Firefly

Out of Gas

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 25, 2002 on FOX

• The very best episode of what proved to be one of the most innovative sci fi series ever.

For me Out of Gas was the perfect episode. We saw another side to our favourite crew members. Each scene was perfect in itself and the flashbacks proved to be very informative.

I love the verbal sparring between Mal and Inara. Their bickering repartee has all the hallmarks of the classic Hollywood film couples. Tracey and Hepburn, Bogart and Bacall and many others.

We had an indication that Wash is not just the comic relief. His reaction to Zoe's injury was just right and the tension between him and Mal when he refused to leave her side was quite scary.

The Bester character was a nice little cameo. I just loved the look on Mal's face when he found his engineer and a 'prairie harpy' getting it on in the engine room.

Nathan Fillion's facial expressions are wonderful. He can say almost as much with the quirk of an eyebrow as he can with a full paragraph of script.

If a newcomer to the series watches only one episode it has to be Out of Gas.