FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread: Black Swan (Spoilers)

Sirius452

[1]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 10
    So, what did everyone think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

miss_wierd

[2]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 13

Awesome another great episode!!! Now who is that lady that Bryce drew? Was that the lady agent who saw herself pregnant in the fastforward? Oh wow!! So is he going to be the father of the baby?! Is that why he changed his mind about killing himself?!!?!! That Ned Ned guy, (NED NED! ROFL ROFL!) I was wondering why he would turn black in 6 months. Now I know. At the end of the episode, CHARLIE! OH so he and the man Olivia slept with in her flashforward are bad guys?!

Sirius452

[3]Oct 15, 2009

I think Bryce is going to be the baby's daddy too. So far, he's my favorite character.

I was much more interested in this episode than the last for some reason. The people are finally starting to converge and make decisions. Should get really good now.

antdude

[4]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 27
    Soso episode.

kbelliveau

[5]Oct 16, 2009
    This is probably the best episode of the show yet. They let of the silly mysteries that wont make sense in the long run anyway, and focused more on the people trying to work towards the future or trying to avoid. I liked the drama between Nicole and Mark. As well as Olivia not listening to Bryce. The best part of the episode was the last 2 minutes when LLoyd Simcoe got his phone call from Simon. Dominic Monaghan is the most experienced and best actor the show has in their cast. Im excited to see where they go with Simon. It should get exciting from here.

Chaos_Zombie

[6]Oct 16, 2009

kbelliveau wrote:
    This is probably the best episode of the show yet. They let of the silly mysteries that wont make sense in the long run anyway, and focused more on the people trying to work towards the future or trying to avoid. I liked the drama between Nicole and Mark. As well as Olivia not listening to Bryce. The best part of the episode was the last 2 minutes when LLoyd Simcoe got his phone call from Simon. Dominic Monaghan is the most experienced and best actor the show has in their cast. Im excited to see where they go with Simon. It should get exciting from here.

I agree about Dominic, and like I said in the other thread, I'm going to love his creepy character. I hated his character in Lost, far too annoying for me, but this works for him. It's a part I haven't really seen him play too.

As for the episode, I thought it wasn't as good as the others, maybe on par with the last, but it was stronger in character development. Despite the fact I hated Ned and his storyline I did enjoy watching Olivia struggle with Bryce and all. She's a great actress and did a good job showing her avoidance of Lloyd. I guess when it comes to this show I want to see more questions answered and more raised about its mythology. Much like Lost and Fringe, my favorite episodes of those shows are the ones that reveal things and keep you excited. I understand this was more about character development but I want to see them starting to figure this out and getting in hairy situations. No more drug busts and more about the rogue agent would be best.

kbelliveau

[7]Oct 16, 2009
    I think the introduction of Simon is the start of the explanation. Simon has the answers Mark Benford needs, and it will only be a matter of Episodes before he figures out who Simon is and what he is doing. I personally hope Simon stays for the long haul and he isnt just in it for say 5 or 6 episodes. From what I saw of Dominics performance last night I want this guy to be there for the entire length of the series.

Chaos_Zombie

[8]Oct 16, 2009

kbelliveau wrote:
    I think the introduction of Simon is the start of the explanation. Simon has the answers Mark Benford needs, and it will only be a matter of Episodes before he figures out who Simon is and what he is doing. I personally hope Simon stays for the long haul and he isnt just in it for say 5 or 6 episodes. From what I saw of Dominics performance last night I want this guy to be there for the entire length of the series.

Agreed. Hopefully Simon's appearance is the start of a lot of mythology centered episodes and things get rolling. The characters have been developed pretty well and now's the time before viewers lose interest.

Also, am I the only one that was hoping that Ned would die? Haha, it would've been far more interesting and rose a question on how the future can be altered. I guess it's way too early for that if the writers even want to go in that direction.

kbelliveau

[9]Oct 16, 2009
    Chaos_Zombie wrote:

kbelliveau wrote:

Agreed. Hopefully Simon's appearance is the start of a lot of mythology centered episodes and things get rolling. The characters have been developed pretty well and now's the time before viewers lose interest.

Also, am I the only one that was hoping that Ned would die? Haha, it would've been far more interesting and rose a question on how the future can be altered. I guess it's way too early for that if the writers even want to go in that direction.

I also twas hoping in a way Ned would die, it would give hope that Demetri wouldnt die. It would have created more doubt within the characters.

ummhaniyyah

[10]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 8

Joseph Fiennes and Sonia Walford are actually more experienced actors than Dominic Monaghan. They've been at it longer and at least in the case of Joseph have done quite a bit of film work.

All three are actually British actors (Joseph and Sonia are "doing" American accents). The actor who plays Aaron, Mark's sponsor is Irish (also "doing" an American accent).

kbelliveau wrote:

ummhaniyyah

[11]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 8

Sirius452 wrote:
    So, what did everyone think?

I really enjoyed this episode.

So, far it really does seem as if the future is fated and can't be altered. If that's the case, out goes my theory that people like Demetri who didn't have a Flash Forward may actually be able to change their futures.

This is a show based on suspense, so of course, lots of obvious questions are going unasked. For example, what was the blond prisoner's flash forward? What did Olivia and Mark's daughter see? If for no other reason than insuring her safety, I'd want to know if she were my kid.

BTW, I don't believe that she was directly involved in the Flash Forward event, otherwise it's doubtful that she would have put herself in a moving car when they occurred, but she seems as if she may have some knowledge of them - have heard chatter about them. In which case, if this were reality, it would be possible to find out what dodgy types like herself know/knew about the event.

Also, without going to Somalia, Mark would be able to investigate large shipments to the part of Somalia of interest. True, he doesnt' really know what he is looking for, but since the first Flash Forward event seems to have happened in an isolated area it would be fair to assume that something (materials, drugs, equipment...) could have been brought into the area to produce it.

I'm curious about who "Celia", the name the IT agent was searching Mosaic for is and her part in the plot. Funny that that one search pulled up only a handful of accounts on Mosaic, since I'd bet that there are thousands of Celias in the US, much less the world.

And yes, in response, to another post, hypnosis would help Mark be able to focus on the board and pull out all of its clues, but then, we wouldn't have much of a show.

kbelliveau

[12]Oct 16, 2009
    ummhaniyyah wrote:

Joseph Fiennes and Sonia Walford are actually more experienced actors than Dominic Monaghan. They've been at it longer and at least in the case of Joseph have done quite a bit of film work.

All three are actually British actors (Joseph and Sonia are "doing" American accents). The actor who plays Aaron, Mark's sponsor is Irish (also "doing" an American accent).

kbelliveau wrote:

Fiennes was mostly in Theatre based production until this point. I have never heard of Sonya Walger until this series. I know Fiennes is british. Dominic to me in this series is the best they have. Nothing against Fiennes or Walger, I respect the effort that they have both given. I also respect the career Joeseph Fiennes has had until this point, but I am sticking with what I said. Dominic is the most experienced actor they have in the cast as far as variety is concerned.

KingofIPirates

[13]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 32
    Found this to be a mediocre episode overall, Apart from a few interesting scenes the plot for the most part felt relatively mundane if not cliche'd.

ypomoni

[14]Oct 16, 2009

What I really liked about this episode was the polarized effect. Ned and Bryce are both in a happier place due to their flash forward visions. Granted, Ned Ned had a medical condition that stopped the production of specific hormones thus making him calmer, but still his confidence in a "better future" contributed to that. Whereas Bryce and Ned are more serene, others are crumbling under the weight of what they saw.

Olivia got on my nerves this time. She got all the glory for spotting Addison's disease - grrr!! If I were Bryce I'd be furious! All her attempts to overcome making the future a possibility (not believing in Ned's pigmentation change, trying to distance herself from Simcoe by sending his son to another department), seem to come back as a slap in the face. She must be asking herself right about now if there is truly no escaping "fate".

Simcoe did have the same vision as Olivia! And yet he is tied to the blackout?! Interesting! His reaction to the phone call in the flash forward was similar to that of the phone call from Simon. Most likely it's Simon calling him in the flash forward. Simcoe didn't appear to be overly enthusiastic about his involvement with Simon. Is he, perhaps, being coerced into doing something he really doesn't wanna do? What exactly is his line of work?

I chuckled when Olivia told Mark he was the Shakespeare of cheesy dad humour (Joseph Fiennes' world-wide break-out success was Shakespeare in Love, where he played the bard himself).

The woman in lockup (I forget her name) is a mystery. She seems to know nothing, and then she appears to know an awful lot - I wonder what really is her role in all of this. The point she raised - of WHY the black-out occurred - is intriguing. There is a purpose to all of this, but what could it be? I can't say I like the acting of the actress portraying her. Some of her mannerisms seem a bit over the top for me.

The Celia part was also interesting. Whoever (or whatever) Celia is, the agent wanted to keep it a secret from Mark.

Looking forward to the next episode and to seeing more of Simon!

Edited on 10/16/2009 3:44pm
    Edited 3 total times.

FPoBA

[15]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 6
    I'm really annoyed with the way they're shifting the focus on Simcoe and now Simon. Just when you thought Simcoe is a good guy and sort of ok him for sleeping around with Mark's wife, nope he's a bad guy. Also I hated Charlie on Lost and now he's back. He made it sound like what they'd done is an accident. Blah.
    I'd rather them focus on Alda, crows and the mystery woman in HK that phoned Demetri, Celia .... That in my mind is more of a conspiracy appeal than two british gits setting off some bomb or whatever they'd done.
    Olivia was really annoying in this ep. and I hate Zoey, Demetris gf, they should kill her off not him. Every time I see that smerk on her face, yuck. Poor acting by both anyway.
    Atleast they're still trying to keep up with ff's coming true the way they're suppose to.
    Also the drowning of lame babysitter, I can see it unfold something like this. Simcoe is banging Olivia, Nicole must be at home. Simon is pissed off at Simcoe for some reason so he decides to pay them a visit. Nicole's just a collateral damage before he proceeds on killing the rest of them. Probably killing Simcoe with Mark coming just in time to kill Simon and rescue the rest of his family and all of them live happily ever after.
    Either way I found this episode dragging on ... I hope there'll be more action soon.

ypomoni

[16]Oct 17, 2009
    FPoBA, your theory for Nicole's drowning is plausible, but it has one small problem - The visions of the future are tied to intense emotions. Nicole felt as though she had done something to deserve the drowning, enough so to go and find ways for atonement of an action she hasn't yet committed. Collateral damage seems unlikely at this point.

copygeek

[17]Oct 19, 2009
    ypomoni wrote:
    FPoBA, your theory for Nicole's drowning is plausible, but it has one small problem - The visions of the future are tied to intense emotions. Nicole felt as though she had done something to deserve the drowning, enough so to go and find ways for atonement of an action she hasn't yet committed. Collateral damage seems unlikely at this point.
    I don't know why, but I had a strange feeling that Nicole was being drowned by the priest that she went to talk to about volunteering. It seemed like the person drowning her was wearing black, and something just seemed fishy about the priest, to me. Maybe she ends up having an affair with the priest, or something, and he kills her to prevent her telling people and getting him fired/excommunicated.