tragic that this is the last episode before we lost the show. Fox really screwed up on this one, and the movie just doesn't pick up where this episode left off. There was so much left unsaid, so many things we didn't get to see, and it's heartbreaking.

If you own the DVDs I recommend watching the version with Joss' commentary immediately after watching your first viewing, it really helps you get what he was going for. He's an amazing writer and I still to this day believe this show was his swan song. Sing Joss, Sing!
  • This episode perfectly demonstrates why I worship Joss Whedon as my god.

This is as nearly a perfectly written episode as is possible. I only use the word "nearly" as a disclaimer since I cannot actually name a flaw in this particular episode.

Jubal Early is a perfect villain. He is afraid of nothing and has great vision. The first time I watched this, he scared me more than the Reavers... and instantly became one of my favorite guest characters ever. He is fascinating.

I could gush on and on about this show, but mere words (that were not written by Joss Whedon) can do it justice.
  • A bounty hunter tries to take River and gets more than he bargains for.

This was a really cool episode, because you get to see what goes on in River's mind. I love the ramblings of Early in this episode. The best line of the episode is:

Simon: Are you Alliance?
    Early: Am I a lion? No, I mean I don't consider my self a lion? I do have a big roar though.

Other highlights are River 'merging' with the ship, Simon's comments to Early, and Jayne hearing a noise and pulling the blanket off of the wall to show guns and then covering himself up with it. Priceless.
  • Overall, this episode is a nearly perfect combination of genre elements and philosophy on the nature of things. Operating on several levels in terms of the storytelling, this is exactly what “Firefly” was meant to be.

And so it ends.

Just as the season was about to take its first strong turn towards the finale, the story was cut short by the unbelievable cowardice of the FOX Network. There is, of course, a bittersweet second chapter to the story. Thanks to the strength of the DVD set and the support of fandom across the world, Universal Pictures saw fit to give Joss Whedon a modest budget for “Serenity”. Already, the buzz is strongly positive.

While spoilers have been avoided to this point, it’s hard not to notice from the trailer that there are similarities between this final episode and the film. At least, there are on the surface. This is an episode about a bounty hunter, operating in the name of the Alliance, running down the Tams, using whatever tactics are necessary. It stands to reason that this is only the first attempt, and that things would escalate over time.

More than just a simple story of dealing with an interloper with a great deal of skill, this is an episode about something. Joss was trying to communicate on several levels in this episode, and it works beautifully. River’s point of view is finally given screen time, and it helps to break down the “Firefly” universe in a rather unique fashion. All throughout, there’s the philosophical vision that lies beneath the action.

At this point in the season, everyone on board Serenity has been trying to work out their relationships, for good or ill, after everything that has happened since “Out of Gas” onward. Central to that idea is River’s place on the ship. Everyone else has cemented their value within the crew; River is still on the outside looking in. Even worse, her perception makes it hard for her to miss that fact.

Whatever difficulties Simon and Kaylee might have been having in “The Message” or “Heart of Gold” have certainly been resolved by this point. That’s more of an issue with the two previous episodes than an abrupt development in this installment, since that direction had already been established. But underneath it all is the underlying truth, which River detects without effort or ability to prevent it: Simon still wishes he could be in his old world.

River gets nothing hidden from Kaylee, but then, that’s expected. Kaylee has depths, to be sure, but she’s not one for hiding her emotional state from anyone. She wears her heart (and just about everything else) on her sleeve, right down to a frankness in her sexuality that is innocent yet very self-aware. Thus River doesn’t detect anything under Kaylee’s surface, because Kaylee doesn’t hide her true intentions.

Jayne, of course, is still dealing with his guilt over the incident in “Ariel”. Or is he? That’s actually not as clear as it might seem. After all, Simon and River confronted Jayne over that incident in “Trash”. So while it would be easy to assume that Jayne is still kicking himself for his earlier decision, it’s equally possible that he has since repeated his mistake. There’s still that little threat of Mal’s to consider, and how often does Joss put something like that on the shelf, if he doesn’t intend to use it?

Book’s hidden side is a lot more interesting. All the hints about his past point to something like black ops Alliance military intelligence. So his words may be reflective of his past, and the fact that he continually struggles to leave that kind of amoral psychology behind. Like Jayne, however, there’s the possibility of something far more sinister. That’s one of the best things about the series and its characters: one can never be sure if the characters will succeed in their search for redemption.

Wash and Zoe, of course, aren’t hard to read, but it gives insight into the kind of naked emotional communication that River is receiving. Simon feels regret and perhaps bitterness, Jayne feels guilt, and Book gives off a disturbing self-serving menace. But River’s “interaction” with Mal and Inara could be even more informative. Inara seems to be dealing with her present emotional state (her desire for Mal to tell her what he’s feeling, one would suspect). Mal, on the other hand, is looking away, as if living a past emotional state (his loss of faith in humanity).

So if all those scenes have a certain common rationale, then it would seem that Mal and Book are dwelling on the emotions of the past, the ones that brought them to this time and place. On the other hand, Simon, Jayne, and Inara (as well as Wash and Zoe) are feeling those emotions in River’s “present”. It’s no wonder that River deals with the world in a swirl of confusion, if she can’t help but experience words and underlying thought in the same instance.

That doesn’t make it any easier on the crew, especially when she’s playing with guns while living in her own world of altered perception. But the incident forces many of the crew to think about whether or not River should be on Serenity at all, and she can’t help but pick up on it all. And it doesn’t help that Kaylee reveals just how good she was with a firearm in “War Stories”. River the Loony Psychic Assassin doesn’t seem to rank high on anyone’s “preferred passenger” list. (Especially when it’s hinted that she “read” Jayne’s combination and took the gun without even realizing it.)

It puts Simon in one hell of a position. As usual, when Simon thinks of how River’s life should have gone, he can’t help but think on everything he’s given up as well. For all that Kaylee wants him to make a declaration, he’s still not reconciled with how things have turned out. It’s like he knows what he should be able to say, but he can’t bring himself to admit it. At least part of it seems to be the connection between Kaylee and his “new life”; if he accepts one, he must accept the other.

Apart from all of this is the question of Jubal Early. He seems to be nothing more than a highly proficient bounty hunter. But he’s also a lot more proficient than one would expect. This begs the question: is Early in some way related to River? Was Early an “earlier” model of a modified human? That would seem to run counter to the idea that River is the test subject furthest along the path of experimentation, and the speculation that Simon’s attempt to heal River will actually result in the very thing that the Alliance wanted to create. But it does speak to Early’s odd sense of reality, which seems to resonate with River in an odd way.

Early is brutal in his tactics. He takes down Mal and Book through the element of surprise, but it’s implied that it should have been harder, under normal circumstances. It’s his manner with Kaylee that is most disturbing. It’s hard not to consider historically sensitive associations of a black man threatening to rape a defenseless young white woman; it’s actually surprising that fewer people took issue with it.

What sets Early apart is his departures into philosophical space. He wonders at the nature of things, what gives a thing or a place its meaning. Function and purpose are two very different things in the mind of Jubal Early. He seems to find pleasure in defining the purpose of a thing, being precise in it. His comment about surgeons being “cut on” is indicative of this: to understand the nature of healing, one must experience it, understand its purpose directly.

This is very similar to River’s condition, but she’s tapping into it far more directly. River gets caught between the distinctive states of understanding and comprehending. She understands what her perception registers, but she doesn’t make the same comprehensive conclusions with the information, because she’s operating within a different set of assumptions with completely different sensory input. Similarly, Early looks at the world and sees a specific object or space with absolute clarity; it’s defining the purpose that throws him off.

River’s solution to the problem of Early is rather novel. More importantly, by this point, Joss manages to make River’s claim convincing. River seems to understand Early well enough, through her perception or her realization of how similar they are, to know how to creep past his defenses. At the same time, she’s playing on the fear and awe held by the crew. In reality, of course, River’s true gambit is the only possible explanation. But for just a moment or so, it’s convincing enough to be very disturbing and heart-breaking.

Of course, underneath it all, River “reads” everyone on Serenity and positions them where they need to be. Some might wonder how someone like River, who “feels everything”, could possibly be a good assassin, but this is how. She can quickly figure out how to put all the pieces of her “dream” where they belong and account for their mental state, all in the process of completing an objective. With enough training, she could even accomplish such tasks without making a direct move herself.

Oddly, Simon seems to be able to act outside of her expectations. That seems to indicate a limit to her ability. River’s plan was going fine, so long as people were willing to follow her directions or work within their established patterns. Yet River should have known that Simon would risk everything to keep her out of Alliance hands. River is apparently still a work in progress.

Even so, River’s plan goes well enough, given it’s simplicity, and Simon just gets to fulfill Early’s wishes by getting to experience the removal of a bullet. For all that people are nervous around River, she seems to have proven her worth and her intentions. Instead of just being Simon’s wacky sister, she becomes the crew’s wacky younger cousin (in a manner of speaking). Sure, Jayne is probably still not sold on the idea, but that’s never likely to happen.

One could spend a great deal of time trying to explore the rich philosophical ground that Joss had in mind when he wrote and directed the episode, but it’s far better to listen to the DVD commentary and let him explain it on his own terms. In many respects, this episode is the culmination of everything Joss has done since “Buffy” began: the merging of genre elements with deep psychological and philosophical questions.

By the end of this episode, the integration of the crew has more or less been completed. The intention was surely to take that new status quo and mess with it mightily. Characters have desires and plans, and Joss loves to throw roadblocks in the middle of each and every path. It’s also likely that one or two crew members would end up dead along the way. How many of the established character intentions and hints for the future are realized in the film “Serenity” is still to be seen.

Some things, though, will never be explored in the detail one would desire. Mal’s search for trust in humanity isn’t something that can be completed in a single film, especially since that search is tied directly to his relationships with several people, all of which have their own trials and tribulations. Book’s past may be revealed, but on the series, it would have played out over time, and it would have factored into his relationship and redemptive quality with Mal. Similarly, Inara’s exit, if ever depicted, won’t be as meaningful if it takes place off screen.

There’s the whole question of Zoe and Wash and their plans for parenthood, which is likely to be dropped completely (especially if one of them is killed, as the previous episode seemed to foreshadow). Simon and Kaylee’s relationship has been so on/off over the past several episodes that it’s quite impossible to predict if it would have worked. Since Simon’s relationship with Kaylee was a barometer for his acceptance of his new life, it’s unlikely that it will be a big part of the film.

River, on the other hand, was the beginning of the story, and so it makes sense that she would factor heavily into its end. Logically, as mentioned above, this episode should be the precursor to an even more determined search. River’s awareness of her function will probably be explored, since Simon will have had some time to further understand what the Alliance did to her.

Two major possibilities remain on the table. If the crew manages (probably off-screen at this point) to bring Mal further along the path of personal redemption, in terms of connecting more with humanity, then he could become involved in a more active role against the Alliance. River was ostensibly created to be a weapon for the Alliance; she could just as easily be a weapon against her creators. Mal might have to struggle with the notion of gaining the freedom he desires at the cost of River’s self-determination.

On the other hand, there’s the side of the story represented by Jayne. If Zoe, Kaylee, Book, and Inara all function to support certain aspects of Mal’s humanity, then Jayne is the opposite. As seen in earlier episodes, Jayne is on the edge of pure self-involvement. It’s more than a little obvious that he fears the idea that the Reavers are humans who have fallen, reverting to the cold-blooded reptile of instinct. But of all the crew, Jayne is the closest to the Reavers in terms of how he deals with others.

The series has been, in many respects, the question of how Mal, a man at a spiritual crossroads, deals with the dilemma of a dangerous young woman who needs his help. If “Serenity” focuses on River’s plight, then the story is equally about Mal and his own journey. His decisions in dealing with River would reflect the success or failure of his own redemption. If that is indeed the focus, then representative elements would have to be present in the story as well: the Alliance, the Reavers, and the underworld elements in between.

In terms of this episode, however, it provides a bittersweet but logical resting point for the story. If “Serenity” is a single film, with no future as a franchise, then it becomes the capstone to a series that never came to fruition. But if “Serenity” is the beginning of an eventual series of films, then “Firefly” becomes the prologue…the story of how the adventures in the films began. Either way, this episode ends the series, however prematurely, on the same high note at which it began.
  • After each viewing I feel like kicking the fine people at FOX for cancelling this show. I mean, this one is just so freaking good! The potential! Plus its got that guy from L&O from way back when.

Confession: I never watched the show during its original run. I caught all of the eps on DVD long after it had been axed. I was waiting to see the episode which proved that this show should have been canceled. When I got to this, the last episode, I was thinking to myself, "Alright, this has to be terrible, and will definatly show why it only lasted half a season." My repsonse when the credits started rolling was more akin to, "Noooooooo! Wait, how can this be stopping?!? What happens next, what do you mean that's the last one and there aren't anymore?! Kaaaaaahn!"

Another thing, was I the only one who thought that the first AADA from Law & Order just dropped off the face of the Earth (that is)? Well, it seems that my assumption wasn't that far off. Though I'm still not quite sure what to make of his performance on Firefly, it just seemed kind of off. But the character--whoa.

River-- it was nice getting a glimpse of what's going on in that messed up cute little ole head of hers

And Simon without his shirt on. Well, Helllooooo Doctah!