FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread: Playing Cards With Coyote (Spoilers)

OnePerCentClub

[1]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 35

Please discuss here the episode 'Playing Cards with Coyote', airing next Thursday November 12th.

Do not discuss other episodes here.

Thanks!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rucook

[2]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 2

This episode was a bit "slow" for me, but was still interesting as it developed more on Aaron/Tracy. Apparently, they found Celia somehow and you still wonder if Al's death is going to change her future - or is it going to make her a target by those who caused the blackout?????

We learn more about what happened with Aaron's daughter and why she had not gotten in touch with her Dad, plus that is why her DNA was in the exhumed grave - from just her leg! Then you can sense Mark's wondering about his flashforward since it appears that Aaron's is coming true.

The card game was sort of cool because Simon thought he had it in the bag and then Lloyd won the game. BUT, it makes you wonder if they are really going to make the reason for the blackout public OR is Simon going to prevent that????

The storyline with the lady from the bird store was interesting. Mark believes that he has killed the man with the three stars that was in his flashforward, but OH NO, there were a ton of them in the final few minutes!! Okay so did the rings protect those during the blackout and is that the ring that was seen in the enhanced photo from the ball field. Hopefully next week will fill in a bit of those questions!

Chaos_Zombie

[3]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 10

I liked the episode too though the card game seemed out of place. I was confused as to why Simon thought he had the game in the bag and was so confident. Didn't seem like there was any other reason other than cockiness. Also turns out that Simon isn't really a powerful sort of bad guy if he can't stop Lloyd from going public. He's just more of a kooky scientist with a God complex. I have liked every scene he's been in though which is more than I can say about Charlie from Lost.

I knew there'd be more guys with those tattoos and I'm surprised no one at the FBI has thought of that. Also, maybe they are that Jericho division? Seems like that would tie in pretty well. Aaron's story got interesting but it seems to me they skipped the whole part where the daughter and him would be overjoyed to see each other again. Either that or she doesn't care she's back home after nearly being killed? I like how Olivia is trying everything she can to avoid her future and Mark is as well. That leads me to believe the future won't happen that way for at least those two characters.

Last thought, those rings must've definitely protected a few people from the blackout. I wonder why that guy at the end shot one of the mercenaries and none of the others came though. And why that guy? Did he mess up or was he just unfortunate enough to bring the rings to him? And who is he? Simon mentioned someone higher up named 'Miles' I think when he was saying Lloyd will never be able to go public without Miles' help.

Lots of questions but overall a strong episode and I like that they are delving into the mythology more and more. They need to if the show is going to survive.

CharlesTheBold

[4]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 7
    Chaos_Zombie wrote:

Aaron's story got interesting but it seems to me they skipped the whole part where the daughter and him would be overjoyed to see each other again. Either that or she doesn't care she's back home after nearly being killed?.

I think they're trying to make her look withdrawn and half crazy, so we won't know whether she is really being stalked or is suffering from paranoia.

jimman1

[5]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 4
    I enjoyed the episode, and the first thing I thought was there is more than 1 guy with those tats. It`s nice to see "Ruby" from Supernatural again. She is playing the character well. Can`t wait to find out more about those rings and who the that dude at the end is. Why did he shoot the person carrying the rings?!?! That always seems to happen to people in shows like this. Makes me wonder why they are loyal when they can get killed just by being the messenger.

krussell47

[6]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 12
    Nice episode. Now we know that Mark hasn't changed anything about his future yet, since there is more than one guy with the three star tattoo. I am thinking that these guys could possibly be Jericho guys (the ones that attached Tracy). It would tie everything together. I can't wait for the big reveal about what exactly caused the blackouts, but I don't think it will come that quickly. The card game was a nice touch to wager on telling the truth, but do you honestly think that is going to happen? I can't believe the would reveal the cause this quickly in the show. I am really enjoying everything that is going on so far and can't wait for more.

ummhaniyyah

[7]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 8

Mmm, I like FlashForward a lot, but there were many stupid - though maybe understandable elements in this episode.

TATTOOED MAN

Why assume there is only one tattoed man. Come on, Mark! Wishful thinking aside (would be hard to push aside for this character) very stupid.

TRACEY

So many implausibilities in her story. Mercenaries don't check to make sure everyone or at least Tracey is dead after the humvee is struck. The Afghan medic gets to her before the military comes to retrieve the vehicle and remains. He is able to nurse her back to health with what could only be rudimentary supplies and skills (did everyone see her wound?), she - a white American woman with one leg - is able to stay under the radar in Afghanistan for two years, she is able to get back to Los Angeles on her own (in other words without military of government help), and she hides out at her father's house because that wouldn't be the first place they'd look if they even suspected she was alive???? And we have no reason to suspect that Tracey has any kind of special training.

I think the writers should have gone with some sort of Tracey as covert operative story.

Aaron didn't even warn Mark about digging around Jericho.

GUY AT THE END WHO GETS SHOT BY MYSTERIOUS MAN

I think he was the guy at the baseball stadium. He looked like that guy. He's expendable now because 1) he knows too much and 2) because FBI, NSA and who knows what other agencies are looking for him.

RINGS

One of the rings is gone. Is Simon wearing it? I vaguely remember him wearing jewelry.

SIMON AND LLOYD PLAY POKER

Simon and Lloyd poker storyline: Huh? Why would Lloyd think that Simon who is an ambitious, meglamaniacal guy would actually stop at poker (and a game he cheated at, too). Why doesn't he see that their secret is worth killing over - maybe Simon wouldn't kill Lloyd himself (or threaten his son) but guys like Mr. Pudgy wouldn't hesitate.

He is stupid if he is waiting for some sort of grand press conference to announce their experiment. The information is just too hot and too dangerous. He should leak the info to a government agency. I feel like yelling STUPID at this point.

MYHILL

Myhill (not Miles) is apparently another scientist on Simcoe and Simon's team. They worked together to pull off the FlashForward experiment.

DETERMINISM VS CHOICE

Thought this debate between Simon and Simcoe pretty interesting. Even though they were the authors of the experiment they, like everyone else in the world have not decided on its result.

INGRID

They are going to have to find something else for Ingrid to do in witness protection since she has already told her clerk and who knows who else about her FlashForward.

This goes back to what the Blue Hander said in the last episode about Mosaic being their best recruitment tool.

JERICHO

The show seems to be setting up some kind of relationship/conspiracy between Jericho (that's who I think the guys with the star tattoos are) and A) the government B)whoever mysterious pudgy man represents C) the scientists (with the exception of Simcoe) who created the FlashForward project.

haldrey

[8]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 22
    Wow, above is Flashforward dissected.

mude

[9]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 15
    Nice review ummhaniyyah, couldn't have said it better myself. At this point Iam just going along for the ride because of guilty pleasure. I think the writers may have prematurely written themselves into a corner.

KingofIPirates

[10]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    Decent episode overall, sure there were a few slow scenes but it remained interesting for the most part throughout.
    "]
    ummhaniyyah wrote:
    she - a white American woman with one leg - is able to stay under the radar in Afghanistan for two years,
    She doesn't really look white anyway so she could pass, plus women in those areas tend to be covered from head to toe so it wouldn't really be that difficult
    Edited on 11/13/2009 3:15pm

holgatej77

[12]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 6
    Rucook, nice questions posed, but I agree with someone who I think made a post about last week's episode that was like, why are these people just now figuring out that the flashforward was just a glimpse of what could happen in the future & that the future CAN be changed? I would assume that most of these characters saw Back to the Future III 1. Whether or not Lloyd gets to go public with the information he has: This will completely change the direction of the show. The FBI team will go from trying to find out what & who caused the blackouts/trying to prevent them from happening again, to trying to take down the people who did it. And what if it was just a complex experiment gone horribly wrong? How much blame should they really be given. 2. The guys with the 3 starred tattoos on their arms: I think it can be safely assumed these are the Blackwater, er Jericho guys Aaron's daughter was talking about. (I'm also a bit surprised no-one from the FBI failed to think that there could be more than one person with a tattoo like that out there. I'm hoping Aaron tells Mark about Jericho & he puts it together, but I'm not holding my breath.) I also have a bit of a problem with this story line. From what it sounds like, she found out that they were wiping out villages (for argument's sake, let's say it was to blame it on the military & provide fodder for the Taliban & thus extend the war.) So they set her up by luring her and others out to the middle of nowhere so they could be executed, but the problem is they weren't. Her friend escaped and so did she. If they were really trying to kill her (and went to that length to do so) one of them would have put a bullet in her head. But I'm willing to suspend disbelief cause other than that, the story line is cool. 3. I believe the rings DID protect those who were wearing them during the blackout, but there's seven of them. We kind of sort of know about two or three of the people. What about the rest? 4. I agree that the poker scene was pretty much pointless (probably just filler, it seemed like they were trying to insert something James Bond-esque in for no apparent reason.) Lloyd is pretty foolish if he thinks whoever they work for is just going to let everyone know what happened. Lloyd should give that info to Mark.

doctorWHO69

[13]Nov 17, 2009
    • level: 13
    I thought,that when we saw the flashforward of Nicole being drowned,it looked a lot like Simon doing it. I was confused at 1st wether it was Simons' flashforward or Nicoles',but the way it was edited it looked as if they were both thinking about it,so i do believe it is Simon who is trying to/does kill her

bogvisir

[14]Nov 17, 2009
    • level: 3

Stanford has a pretty big ring on when Janis shows him the footage of the guy with the ring...

NathanielSouthw

[15]Nov 23, 2009
    • level: 2
    bogvisir wrote:

Stanford has a pretty big ring on when Janis shows him the footage of the guy with the ring...

Woah! I'm not the only one who was thinking that then!