FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread: Scary Monsters And Super Creeps (Spoilers)

OnePerCentClub

[1]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 35

Please discuss the episode 'Scary Monsters and Super Creeps', airing next Thursday October 29th.

Do not discuss other episodes here.

Thanks!

Edited on 10/27/2009 10:27pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sirius452

[2]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 10
    That was a pretty decent episode. I felt so bad for the poor kid, how awkward was that? Mark and Olivia are going to bring about their own flashforwards it seems. We got a peek of Simon too. They kind of implied that Lloyd didn't think that many people would die or at least feels bad. I wonder it they are just a group of mad scientists or what? The next episode looks like it will answer some questions, should be really good.

jrosace92

[3]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 7
    it was an alright episode, glad we got to see a glimpse of what the kids saw, there has to be something else to charlies FF because of that d gibbons comment

CharlesTheBold

[4]Oct 29, 2009

The collision between the Simcos and the Bentfords was the most dramatic scene in the series so far, particularly because they are unconciously driving themselves toward the situation in the visions, in a vicious circle. The crackup of their marriage is probably what will drive Olivia to adultery and Mark to drink.

The Dmitri subplot is less satisfactory. Dmitri is carrying out a personal investigation without being assigned to it; he certainly doesn't have a search warrant, but he feels free to kick in a door? Don't they teach fictional FBI agents (or writers) about proper police procedure?

Chaos_Zombie

[5]Oct 29, 2009

It wasn't the worst episode, not the best either. The most interesting bit was probably everything with Simon at the beginning. I listened to his 'little kitten in a hand' quantam mechanics theory a couple times but still am not sure I understand what he was getting at. I'm sure it has some significance. Interesting to find Lloyd working with the bad guys and I wonder how much truth there is to what Simon said about that girl (or humanity in general) being why the FlashForward happened. I'm sure there's some underlying philosophy behind the group who triggered the blackout to either change humanity, prove a point, or teach everyone a lesson.

The whole scene with the Benfords and Simcoe's was good, but I think Mark and Olivia are behaving a little immaturely. I'm glad Mark confessed about drinking because I was going to be REALLY upset if he lied. Still, I'm surprised both characters are so quick to judge each other and aren't willing to talk it out like adults and be all that much more sound in not letting the future happen. It's almost like they are giving up. Hopefully that's just because of the stress of the situation and not because the writers want to drag this out.

Another kangaroo sighting too and the interview on tv.com says it does have some significance to the show.

adamantius

[6]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 4
    I was very impressed by the Schrodinger's cat explanation. The blond stated that the cat has already made up its mind because it is the observer. Most people who describe it state that the scientist is the one who makes the observation and the event occurs at that point. Kudos to the writers on that one.

A

kbelliveau

[7]Oct 30, 2009
    I thought this was the best episode yet. The way Simon explained his Flash Forward, was brilliant. Creepy, but the acting by Monaghan was simply amazing. Also Fiennes didnt look so lost with his character. I think he is going to settle in. Also I was impressed by the whole Janis arch, along with Demetris part of the story. The episode next week is going to be the bes. It looks amazing. I am really getting into this show, It is getting better and better

haldrey

[8]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 22
    I kike it but I guess that all the shows are jumping in the halloween wagon and taking a break from the season storyline or at least a detour.

KingofIPirates

[9]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 32
    Pretty good episode overall, had a relatively slow start but picked up as it went on. Also had one or two amusing scenes and the confrontation between Mark and Lloyd was particularly well done.

Sugar2U

[10]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 9
    [QUOTE="Chaos_Zombie"]

It wasn't the worst episode, not the best either. The most interesting bit was probably everything with Simon at the beginning. I listened to his 'little kitten in a hand' quantam mechanics theory a couple times but still am not sure I understand what he was getting at. I'm sure it has some significance. Interesting to find Lloyd working with the bad guys and I wonder how much truth there is to what Simon said about that girl (or humanity in general) being why the FlashForward happened. I'm sure there's some underlying philosophy behind the group who triggered the blackout to either change humanity, prove a point, or teach everyone a lesson.

I have heard that before. (I think it may have been on Fringe or some sci fi show possibly Sanctuary.. ) Because you cannot see the effect of what happened to the cat it is both "alive and dead" at the same time. I dont really understand the point in this show however...Did Simon kill the girl on the train? I cannot remember did we hear what Lloyd does? AND finally since Lloyd had a flashforward who was the guy 'awake' in the stadium?

Chaos_Zombie

[11]Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, Simon is obviously not Suspect Zero. It is interesting to see we still haven't met him or D. Gibbons yet.

I also agree that the scene between the Benford's and Simcoe's was very well done. The tension was perfect, built up with anticipation as the viewer knew where it was going, and it played out pretty believably. Mark's character wasn't as annoying this time though Olivia started to be at the very end. I still don't like how it's as if neither is even trying and are giving in to their flashforward.

DarthFreeza

[12]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 23

Aside from the Mark vs Olivia vs Lloid scenes (which were very well done) this episode was pretty decent I'd say.

The Demetri plot had it's moments but failed to hold my intrest the way the plot with Mark, Olivia, and Lloid did.

Simon in the beginning was pretty interesting and the way he told that woman about his flashfoward was very cryptic. Well done

ocean58

[13]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 53
    The cat being dead or alive is called the superposition principle in quantum mechanics. As I understand from reading in Wiki it defines all possible (=multiple) states that an object can have. This must have something to do with the flash forwards, being at present and future at the same time. So maybe Simon and Lloyd were experimenting about that, if someone can see his future.
    Simon did not kill the girl in the train, he was killing a man in his FF. Although he was telling his FF, I am not that sure if he had one, he might have imagined that story, when he was talking.
    We saw Dylan's FF and are sure about, why Dylan and Charlie know each other. Olivia's astonishment, when coming home, was played very well an d was one of the best parts in this episode. Lloyd knowing now, that Olivia is the She, is he going to act now to come closer to her?
    Blue Hand and Rutherford case are cliffhangers for next episodes. Finally the Beatles Song "Across The Universe" was telling what is going to happen in the future: Nothing's gonna change my world.

fhreak

[14]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 3
    one quick question. The guy in the bus who talks to the kid, isn't that Orlando Bloom? It sure looks like him

ummhaniyyah

[15]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 8
    Sirius452 wrote:
    That was a pretty decent episode. I felt so bad for the poor kid, how awkward was that? Mark and Olivia are going to bring about their own flashforwards it seems. We got a peek of Simon too. They kind of implied that Lloyd didn't think that many people would die or at least feels bad. I wonder it they are just a group of mad scientists or what? The next episode looks like it will answer some questions, should be really good.

If the first run at the flash forward experiment was in Somalia then likely no one died then. But it should have been easy enough to anticipate deaths when it was run on a large scale.

ummhaniyyah

[16]Oct 30, 2009
    [QUOTE="Sugar2U"]
    Chaos_Zombie wrote:

I have heard that before. (I think it may have been on Fringe or some sci fi show possibly Sanctuary.. ) Because you cannot see the effect of what happened to the cat it is both "alive and dead" at the same time. I dont really understand the point in this show however...Did Simon kill the girl on the train? I cannot remember did we hear what Lloyd does? AND finally since Lloyd had a flashforward who was the guy 'awake' in the stadium?

I understand Schrodinger's cat and the double slit experiment generally but don't understand their relevance in the context of the show. The"point" of both is that "how things turn out" seems to depend on whether there is an "observer" or not. In the case of the double slit experiment researchers use particles that pass through a double slit causing a pattern to develop on a screen beyond them. The presence of an observer (I believe in the experiment this is some kind of sensor) changes the "behavior" of the particles and therefore the patterns produced.

There is an observer to the flash forward experiment - the guy in the stadium. But I'm not sure how that may have changed what happened - if that is what Simon is even getting at. Of course the observer may not even be a person.

But no idea - and the writers may not have a good idea about this either and just be throwing out some scientific theory that will sound suitably mysterious.

ummhaniyyah

[17]Oct 30, 2009
    And yes, Fringe messes about with quantum physics as well.

jrosace92

[18]Oct 30, 2009
    fhreak wrote:
    one quick question. The guy in the bus who talks to the kid, isn't that Orlando Bloom? It sure looks like him

yea that was my first instinct when i saw him to, but they're not just gonna put a big name movie actor in such a small part, it doesnt make sense, so that was not him, it just looked a lot like him.

Chaos_Zombie

[19]Oct 30, 2009

Hah, yeah, at first it looked like Orlando Bloom but the second he opened his mouth I knew it wasn't him. Sounds nothing like him and on closer inspection it definitely wasn't him.

I understand the quantam thing but I also wonder what significance it has to what happened. See, raising questions and getting our curiousity is what the writers and this show do best. Now they just need to amp it up and keep feeding us more mythology every episode instead of drama.

brain_9h

[20]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 4
    They used Schrodinger's cat to show how you can use one the interpretations of the problem to "prove" (big quotes here) that consciousness always lives in some reality, there is always some universe where you don't die (just like the cat... but if you ARE the cat both dead AND alive until the moment the particle decays, or he box is opened. When it happens, the universes are split in 2, you (cat) will die in one and live on the other, but your consciouness of course will live on in the universe where it doesn't die. So from your (the cat) counciousness point of view, as proved by bogus indution, you never die). And they used this story to show how Janis survived.

Bogus science apart, I think the episode was great. I loved Janis drama, as well as the olive and her two husbands scene. I think the bad guys are probably a group of scientists who saw a natural phenomena some years ago in somalia and decided to study it. Having their funding rejected they probably, lead by Simon, found some "shady" funders and carried on. Now the funders (chinese?) see the experiment as a weapon, and the scientists are being somehow pressed, and that's why Simon is after Lloyd.

That's probably why they are not afraid -- yet. The scientist have nothing to fear because the bad guys won't kill them, they are valuable. Remember how lloyd had no family? After the flashforwads this has changed, he lives with his son and soon enough with olivia and her kid. The bad guys will know this eventually and thats how the little kid will be kidnapped by D. Gibbons.