FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Can all the FBI agents be that imagination less and dumb?

mafiaboi89

[1]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 3

***SOOILERS ABOUT EPISODE 7***

I'm sorry but re watching episode 7, which I found very good nonetheless, I found the FBI agents of LA were incredibly dumb! Here's my explanation.

The whole episode is about "can the future be changed" and to prove that it can, Al jumps down the building. But do all agents lack our imagination? They thinka bout this every single day of the week, I think about the show a few hours a week and I still figured tons of way the future WOULD definitely change. My best example, as mentionned often is Mark being alone in his office when the whole FBI team knows he will be ambushed. Don't tell me NOBODY will stay there to back him? Not even his boss in the bathroom? Come one they should have spotted that flaw in Mark's FF a long time ago! Then his boss' FF, his colleague who's leaving's FF, they wpuld all be proven wrong. You don't need to see it happen to know it undoubtly will!

Same goes for Nicole, on april 29th at 10pm she will stay as far away from any water possible and lock herself in a prison cell in the FBI building so she can't get drowned or something.

My point is, the fact that they already know each and every movement makes it rather impossible that they will replicate the exact same thing! Its kind of hard to believe they will "play it out" as if it was a written script. Some will just contradict it for fun, others because they don't like it, but they won't reenact it as if it was a written script. This proves that the FF aren't the exact future and it can be changed! Mark will not be alone about to get shot and his boss will not be on the can! Just to name 2....

So I find them dumb at the FBI to think it will happen the same way it was shown and you can get around it. They should have all though of Mark's FF by now or they should get fired! If I was the boss I'd fire someone they said he was working just to prove the FF are wrong! lol

What do you think of my idea?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mafiaboi89

[2]Nov 7, 2009
    I keep reading posts in this forum and I have one thing to say to most people: THE FLASHFORWARDS CAN VERY HARDLY TELL THE FUTURE THE EXACT WAY IT WILL HAPPEN!!! BECAUSE PEOPLE SAW THEM!

The fact that they saw them, they will DEFINITELY not make them happen. Al (if he wasn't dead would have went to the british agent much later, Mark wouldn't have stayed so late, the boss wouldn't go bathroom at that exact time) BECAUSE THEY KNOW ITS WHAT THEY'RE "SUPPOSE TO DO!"

I mean if I told you tomorrow you'll all get on one foot and spin in circles will you do it just to prove me right? They will do everything they can NOT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, that's their point so why would they follow a pre-written future when they have the control of their actions. Its not like a supernatural force was keeping Mark in the office or pushing Al (still supposing he didn't commit suicide) to the British lady's office. Since they have control of their actions, they will not follow them so the "future doesn't happen"

Everyone talks as if on April 29th people will either have forgotten the FF and do as they would of or people will try to remember and react the exact thing they saw. Of course not!!!!

rab4280

[3]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 8

I see what you are saying, and kind of agree. Personally, I like FlashForward but do agree plot holes are holding it back from being a great show. The show does make you wonder why it has taken this long to have concrete proof that the future isn't certain (and may even be avoided by seeing the flash forward).

In my mind, the question of the show isn't whether the flash forwards will happen exactly as they were seen. It's dissapointing they haven't said so explicly on the show, but I imagine the FBI agents have thought about all the points you've mentioned. No, the question is more of can the future seen be avoid? Can anything that happens between now and the next six months stop the overall end result of the flash forwards from happening?

So far, to the best of my knowledge, nothing we've seen except for Al's suicide disproves the end result of any flash forward. The question is, of course, does trying to avoid the future lead to a "course correction"? Something like Final Destination maybe?

I think the point you miss is that despite seeing the flash forwards the characters don't know all the steps in between, and thus might not be able to avoid their flash forward. Nicole doesn't know the bad thing she did that made her deserve to drown. Al didn't know what he did to hurt Celia, and couldn't possibly avoid (unless he went to prison for 6 months...?)

Hope this makes sense.

mafiaboi89

[4]Nov 7, 2009
    It actually goes right along how I think. The only difference is you're talking until then, I'm talking right then and hours before. Again my best example is Mark and his boss. Knowing he was suppose to go to the bathroom on that exact minute, he will most likely not, changing the future as he saw it. Nothing is going to make his legs move towards the bathroom. Or he'll go at nine thirty to make sure he doesn't have to go at 10, so he can help out Mark. Because they don't know the future UNTIL the FF, all they know is the future DURING the FF and that is VERY easy to change. And every tiny change in one's FF affects the whole world's FFs.

Now to the events leading there are as random as the events happening to me you and anyone else tomorrow, all they know is sort of a partial picture of a small time frame in the future, thus the rest is as random events as it would have been if they didn't see anything since they don't know how each action affects the results seen in the FFs.

Its just bugging me that all the FBI agents think nothing can change the future as if it was already written in stone, its not logical from a team of FBI agents. What is proven to be true from the FF is what they made happen true, nothing less. Now if it happens is because they are going towards it, if they fight it (like Al) they can change it.

ocean58

[5]Nov 8, 2009
    • level: 53

I cannot agree with you, that the FBI agents think that they cannot change the future. In matter of fact they are hoping to change it. There are a lot of points proving this. Al comitting suicide is his own will to create a better future for Celia. Mark hugging his wife hoping to build up the trust relationship with his wife again. The english agent Fiona Banks taping the window to prevent the bird from crushing. Demetri hoping to have a future with his fiancee. And a very special point out I'd like to make is that Simon is thinking if he had or will succeed in changing Annabelle's future.

As far as your point about the moment FF occuring is concerned, I can only say we don't see the whole circumstances when the ambush occures. One possible solution would be that Mark and Co. have prepared a trap to catch the assailants and that Mark is actually not alone.

But for me the real question is can you really change the future? Al has definetely has changed his own by his own will. I think we can say for sure that he is dead now. But can we say for sure, that Celia's future has also changed by Al's suicide. I think no, as another circumstance can lead to the same outcome. I am thinking, that another FBI agent, maybe Demetri, will be going to London to investigate about Rutherford case and the bird scene and the telephone scene will occur exactly the same way as in the FF leading to the same result for the "replacement" FBI Agent.

And exactly this is what the writers want us to think of. Is future our own will or not. Do we have a destiny or not. Shall we have hope for a better future or not.

mafiaboi89

[6]Nov 9, 2009

ocean58 wrote:
    I cannot agree with you, that the FBI agents think that they cannot change the future. In matter of fact they are hoping to change it. There are a lot of points proving this. Al comitting suicide is his own will to create a better future for Celia. Mark hugging his wife hoping to build up the trust relationship with his wife again. The english agent Fiona Banks taping the window to prevent the bird from crushing. Demetri hoping to have a future with his fiancee. And a very special point out I'd like to make is that Simon is thinking if he had or will succeed in changing Annabelle's future.
    But all those examples come after Al's suicide, when they get that they can change the future. Before that Demetri tells Mark that everything that they saw is happening and he doesn't think he can change it.

ocean58 wrote:
    I am thinking, that another FBI agent, maybe Demetri, will be going to London to investigate about Rutherford case and the bird scene and the telephone scene will occur exactly the same way as in the FF leading to the same result for the "replacement" FBI Agent.
    You've answered your own question. If Demetri goes to London on April 29th, then he changed his own future and also his fiance's futur and pretty much everyone's future. If Al is replaced in his FF, then that replacement person's FF changed and so did everyone's by the domino effect. Any tiny change makes a huge difference.

ocean58 wrote:
    I think its what writers want us to think. Is future our own will or not?
    I think the point of Al's suicide was to prove that future is their own wil. To stop people from thinking that the future is set in stone. Cause as someone said if it can't change then we watch 23 episodes to come back to exactly what we know is suppose to happen... kinda boring

But you're right about the fact we don't know EVERYTHING about the circumstances of the FFs, but we know that all the agents were busy not helping Mark in their FF, which is highly improbable now that they know Mark will be in danger. What I'm trying to say is that it's highly improbable that, having seen those 2 minutes 17, they will now happen as they saw it because the fact that they know what happens, they won't act the same way they did in their FF and they will change what they don't like and what they know.(does that make sense to anyone else than me? Its not a particularly well written sentence lol o.O)

Edited on 11/09/2009 12:08am
    Edited 2 total times.