FlashForward

Black Swan

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 15, 2009 on ABC

7.9
  • The suspense continues

The story line continue to build and we start to learn more about the I am impressed, and think the series is maintaining the momentum well.
  • Lucklustre but still trying.

This episode is a marked improvement on the last. It still suffers from the same approach to screenplay as the previous 2/3 episodes. Not enough time is devoted to the central plot to make this much of a drama. Too many scenes are focused on the subplots which mean the action is substituted for characterisation. At least though these scenes are focused the FF seen by the relevant characters. Still everyone of these remains up-in-the-air. The overall impression is that nothing concrete seems to have happened since day 1. The show should have focused more on the investigation. Only touching on the portrayl of human to the event. While this is interesting, its just not enough to raise the overal score above good. Yes there is enough interest to keep watching, but most things seem airy. Which is a considerable shame given that this should be a conspiracy driven drama. Not one driven by the underlying philosphical concept. Personally speaking I would have kept Simcoe's involvement as a series clincher. But I guess that due to the flatlining intensity (for the most part), any jerk in the direction of action is welcome. Fingercrossed that this becomes more conspiracy driven than soap-esque.

Its not even with commenting on the dialogue - which just isnt as good as so many other great shows. It just doesnt add nothing to proceedings. Though at least it doesnt detract from the show. Seriously though, if future episodes continue in this vein, its obvious why the show was cancelled. Which is a shame because with a few tweeks to the general format, it could have made a compelling drama. I suspect that the remaining true to the book, actually handicapped the entermainment value that was sought in production.
  • Better

Olivia struggles to accept Bryce's suggestion that a patient's flashforward holds the key to a correct diagnosis and treatment. Meanwhile, Demetri accuses Mark of waiting for the future he saw in his flashforward to come true without incident, while Mark feels Demetri is letting his fear of what he witnessed envelop his life; and Nicole returns to work as Mark and Olivia's daughter's babysitter, and discloses her shocking future vision -- involving a murder. Like i said in the last review for the last episode this was much better than episode 3 and we saw our first glimpse of doms character simon.
  • Much better.

Olivia finds it difficult to take advice from Bryce. Mark and Demetri come to disagree with each other. While Nicole goes back to work and has a shocking premonition. In my opinion this episode was so much better than last weeks, which is obviously a good thing. There is a lot of intense moments in this episode, my favourite part no doubt about it was the ending where Dominic Monaghan came on, I have a theory about him he is the man who was walking around in the baseball stadium - I'm sure he is evil anyway. I found Nicole's flash forward was really good, I think she is a great part of the plot. I can't wait to see what happens next episode after the finsh of this episode.
  • Much better.

After last week's dip, I am relieved that this episode went back to form. It seemed to be better written, acted and directed. There are still a few glitches, but it is good nonetheless.

I liked how they blended the stories together this week- with Demetri freaking out about his supposed murder, and Nicole scared someone is going to drown her, and Mark taking a quite likable role as he played with his kid, and comforted both Demetri and Nicole.

On the other side, Bryce believing good things were going to happen to him, and the story with Ned were very well handled, as were the scenes with Olivia and Simcoe. The character development was done a lot better than all of the previous episodes- and the opening scene was brilliant in my opinion.

The cliffhanger at the end reminded me of the first Season of Heroes- it was very well done, and opened a lot of doors by the clever device of asking more questions! I do hope the writers don't forget the ones they have already posed, however.

Overall, this lived up to the promise that the premiere showed- I hope they keep it up to this standard. Excellent.
  • A lot of intense moments, and a pretty sweet chase scene.. but once again, not much happens.

For the second week in a row, FlashForward seemed to be at a bit of a stand still. There's always little hints that things will be happening, but they never do in the episode they're mentioned in. Instead, we're left to watch the characters talk to each other about their flash forwards and about what they should be doing instead of actually DOING stuff. And I don't know if I'm just numb and haven't noticed, but it seems like they're mentioning plots and not following through with them. More on that later..

The best part of the episode was when Benford and Noh went to Indio in order to track down a possible lead given to them by the blonde terrorist woman. The chase scene was intense, funny in some ways, and was actually filmed expertly. Of course, they get nothing out of it, but it was intense while it lasted. I also thought there was some great acting and emotional scenes between characters, such as Bryce and Olivia arguing over whether or not Ned's condition can be predicted from his flash forward. The intensity in those scenes were done well, even though I've been craving some physical violence as well.

That being said, I wasn't a fan of the whole Ned thing. It was funny, and the slow motion crash of the bus was pretty cool, but it didn't fit in with everything else. It gave Olivia a reason to succumb to the power of the flash forward, sure, but other than that, it felt like a scene thrown in for comedic effect.

So far, I like where the show is going, and seeing how the ratings aren't horrific and that the show has been brought back for a full season, we should be getting some answers soon. I'm officially hooked in and I have to stick around to see what happens. Let's just hope that they kick it up a notch, out of neutral and into some exciting territory.
  • Nice transition.

Low-key, but that's understandable on a serial show like this. You can't have big drama scenes bang-bang-bang every episode; sometimes the subtle touches are important. The best touch is that though we and Bryce know where Olivia is coming from, nobody else does, so nobody is questioning her lapses in judgement yet. On the other hand, I thought it was odd that Olivia seems to take credit for Bryce's "Addison disease" diagnosis even when she admits to Bryce later that he was correct.

Also it's a nice revelation of Mark's character, that he forgives odd behavior from both Dmitri and Nicole once he realizes that it's "flashforward"-related.
  • Olivia finds it difficult to take advice from Bryce. Mark and Demetri come to disagree with each other. While Nicole goes back to work and has a shocking premonition.

Given what we eventually come to find out about the hero from the bus scene it was absolutely wonderful how they put the opening scene together!

At first I found myself questioning why they were playing such odd music that didn't fit with the scene. Upon realizing that the guy had Addison's disease (via Bryce's understanding of the guy's Flash Forward) brought the scene together well!

Overall the dialog in this episode was much better than the previous ones. Lines such as,"Want to get you the right phone card!" by Dimitri; "Really Agent Noh, and I thought it was you running out of time!" response by the rogue agent during interrogations; and "I guess this is the new, "how's the weather" huh?" were well written and acted.

Boy Olivia's overall plot being played out was painful. They did a good job demonstrating how she's having a difficult time dealing with accepting Flash Forwards given what that would mean for herself. She played her part very well in each scene!

Trying her best to dodge Lloyd, transferring him and his son to another unit only to be shocked by their return via the other unit's rejection. She played her role well in confrontation with Bryce as she initially refused to accept his realization of truth via the Flash Forwards.

I loved the Russian pot dealer's short scene and of course the resulting fight between Demitri and Mark! The rogue agent played a good game with the FBI as well during her interrogation...well acted!

Last but not least it was interesting to see the babysitter's Flash Forward revealed..it definitely left something to look forward to as it is played out! And of course the introduction of Simon and his call to out of all people....Lloyd! OUCH!!!!

Well done folks!