FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

flashforward theory?.. some spoilers

blitz7

[1]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 1

After watching up to the most recent ep, i thought a possible theory regarding the flashfowards..
    the flashfowards are not entirely true, and that some elements mean the opposite.

Some examples:

1. Agent Benford is 'loaded' in his flashfoward, however currently in the present, he's been clean for 7yrs. This event is out of context.

2. Olivia is in a relationship with Simcoe in her flashfoward. In today's world, as suggested by the most recent ep, she's trying to keep her marriage alive with Benford, and in few cases, trying to avoid simcoe. hence, this entire event (of the FF) is out of context

3. Janis is taking an ultrascan in her FF and shows that she is pregnant. However,most recent ep reveals that she is a lesbian and is in a ongoing relationship?
    So this is also out of context

So my point is, there seems to be an element in the flashforwards that are out of context for the person. So i think, these elements are the opposite since the occurance of FF, mightve created an alternate future, which may have changed somethings observed in the FF. its like the FF has resulted in a new future created by the present. (starting to sound sciencey lol) So:

1.Benford will not start drinking as his FF warned him of this

2. Olivia will not be in a genuine relationship with Simcoe as the FF allows her to be more resilient into maintaing her current marriage and being more 'cold' to simcoe

3. Janis will not be pregnant. in fact, i don't think she'll live after she got shot.. i personally think she lost too much blood. In the final scenes of the ep, there was strong emphasise on Janis bleeding to DEATH and her flashfoward. To me, it seems she was having an EPIPHANY in which her flashfoward's meaning was the opposite.
    ie. being pregnant = symbolic to LIFE/BIRTH > flashforward warning of her death.

and also just remembered something important

4. Aaron, Benford's friend/sponsor sees his daughter alive in the FF, however in the present, he dug her remains and confirmed she is dead.this supports my reverse FF theor. ie = life > death

so i would like to believe that all flashfowards have elements of truth but its important to realise possible hidden agendas

And i also know, that in 6 months a lot can happen, so i know this theory has its flaws tell me what you think

Edited on 10/23/2009 8:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ocean58

[2]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 53

I don't agree.

1. 1.Benford is under stress and he might start drinking again.
    2. 2.Olivia might start a relationship with Lloyd Simcoe, which will strengthen the theory, that Benford will start drinking again.
    3. 3.Don't believe that Janis is dead for several reasons. The bets are, that she will have a baby from Dr. Bryan in the hospital.
    4. 4.We don't know much what happened to Aaron's daughter.
    Still good thinking, I think the writers try to lead viewers on false tracks.

Edited on 10/24/2009 2:59am

kbelliveau

[3]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 10
    blitz7 wrote:

After watching up to the most recent ep, i thought a possible theory regarding the flashfowards..
    the flashfowards are not entirely true, and that some elements mean the opposite.

Some examples:

1. Agent Benford is 'loaded' in his flashfoward, however currently in the present, he's been clean for 7yrs. This event is out of context.

2. Olivia is in a relationship with Simcoe in her flashfoward. In today's world, as suggested by the most recent ep, she's trying to keep her marriage alive with Benford, and in few cases, trying to avoid simcoe. hence, this entire event (of the FF) is out of context

3. Janis is taking an ultrascan in her FF and shows that she is pregnant. However,most recent ep reveals that she is a lesbian and is in a ongoing relationship?

So my point is, there seems to be an element in the flashforwards that are out of context for the person. So i think, these elements are the opposite since the occurance of FF, mightve created an alternate future, which may have changed somethings observed in the FF. its like the FF has resulted in a new future created by the present. (starting to sound sciencey lol) So:

2. Olivia will not be in a genuine relationship with Simcoe as the FF allows her to be more resilient into maintaing her current marriage and being more 'cold' to simcoe

3. Janis will not be pregnant. in fact, i don't think she'll live after she got shot.. i personally think she lost too much blood. In the final scenes of the ep, there was strong emphasise on Janis bleeding to DEATH and her flashfoward. To me, it seems she was having an EPIPHANY in which her flashfoward's meaning was the opposite.
    ie. being pregnant = symbolic to LIFE/BIRTH > flashforward warning of her death.

4. Aaron, Benford's friend/sponsor sees his daughter alive in the FF, however in the present, he dug her remains and confirmed she is dead.this supports my reverse FF theor. ie = life > death

so i would like to believe that all flashfowards have elements of truth but its important to realise possible hidden agendas

And i also know, that in 6 months a lot can happen, so i know this theory has its flaws tell me what you think

1.Mark doesnt want to drink, clearly recovering addicts dont want to relapse but it happens. I dont think many people realize how easy it can happen in the blink of an eye.

2. Have you not noticed that despite all her attempts to avoid simcoe he still keeps returning. She moved his son to a different wing of the hospital and he came back.

3.I wouldnt count Janis dead until one of the characters announces or we see a funeral. Janis is going to end up pregnant, it adds to shows suspense. Who is it going to be since she is a lesbian. I doubt a brand new show still looking to click is just going to kill a storyline that many people are probably enjoying.

4.I dont think Aarons daughter is dead. There are many reasons her DNA could have been transported back and her parents forced to believe she is dead.

All I can tell you is expect the unexpected when it comes to this show. They havent yet gone the way of what the fans expected. No future vison will change until atleast March 15th sorry to spoil that. If the show reveals now that the future can change then many people will just believe that Demetri will live.

ypomoni

[4]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 13
    I find the theory interesting, and yes, maybe for some the opposite will indeed happen! But at this moment, from what I've seen so far, it appears everything is leading to the FF becoming a reality. What's even more weird is that the attempts being made to invalidate the possible future are, in some cases, the same actions that lead them to becoming true!

1) Mark is withholding the whole truth from the wrong people, an this has been taking a toll on him. This sorta behavior can, for example, lead to him being the reason his wife walks away. He may feel responsible for this; also, Dimitri may have died at some point and Mark couldn't save him, making him feel responsible for that too. These two facts can lead him to fall off the wagon.

2)Olivia and Simcoe had the same FF. It seems wierd to me that them having an identical FF could possibly mean the opposite, for them both!

3)From what I've seen, Janis' character is credited for upcoming episodes. I doubt she dies. In fact, this near-death experience could be the reason for her wanting to have children!

4)Aaron. I've mentioned this in a previous thread - someone might be lying to him. It's possible the military have sent his daughter on an undercover mission and that something top-secret has gone terribly wrong. They may be lying to him about matching DNA to cover-up something. It would, however, be a very interesting twist to find out his FF was not true...

wallflower07

[5]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 7
    I think Nicole drowning is a false flash forward when it's really her in Iraq being visited by mark's spouncer after all she did look an awful lot like Tracy he probably saw her and justby wishful thinking assumed it was his daughter.

NerdTV

[6]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 3
    blitz7 wrote:

Some examples:

This post has made me think of something I previously over looked because it's such a common thing.

In the first scene of the first episode Mark opens a safe that has a note in it that says: "You're a crappy husband, I hate you" Moments later he tells her in her ear that he hates her too. I do this to an extent in my relationship too, so it can't be that uncommon. It's showing affection through a humorous opposite. It's obviously not true, and means exatly the contrary.

Applying that same idea to the whole show, given that some aspects of the FlashForwards are obviously out of context, it would seem plausible that this could be applied for some aspects of their FFs as well.

CharlesTheBold

[7]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 7

Here's my theory. Most of the flashforwards are real, but the bad guys could examine and tamper with a few. They know Mark's team is going to be a threat, so they play with the FBI agents' heads:

(1) They put a drinking scene in a flashforward for a recovered alcoholic (Mark)

(2) They plant Lloyd in the flashforward of a faithful wife (Olivia) After all, Lloyd seems to have worked for the bad guys. Maybe it was originally somebody harmless, like Aaron.

(3) They make a lesbian (Janis) believe she is having an ultrasound for pregnancy (maybe it was "really" a followup to her gunshot treatment)

(4) They censor out Dmitri's flashforward altogether. Because it has the crucial clue? The mysterious phone lady may be a "bad guy" making sure that he gets frazzled.

edgar2007perez

[8]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 4
    i think they're trying to create a time machine instead of sending the body and mind in the speed of light they are trying to send only the mind itself. I guess a experiment to control the Nostradamus vision to see the future. The time in Somalia 1991 it fail the experiment and basically nothing happen just people collapse and they did it again and it did happend the flashforward. i think is all true how can someone control a flashforward.
    Edited on 10/31/2009 8:38pm

DarthFreeza

[9]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 23

Interesting thoery. You do have some points in saying alot of the flashfowards are out of contex with the people who had them.

This could hold some meaning.

But also might not and you could be looking to far into things.

I personally believe that the flashfowards just show what life would have been like for people if they did not have the visions and that a person could change what he or she saw.

But your theory does seem plausible.

mafiaboi89

[10]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 3
    Yes it does for some but everything seems to fall into place - which is to say like they saw - for most of them because they saw it. -Mark and Olivia's problems are only related to the fact that she saw what she saw. -The whole investigation could have never started without Marc seeing his board.
    -Aaron would have never started searching for his daughter if he didn't see her alive. (btw the IDed remains could be her lower body but he didn't see her injury in the vision or something like that)
    -Dylan and Lloyd wuld have never went to the Benford's if Dylan did not see that address and heard "its your house too"

So it kind of comes back to the Shrodinger's cat explanation: will the future happens because people saw it and will make it happen or will it change because they saw it. Either way, the future is directly related to those visions and would not be that way without them. So the future is related to those visions whatsoever, cause things would have never been the same for anyone without them, but how is it related? All this to say the question doesn't really make sense (although I understand your point) because their visions would never have been the future without them and will they be the future is up to them...