FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Can you change the fate?

grikalem

[1]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 6

I had an impression that they will try to change the future but they will only see the things would just happen whatever they do, like in Deja Vu. However, the story is very open to change easily and writers love to surprise viewers. I think we must not be able to see if the future is changeable till the end of the show.

For our world, I believe that we can change our future. Our fate is there but there is allways something to do about it. Diversifying the fate is the fate too.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sirius452

[2]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 10

I hope it's not one of those "can't change the future" things. Like if someone tried to kill themselves and couldn't. That would make the whole thing pointless wouldn't it?

Most likely it's going to be a middle ground. Little things will change but all roads will lead to the same outcome. That's my best guess anyway.

80style

[3]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 2
    Sirius452 wrote:
    I hope it's not one of those "can't change the future" things.

Coming from a guy with Faraday as his avatar.

on topic, I am thinking they are going to go with this "you can't change the future" type thing, but then hopefully they'll write it off as a self-fulfilling prophesy type deal. It would kind of suck if everything came to pass, it kind of ruins everything if you know that no matter what this is how it ends

Chaos_Zombie

[4]Sep 30, 2009
    I'm trying to understand why everyone is focusing on whether or not the future can change. I don't think it's as important to the show as trying to find out the purpose of the blackout and who's behind it as well as what happens in the future. They won't know if they are changing the future until that day comes since they don't get 'updates' on their flashforward to see if they are changing anything. It happened and now they are left with trying to piece together what has happened and what will happen.

charblasaur

[5]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 13

In Marks flash he saw his future self working on why the flashes had happened. That means future-Mark had also had a flash, and that flash was of future-Marks future self, future-Mark2 working the case, meaning future-Mark2's flash was of Future-Mark3 working the same case, etc etc etc.

I know it might be bit hard to follow and i may have said something wrong but in my opinion they cant change the future, because if they could it would already be changed meaning no flashes but with no flashes they wouldnt know to change the future in the first place.

If time could be changed there could be no future, only a present and past. We would have to be at the peek of time. But our present is our pasts future so that doesnt work ethier.

Once again i know its hard to follow and i suck at explaining myself.

If you have seen 12 Monkeys Army you might understand.

Edited on 10/16/2009 9:17pm

Zelda_of_Arel

[6]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    The theory behind future telling is that whatever you do, it will come true. Even if you try to change it, you are still working towards that outcome. Think Star Wars III. It's because when you see the future, all your actions trying to prevent it had happened. And yes, I have told the future a number of times from cards.

kbelliveau

[7]Oct 17, 2009

Except for In Star Wars 3 they had no choice but to make it happen that way because everyone already knew how it ended.

I think the only person whos future can change will be Demetris simply because if he can find the means to solving his murder he just allowed himself to have a future. Mark, Olivia, LLoyd, Nicole, Charlie, Bryce, NEd Ned and the rest of the world to me have no choice but to give in and allow it to happen. The outcome of their lives isnt determined, just a captured moment in their future. So just because Olivia saw herself with LLoyd doesnt mean she would never make her way back to Mark. Just because Mark saw three guys trying to kill him doesnt mean he is going to die. I personally want to know wha Bryce saw in his Flash Forward.

Edited on 10/17/2009 5:41am

mimisc2009

[8]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    I hope they can or else there will be no point to the flashforward.

sluffmochildeater

[9]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 4

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the future can be changed. Eventually people will do things simply to change their future in a significant way. With the way people are acting about their futures when they are bad it's hard to believe they won't go out of their way to make them not happen. To the point of killing another person or something else as permanent. I mean, a simple thing to do would be to remove a toe or something if you saw those things in your vision. Even easier would be to burn the outfit you are wearing in the vision or just wear something different that day. It doesn't seem possible that everyone would only have that one outfit available that day. Heck, have everyone turn off their phone and drive to Mexico, or get on a boat out to sea.

That's what is most interesting to me. What is going to happen the day of the visions, because billions of people are going to do whatever they can to make sure those visions don't happen.

Jeric-Ho

[10]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 34
    If the show follows the book, which it has not so far really apart from some character names and small plots but if it does there is a possibility that the future can be changed, I have not finished the book yet though so not 100% sure! As it is not even clear in the show or the book yet that the visions they saw were even real or were just a possible out-come.

sputnik2121

[11]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    I do think the future will be able to be changed. I mean, Demetri, for example, hs been told he will be murdered on March 15th. There is nothing stopping him from shooting himself tomorrow, thus changing the future. I know it means that the outcome is still the same and that he will be did 6 mths after the blackout, but he will have changed the future as he no longer gets murdered. So yes, I do think they can change the futeure, but to what extent, I don't know.