FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

The plot has no sense !

ff1024

[1]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 1

Let's see:

If only one person in the whole world kills another person that he or she saw alive in their flashforward...

... then it is impossible that this foreseen future (six months ahead) takes place. Pretty absurd,

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

silverfoxs

[2]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 3
    I think the key problem is not what you mentioned. The key problem is we know exactly which day and what time and do what. so It's so easy for anyone to do something else at that time. Choose different room to have meeting, go to toilet but not with newspaper, etc. According to butterfly effect, as long as we can do something different(even very slightly), the result could change a lot. So I agree with you that this show doesn't have much deep thought about future, unless this is another copy of Fringe which talks about parallel world instead of single time line.

DarthFreeza

[3]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 23
    Have some faith. So far we've only seen one episode. You can't expect the entire gist of the show to be introduced in one pilot. I'm sure they'll get into the rules of whether or not the future is solid and the effects of the flashfowards in due time.

Razor1978_2

[4]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 9
    No that wouldn't happen. It's a future memory. So if you change what you were going to do to purposely avoid that memory it would have no affect as the memory you had was after you made that decision to change something. For instance the guy who is going to die. If he makes a change to try to avoid dying - like quitting his job. That could be the decision that caused him to die.

ken_wakashimazu

[5]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 5

hii thought of that during the pilot, as i always do while watching anything related to seeing the future.

there are usually two ways (usually), one is, you can change the future because you've seen it, or even though you've seen it the things you do to change it become the reason why the future comes true.

another interesting topic would be,

should people who were going to be killed by people wanting to demonstrate they can erase someone else's future by assesinating them see themselves in the future during the blackout or not? If they see themselves, they get killed, therefore they won't be alive, so they shouldn't have be seen anything. If they don't see themselves, they are supposed to die, but if someone kills them, it proves nothing because their future was suppose to be death and nobody knew the circumstances so by trying to prove they can change the future they can be actually helping it to come true.

personally i will follow this show because it can pose a lot of questions that have no one-way answer making the show unpredictable.

Will people buy tickets for the lottery the day before knowing it? will every lottery be cancelled that day? that's exactly the same as the "be killed to change the future" topic. Should it change because everyone saw it? or should it happen because everyone saw it happening and it can't be changed?

did anybody else laughed at "kobe misses season due to injury"?

KingofIPirates

[6]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 32
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Have some faith. So far we've only seen one episode. You can't expect the entire gist of the show to be introduced in one pilot. I'm sure they'll get into the rules of whether or not the future is solid and the effects of the flashfowards in due time.
    Agreed.[QUOTE="ken_wakashimazu"]
    ken_wakashimazu wrote:
    did anybody else laughed at "kobe misses season due to injury"?
    Not laugh but found it rather interesting, they were commenting about it on a few basketball forums.

Sirius452

[7]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 10

I was thinking while that guy was explaining the sport page that he read, "He's gonna be rich!"

I think the plot makes sense. Changing the future should be easy for most of the people to do and good, or bad, for them. It still won't stop the flash from happening on that day. They will then have new flashes. It all hinges on who/what is responsible for the flashes and whether they can change their futures.

Starprincess13

[8]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 24
    I also think the plot makes sense. If you like what you see in your flashforward, than you will do everything to make sure that it comes true. If you don't like it, than you are going to do everything to make sure it doesn't come true. Either way, the flashforwards have influenced your future because you have seen your future and will either do everything you can to make it occur, or try to stop it.

LiJu0

[9]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 3
    the story is determinism vs free will. if we were the masters of our own lives, then after seeing the future, we could change it. however, if everything in life follows "God's plan" strictly, then everything we do during the 6 months leading up to the future, regardless of our intentions, will ultimately result in the future coming true.

this show is pretty damn philosophical, u see

OnePerCentClub

[10]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 35
    Starprincess13 wrote:
    I also think the plot makes sense. If you like what you see in your flashforward, than you will do everything to make sure that it comes true. If you don't like it, than you are going to do everything to make sure it doesn't come true. Either way, the flashforwards have influenced your future because you have seen your future and will either do everything you can to make it occur, or try to stop it.

Exactly, no need to say more. Whatever they do, whether they try to change their future or not, it will lead them to that flashforward.

shan73

[11]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 5

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    Starprincess13 wrote:
    Exactly, no need to say more. Whatever they do, whether they try to change their future or not, it will lead them to that flashforward.

I second this thought.. It will be interesting to see how Penny ( LOST) will try to save her marriage and not fall in love with this other guy!!

RachelBeckford

[12]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 2
    It looks like her hubby is already becoming obssesed, so I think it will eventually drive her into the other mans arms.

davischweitzer

[13]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    Just read the book. It discusses all these questions and you will lose a lot less time with a more compelling story.

Bisrossk

[14]Oct 1, 2009

davischweitzer wrote:
    Just read the book. It discusses all these questions and you will lose a lot less time with a more compelling story.

They should have introduced that "more compelling story" in the pilot. Because, from what I saw... not too sure I want to give it another shot.

mattgus

[15]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 14
    i did not read book but it is a good entertainment vehichle that is why it is used so muuch...lost ,too many to mention...writers can do anything...but after vision even moment day week etc...anything can change. bomb car accident can make a good vision bad in a sec..same the other way...sooo they know we just have to take the ride or not...alot will...not having a vision can mean coma,sleep,siezure,some form of unconciosness...it will be a network of people involved for some endgame that they hope will be many yrs down the line...time is $$$ for tv series....
    Edited on 10/01/2009 5:52pm

EverteMax

[16]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 12
    From a statistical point of view, let's say for you (1 person) to 'BE' in the future your foresaw, will depend on quite a lot of variables. Add on to that, everyone saw something and they are doing something to change that, either making it happen or avoiding it, will add on other millions of variables. Introducing one variable is enough to change the results...so yah, I actually second the point that the plot has not much sense...cause even though it's Sci-Fi to say this: a certain decision on something, even very small, changes the future.

So ultimately, unless all of them saw a unified vision, they really should just get on with their lives...cause what they saw is unlikely to happen as there's a significant chance the future will change.

Mr_Alexander

[17]Oct 2, 2009
    It's TV, it's not supposed to make sense.

Chaos_Zombie

[18]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 10

Mr_Alexander wrote:

Thank you. People forget too easily that this is a sci-fi show that keeps enough things real to be believable, not the other way around. It doesn't have to make sense according to the real world and it shouldn't. For those nitpicking for the finals details of realism in a premise that is impossible to begin with they need to loosen up a bit and enjoy the ride. If you don't like it, don't watch. The show is not for you.

Bisrossk

[19]Oct 3, 2009

Mr_Alexander wrote:

It's TV, so it should be riddled with plot holes? You don't seem to have very high hopes for television there.

gordofrog

[20]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 6
    Im pretty sure the whole point of the show is that if you really want to, you CAN change the future, and that the Flashforwards were in fact just warnings.