FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread: Scary Monsters And Super Creeps (Spoilers)

Sirius452

[21]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 10

ummhaniyyah wrote:
    Sirius452 wrote:
    That was a pretty decent episode. I felt so bad for the poor kid, how awkward was that? Mark and Olivia are going to bring about their own flashforwards it seems. We got a peek of Simon too. They kind of implied that Lloyd didn't think that many people would die or at least feels bad. I wonder it they are just a group of mad scientists or what? The next episode looks like it will answer some questions, should be really good.
    If the first run at the flash forward experiment was in Somalia then likely no one died then. But it should have been easy enough to anticipate deaths when it was run on a large scale.

Yes, you'd think scientists would see that coming.

[QUOTE="ummhaniyyah"]

Sugar2U wrote:
    Chaos_Zombie wrote:

It wasn't the worst episode, not the best either. The most interesting bit was probably everything with Simon at the beginning. I listened to his 'little kitten in a hand' quantam mechanics theory a couple times but still am not sure I understand what he was getting at. I'm sure it has some significance. Interesting to find Lloyd working with the bad guys and I wonder how much truth there is to what Simon said about that girl (or humanity in general) being why the FlashForward happened. I'm sure there's some underlying philosophy behind the group who triggered the blackout to either change humanity, prove a point, or teach everyone a lesson.

I have heard that before. (I think it may have been on Fringe or some sci fi show possibly Sanctuary.. ) Because you cannot see the effect of what happened to the cat it is both "alive and dead" at the same time. I dont really understand the point in this show however...Did Simon kill the girl on the train? I cannot remember did we hear what Lloyd does? AND finally since Lloyd had a flashforward who was the guy 'awake' in the stadium?

I understand Schrodinger's cat and the double slit experiment generally but don't understand their relevance in the context of the show. The"point" of both is that "how things turn out" seems to depend on whether there is an "observer" or not. In the case of the double slit experiment researchers use particles that pass through a double slit causing a pattern to develop on a screen beyond them. The presence of an observer (I believe in the experiment this is some kind of sensor) changes the "behavior" of the particles and therefore the patterns produced.

There is an observer to the flash forward experiment - the guy in the stadium. But I'm not sure how that may have changed what happened - if that is what Simon is even getting at. Of course the observer may not even be a person.

But no idea - and the writers may not have a good idea about this either and just be throwing out some scientific theory that will sound suitably mysterious.

The whole thing is kind of like asking if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? There are a couple ways that I can think of that Simon might be talking about. One: Simon and his colleagues access information about some future secret event that is coming. They want humanity to hear the sound, to observe before it's too late. Two: Simon considers the flashforward experiment to be 'opening the box'. Before, the future could be thought of as both alive and dead. Now it is observed.

The first thing I thought of when he mentioned both experiments was the Big Bang Theory.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DarthFreeza

[22]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 23
    Sirius452 wrote:

The first thing I thought of when he mentioned both experiments was the Big Bang Theory.

Same here

miss_wierd

[23]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 13
    When Simon was talking to that blonde lady I didn't pay attention to what he was saying to her because the FBI chick was being worked on in the hospital. So that guy that Olivia was sleeping with in her flashforward, lives there with his son!!!!!!! In the flashforward! WOW! So in Olivia's flashforward she didn't cheat on her husband. They have trust issues so they break up so she goes with that guy!!! So that is how it's going to happen huh? And that FBI chick can't have children now! Well, at least she thinks so!!!! Later on, SURPRISE!

Locutus-of-Borg

[24]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 19
    CharlesTheBold wrote:

Dmitri is carrying out a personal investigation without being assigned to it; he certainly doesn't have a search warrant, but he feels free to kick in a door? Don't they teach fictional FBI agents (or writers) about proper police procedure?

The blood pool on the deck and on the dooor knob is probable cause. when a LEO has probable cause he does not need a warrent to go thru a door

ypomoni

[25]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 13

I really liked this episode. I too don't know the real significance to the mentioning of Schroedinger's cat - I hope this is clarified soon. Some theories thrown around here do seem very plausible.

As for the scientists not anticipating deaths during the flash forwards, maybe not all of them had realise the magnitude of it's effect. Incorrect initial calculations can often lead to to catastrophic results, even at the highest level of science (remember NASA's mission to mars which completely missed the planet, due to the use of different measurement systems?). It seems unlikely to me that a project that could cause such an effect is rogue; it would need substantial funding - was Simon really able to fund it himself? Who is behind it?

Speaking of animals, the roo is still on the loose! LMAO! I wonder what it signifies?

Janis' storyline was nicely done in this episode. I wonder how what happened to her effects the outcome of her FF - will she miraculously be able to conceive (highly unlikely) or has the attack altered things? And if the later is the case, then can we assume the attack was not suppose to happen and therefore may have altered the FF reality of some others too?

Dimitri's storyline needs a bit of jolt; I'm actually loosing interest in it.

The guy on the bus really spooked me out. I thought he was going to do something bad to Dylan at first! Was he a nice guy afterall?

The scene with Mark, Simcoe and Olivia was excellent! The look on all of their faces! Simcoe, just realising who the woman in his FF really is! I wonder if we will see a role reversal here - Simcoe now backing away from Olivia (she is married) while Olivia reaches out to him. I didn't like how the episode ended between Mark and Olivia. I agree with a previous poster, that both of them are acting a bit immature. At least Mark finally told the truth about his FF.

I need to see Simcoe's FF again. You can clearly hear the kids laughing in the background, but when we get a glimpse of their FF they are at the cookie jar. Maybe that's only a fragment of their FF - I mean, how would Charlie know D Gibbons is a bad man if it wasn't part of her FF?? Can't wait for the next episode!

Edited on 11/01/2009 1:39pm

edgar2007perez

[26]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 4

i never heard about the Schroedinger's cat i understanded the two outcome that the cat is alive and dead to choose if the cat lives or dies. My best guess is the flashforward is the observer and the people are the cat. Is all about if their flashforward is good or bad and they will act according to it either to live or be dead to end their future becasue they really don't want that future.

Is difficult to see if it change or not the present and future there is nothing to say their present didn't or did happend in the futrure. Janis has trouble to get pregnant because of the attacks and in the future she might be worry about her baby condition and when the doctor told her, is a healthy girl or boy i forgot, Janis was very happy because of what happend to her when she was attacked and after all she had a healthy baby. This might mean the future Janis was attack and the attack happen in both time the present Janis and future Janis.

I think Lloyd thought it will be more casualtie than death but he got surprise the death rate and he is trying to retired becase of it and his flashforward he was with Olivia and possible D.Gibbons was trying to pull him in and he argue and Charlie might heard them before entering the kitchen and the "beginning" of her flash forward.I think it show a portion of the Charlie flashforward and not the full flashforward becase Charlie know about D.Gibbons and says he is a bad man. To keep it more interesting there only showing us a little of the flashforward.

Now is a little more clear of the kids flashforward my guess is Lloyd was talking to D.Gibbons on the phone and Charlie might heard the conversation she judge D.Gibbon of what she heard and then she went to the kitchen and there was the Lloyd son.

hope it gets better

adamantius

[27]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 4
    I think Simon might be saying something simpler. All the world was on a certain trajectory in time. As soon as a certain point in time was observed, it changed the trajectory. Now, everyone is on a different path than they were before.

A

Geri12

[28]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 1

adamantius wrote:
    I think Simon might be saying something simpler. All the world was on a certain trajectory in time. As soon as a certain point in time was observed, it changed the trajectory. Now, everyone is on a different path than they were before. A

After watching last week's episode, I had to look up Schroedinger's cat online. And while I can't say it was easy for me to understand, I have to agree with your explanation. I do think Simon was saying that in quantum physics all possible outcomes are possible at any given time, the cat can be dead or alive. And until you open your hand, you won't know which. I see the flash forwards as opening the hand to get a glimpse of one possible outcome. Now that people have seen this outcome, it will likely skew their future. People can no longer be sure they followed a certain course because of free will or because they saw it in their flash forward.

Sugar2U

[29]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 9
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Sirius452 wrote:

Same here

YA I thought that Sheldon and the gang could write alot on this episode. lol