FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread: The Gift (Spoilers)

OnePerCentClub

[1]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 35

Please discuss here the episode 'The Gift', airing next Thursday November 5th.

Do not discuss other episodes here.

Thanks!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyangel4evr_

[2]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 20
    I'm extremely excited for the episode tonight. One of my favorite actors, Callum Keith Rennie, is guest starring. (Harper's Island fans will remember him as the awesome psycho killer John Wakefield)

historylover20

[3]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 28

I liked Al! Ahh...

I was wondering if someone would try to change the future. I always thought it would be Demetri.

At least we know the future can be changed here.

Kat

KingofIPirates

[4]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 32
    A subpar episode overall, was rather dull and mundane throughout. There was little if any moments that were captivating or even intriguing except for the final scene at the end when Al kills himself.

Sirius452

[5]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 10
    Kudos to that guy for showing some initiative. So, now we know the future isn't written in stone. I didn't expect the daughter to just show up. Alot of answers in this one. Wasn't a terribly exciting episode, but I did like the Russian Roulette scene.

CharlesTheBold

[6]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 7

A wonderful episode that has the courage to dramatize philosophy instead of crude action. The theme is how everybody reacts to fate: the Blue Hand people give in to fatalism, while ironically Gough kills himself to THWART fate. Dmitri and Aaron both find themselves with two inconsistent courses of events: somebody is both dead and alive (which, in turn, fits in with the Schrodinger's Cat reference in the previous episode).

Question: before the episode was even broadcast, TVCOM was showing 18 bogus votes giving a low score in the 5.0 - 6.0. Are thos bogus votes still there poisoning the calculations? Somebody at TVCOM really needs to look into this, because otherwise their rating system will lose all credibility. Or maybe they should reset the votes to 0 once the episode finishes, and start the real count.

miss_wierd

[7]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 13

Aaron: The guy who tells him that his daughter died because he watched her die. What an idiot!!! You didn't even take her pulse!!! Her pulse could have been weak idiot! But woah! She showed up!!!!!

The FBI agent who killed himself: Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Great epsiode! Very interesting with the ghost club. I am glad Dimitri finally told his fiance his fate.

KingofIPirates

[8]Nov 5, 2009
    CharlesTheBold wrote:
    was even broadcast, TVCOM was showing 18 bogus votes giving a low score in the 5.0 - 6.0. Are thos bogus votes still there poisoning the calculations? Somebody at TVCOM really needs to look into this, because otherwise their rating system will lose all credibility.
    The rating system has already lost credibility, this has been going on for quite a long time.

Killer1One

[9]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 12
    Except for Demetri's Girlfriend whos gotta be the worse actress i have ever seen i actually liked this episode a lot. The realistic part of me wanted that somebody grabbed al's foot or something. The sci-fi part of me was waiting for Al to comeback from the death. But this is Flashforward i guess is only SCI-FI-ISH (if thats even a word). Anyway good ep but i still think this reveal (the future can be changed) was way too early.
    Edited on 11/05/2009 9:40pm

Hungry_Homer111

[10]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 26

After the horrible episode last week, I'm so glad that they came back with this episode. This episode succeeded where the last one failed, by pushing the story forward. It wasn't forced, and stuck on one (er... five ) character(s) story, but it had actual substance, and had a nice twist at the end which really shakes things up. So now it's no longer "look, all the pieces are falling into place, and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it, so we shouldn't even try," and instead becomes "we can do something about it, and the question is, will we have the strength and will to do so?" The episode wasn't perfect, and did have a few parts that I didn't care for, but overall, I thought it was probably the best so far.

miss_wierd already mentioned one thing that I wanted to mention, which is the fact that the guy who said that Aaron's daughter is dead didn't check the body. I mean, I can understand in that specific situation, with those guys still out there, why he didn't run away, but not so much why he was so certain that she really was dead. The only thing I can think of is that the intesnity of the situation messed with his mind so that he filled in some missing pieces which weren't accurate, but still, seems kind of silly when you see the scene play out like that.

Also, it was interesting to see Callum Kieth Rennie on there, knowing him from Battlestar Galactica. As always happens with characters I know from other shows, I couldn't help thinking of him as Leoben. However, it isn't just the actor that made me think of him that way. Seriously, it's pretty obvious that he was type-cast, but oddly enough, it wasn't a bad thing this time. He did a great job as Leoben, and he did a great job with this character. The only thing I was missing from him in this episode was his great interactions with Starbuck. But maybe if 24 fans are lucky, they'll be able to see some of that magic when they both appear for the next season of that show (if their characters share scenes together), but I digress...

edit: Also, I was just thinking about it, and I like how when they go to the blue hand club, they both hint at the end, with him being willing to risk his life in Russian Roulette, and also playing up the assumption that the future can't be change. And that also leads me back to why I liked the ending. On top of establishing the theme of the episode, it also changes the predictability of the show. Whenever a character is in a dangerous situation, and they had a flash forward, they obviously weren't going to die, because they had the flash forward, and same with other non-life or death elements.

Edited on 11/05/2009 10:53pm

antdude

[11]Nov 5, 2009
    • level: 28
    http://alreadyghosts.com redirects visitors to http://abc.go.com/shows/flash-forward (FlashForward's official home page). It doesn't show the same stuff that was shown in the episode.

flieshunter

[12]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 5

I find this ep superb. I knew that someone eventually will push it through and commit suicide, but i was rather fealing that it'll be the other guy (boss). Never see it coming for Al. I hope the writers just don't take deadly road and miracly bring him back from the dead... That would ruin the show for me.

I also hope that the daughter (from the last scene) isn't only her father's imagination, because he got wasted. I mean, he is a sponsor, so he could've been an alcoholic back in the day, right?

Stitllams

[13]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 6

Hmm, is this series going to end up with multiple universes or has the cat just changed its mind.

Either way this series is moving at a faster pace than before, lets hope it stays that way and doesn't get lost.

enervator

[14]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 38

Very interesting turn of events. All season we've been assuming that the flashforwards were showing THE future. The one and only. Now we're seeing that may not be the case. So if Gough's future is changed, then with the domino effect you could argue that everyone else's has been changed as well. At this point, I wonder if his suicide invalidates ALL of the other flashforwards.

I have to admit, I thought they were going to have him somehow survive the fall. Maybe he broke every bone in his body, but I was expecting him to miraculously heal up by the time of the flashforward. I think it would have been pretty cheap if that happened, although it would have solidified everyone's prior notion that the future is written in stone and nothing can be done to change any of it.

drclawski

[15]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 4

I have troubles with the pocket knife that the guy gave back to the father. In the flashback we saw of the event, we see him slowly walking towards a dismembered body, and then he gets shot at, and he runs away. It is, according to him, the last time he saw the girl.

So, where does the knife come from? She kept it in her room somewhere? It is a possibility, but surely such a small item with such an importance to the girl would be kept on her body, not?

The flashback also mentions her saying 'back up, back up, those are Jericho'. Now, can someone shed some light on this? Apart from a biblical reference, are they some kind of outsourced military currently serving in a war somewhere? Or are they mentioned in flashforward somewhere else ?

tjaman

[16]Nov 6, 2009
    I've got this one on my DVR ... so can't wait to check it out.

Rucook

[17]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 2
    This episode has some slow points, but overall it was AWESOME in my opinion. The Blue Hand Club was sort of weird. It was so funny about Mark wearing the "Police" t-shirt and reminded me of a real event that occurred with a friend that was doing undercover FBI work and was wearing a Bruce Springsteen shirt during a stake-out. I agree about a remark that I read about Demetri's girlfriend, or is she not letting on to him that she knows what he posted and is hoping that he will tell her the truth and try to prevent his getting shot in March. The thing with Aaron's daughter is now a bit confusing. Okay, maybe the DNA in the grave was hers - but from her leg, not her entire body. The guy who was with her in the jeep may have taken the knife from her personal effects in the barracks and left to come back to the States before knowing that she was alive???? Al, oh my goodness, that was the shocker for me - I was literally screaming "no" at the t.v. only to have my son come in the room and say "it's just a t.v. show!!". My son has determined that we are obsessed in watching this series! So, why did the English agent see him in her flashforward, or was it because the flashforward happened prior to him taking fate into his own hands??? ARGH, will have to wait until next week to see what answers and clues we will get.

Chaos_Zombie

[18]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 10

I also absolutely loved the episode and actually it was my favorite so far along with the pilot. It raised new questions, dealt with a huge issue (can the flash forwards be changed?) and showed a ton of character development in the process. This is how they NEED to do the episodes. Watching how everyone was dealing with the suicide at the end was huge. You could see Mark just wanting to hug his wife because now he has hope that the future won't come to pass. Same for Demetri, he has some hope now. It should really open things up for the characters.

Also, I have to say I love Aaron's character. He seems like such a good, down to earth person and the actor does a great job with him. When he saw his daughter at the end though I was shocked. I don't think it's her at all though. I think he's either starting to breakdown and go crazy or there's something more supernatural at work here. Going to be interesting to see where his plot goes.

The whole suicide scene was huge and done amazing well. I saw it coming a mile away but still loved how they presented it. I'd have rather Janis died but I'm glad something was done to shake up the show. Interesting to see Simon have a necklace that said 'Annabelle'. Wonder who she is? He looked remorseful or sad in some way about it so I hope we see more about his character soon.

Really fantastic episode and it renewed my interest all the more in the show (though I wasn't near giving up on it yet).

chuckdreyfuski

[19]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 25
    This is better than most of the episodes. Although I knew along that one of the characters would mess with the future by committing suicide, I didn't expect it to be this early, so it was still quite a surprise. It's an engaging episode, to say the least, esp. towards the end.

DarthFreeza

[20]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 23

I have nothing to contribute that hasn't been said before. I, like many people who posted, thought this was a pretty good episode. Improvement from last week with more substance but still only moderately good.

But AWWWWWWWW Al !!! . Just when I was starting to really like him too! They could've done a bit more with Celia though; maybe show her a bit more so we actually have more emotion for Al's cause. But even so, still very sad .

I was glad that Demetri finally told his girlfriend the truth about his flashfoward. The show is really picking up with me. I think that conflicting flashfowards and possiblity of changing what happened is adding more depth and room for speculation which is always good