FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread: Better Angels (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/1/10 episode "Better Angels" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DarthFreeza

[2]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 23

Slightly above average episode.

A few nice twists in the plot. We even got a few answers (I was a bit disappointed to learn about Charlie's flashfoward).

I hope that Demetri doesn't turn out to be the father of Janice's unborn baby. I always thought it'd be Simon.

KingofIPirates

[3]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 32
    Decent episode overall; was largely mundane throughout, certain scenes were somewhat appealing but they were few and far in between. at the end and the prospect of Demitri being the father. Now I see how D.Gibbons seemingly stole the works of others before they published their works. Only major flaw in this theory is that there wouldn't be a way for him to obtain Simon's work as the towers were already invented when he went on a future-sight.

Burstrush

[4]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 8

I really like it now, at 1st i didnt knew were this show was going. But its really growing on me now.

To bad this episode hit the Flashforward's all time low on the ratings...... Just when u get hooked to a show....

News:

Flash Forward Producers most likely wished the ratings for the episode that aired on April 1th were an April Fools joke when they hit an All time low of 5.07 million viewers, a million less viewers then then last weeks 2 parter and a 60% decrease of the first episode that aired, with the news of some stars jumping ship to other shows it's becoming clear it will most likely not come back for a second season.

Source: http://www.tvrage.com/FlashForward/news/?read_news=5653

Edited on 04/03/2010 8:01am

zitzitta

[5]Apr 2, 2010
    I don't understant these low ratings. This episode was GREAT... whay were the rest of the people watching? Reality (i.e. stupid) shows? More of the same (i.e.sports?) Sheesh, I see IQ's dropping right and left! This show deserves to have much better ratings than what it's getting.

prison_lost

[6]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 5

I honestly think this episode was AWESOME!!! I just REALLY REAAALLY hope that Demetri isn't Wella's dad! Cuz I would really really hope he dies if he is.. I kind of thought it would be Simon, I would've liked that soooo much better!!!

And honestly, I would be very very very VERY disappointed if it didn't come back for another season!! Cuz it's really getting better with each episode!! Just when I'm starting to love it!!!

Jack146

[7]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 11

Burstrush wrote:
    Flash Forward Producers most likely wished the ratings for the episode that aired on April 1th were an April Fools joke when they hit an All time low of 5.07 million viewers, a million less viewers then then last weeks 2 parter and a 60% decrease of the first episode that aired, with the news of some stars jumping ship to other shows it's becoming clear it will most likely not come back for a second season.

Source: http://www.tvrage.com/FlashForward/news/?read_news=5653

I would say network created confusion is this show's biggest enemy and several networks are guilty of this. New shows come on and run for a month or two and then stop running for another month or two before returning. Some shows this has happened with are Lost, V, and Fringe. Seems they stop them just long enough for viewers to lose interest. Remember when almost every season finale ended with a real "cliff hanger"?

The problem was compounded with Flash Forward because right from the beginning it was obviously planned to build up to the episode set to air on 4/29/2010. With the three month hiatus, the timeline was broken and we are listening to dialogue that make no sense. For instance, we see Janis and Demetrius talking about a quick roll in the sack so she can be in her second trimester in just 4 weeks. I guess it will be a three month pregnancy.

TeaCake911

[8]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 6
    Blame the low ratings on the multi-month break, and the fact that it airs on a Thursday-- most people have been watching CSI, the GREAT new season of Survivor, and the Mentalist on CBS (highest rated channel for that night).

ummhaniyyah

[9]Apr 4, 2010

FlashForward is far more interesting than any of those shows. Tyranny of mediocrity though, I guess.

firlefanz10

[10]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 3

ummhaniyyah wrote:

FlashForward is far more interesting than any of those shows. Tyranny of mediocrity though, I guess.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Also it's much easier to just sit back and watch something without thinking you know.

TonyMX5

[11]Apr 8, 2010
    • level: 1
    Just read that Flashforward may not come back, it will not be a miss it is tedious.
    Too many story arcs that never look as if they will come back, just wish I had not watched the episodes so far as the show will not finish on a decent ending.

haldrey

[12]Apr 8, 2010
    • level: 22
    Great episode. I do not mind the low score but I do mind a lack of viewers, that can really take a toll on the show and I do not want it to be cancelled. The show is good and different. In this episode a lot of things happened that served to unify a lot of loose ends.

CharlesTheBold

[13]Apr 8, 2010
    • level: 7

TonyMX5 wrote:
    Just read that Flashforward may not come back, it will not be a miss it is tedious. Too many story arcs that never look as if they will come back, just wish I had not watched the episodes so far as the show will not finish on a decent ending.

Which story arcs are you talking about? As far as I can tell nearly all the story arcs have been followed up on since the hiatus: Aaron and his daughter, Keiko and Bryce, Dmitri and the missing gun, D. Gibbons, the towers in Somalia, Janice's baby obsession, the Olivia/Mark/Lloyd triangle. Those that haven't will probably come back in future weeks. I think the writers have done a very skillful job of keeping multiple storylines running.

As for declining ratings, serialized shows always run a risk: a new viewer may turn in, get hopelessly confused by references to past episodes, and decide not to watch again. Thus serialized shows seldom pick up new viewers, and in the meantime existing viewers may lose interest and go away. I first tuned into BUFFY in its sixth season and managed to grasp the storyline because of its skillful writing, but few other shows handle the problem that well.