FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Not Liking the Current Format of the Show

dfmir

[1]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 3

FlashForward has quickly become one of my favorite shows. They storylines, the acting, it's all, in my opinion, in the making for one fantastic six season-esque show. However there is no doubt the show has some issues (viewership, production shut down, etc.).

I wanted to call to the attention the way the show is formatted. The first scene is what we will later get to see, but it will actually make sense in context. Why don't we start from the start? I mean I guess they want to pull viewerership in for the full one hour, but I think it's somewhat stupid they do it.

How do you feel?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 32
    Do you mean start from when the Flashforwards officially occur and work their way back? While there's nothing wrong with that I prefer this current format as they're more potential pitfalls that could occur in the plot if the story is told in reverse especially one of this nature.

dfmir

[3]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 3
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Do you mean start from when the Flashforwards officially occur and work their way back? While there's nothing wrong with that I prefer this current format as they're more potential pitfalls that could occur in the plot if the story is told in reverse especially one of this nature.
    No, I'm talking about how at the start of the episode it is set twenty four hours into the future. The episode reaches the point of the start about three quarters in.
    Edited on 11/27/2009 10:48am

blikstG

[4]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    dfmir wrote:
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    No, I'm talking about how at the start of the episode it is set twenty four hours into the future. The episode reaches the point of the start about three quarters in.

I agree. It's a major pet peeve of mine. Bad movies do it all the time, and this show certainly don't benefit from it. If someone thinks it draws viewers in they are dead wrong in my opinion. Knowing what will happen later in the episode general don't create much suspense at all for me.

CharlesTheBold

[5]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 7
    It's called "in media res" (in the middle of things) and was invented by Homer when he wrote the Odyssey three thousand years ago. You start with the most dramatic scene and then back up to show how it happened. But it can be done well or done badly.

blikstG

[6]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 1

CharlesTheBold wrote:
    It's called "in media res" (in the middle of things) and was invented by Homer when he wrote the Odyssey three thousand years ago. You start with the most dramatic scene and then back up to show how it happened. But it can be done well or done badly.

Then I guess I've seen all the bad ones then. I guess it has to do with having the middle or ending revealed at the beginning of a story usually gives you to much information for my taste to be exciting. Take a common bad movie that uses this technique, like a action movie, that have a lot of shootings and dangerous events that are trying to create tension. How is it exciting if you already know that the characters you saw like 24 hours later will be in perfectly fine condition? And usually you can guess what events will lead up to the scene in the "in media res" (if that is how you say it), long before it happens. Then you are just sitting and waiting until you reach that point of the movie so something you don't know will happen... Probably for that reason I have much less trouble when you start out with something dramatic and then jump forward in time like "One year later" kind of thing and then slowly build up an understanding of what happened in the past.

Edited on 12/01/2009 2:11pm
    Edited 2 total times.