FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

This has real possibilities.....but

phxacme

[1]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 2

The show is based on a novel by Robert J Sawyer but from an online synopsis, it does not appear to follow the book so it looks like Brennon Braga and the rest of the writers are really winging it.

With an ensemble cast of this size this show could easily run for 5 or 6 seasons.

What will really matter will be keeping the characters as real as possible and keeping the science, even everso slightly, within the realm of possibility. If it really gets too far out in left field, this series will die a slow and painful death just like "Lost"

I really hope the writers don't screw it up by trying to milk the gig for just another paycheck

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dkst0426

[2]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 6
    Has anyone actually read the book who can comment on how faithful at least the pilot was?

Sirius452

[3]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 10
    I've never read or heard the story but would like a summary also. I think it's going to be a good thing that they deviate from the original. True Blood pulled it off pretty well and I hope these guys do too.

phxacme

[4]Sep 24, 2009
    I just went by the synopsis at Wikipedia

phxacme

[5]Sep 24, 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashforward_(novel)

KingofIPirates

[6]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 32
    Die a painful death like Lost? Lost is still going on strong..
    Edited on 09/24/2009 9:58pm

Matthew229

[7]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 7
    phxacme wrote:
    this series will die a slow and painful death just like "Lost"

Don't know where your figuring that from... Lost is still just as good as ever...

Sirius452

[8]Sep 24, 2009
    Lost! They would be very lucky to achieve Lost status...

Prup-aka-JBentn

[9]Sep 25, 2009

Lost? Hardly. What it reminded me most of was THE 4400, a show with good acting -- this has better -- a lot of strengths, which is very enjoyable -- if you don't spend 5 seconds trying to reconcile it with anything resembling reality. Hopefully the strengths will remain, making it good, mindless entertainment, but I don't understand what the critics were watching to overpraise it. Two points: after the 'great disaster' and all the FX, the whole disaster is ignored as 'everything gets back to normal -- in about two days. Ignore any international complications, or disasters on the level of a nuclear accident. The fact that probably 1% of the country were in the middle of something -- even climbing stairs -- which would result in death or serious, hospitalizable injury, the flood of patients into hospitals, and the likelihood that doctors would be among the professions hardest hit -- ignored. The effect on the economy of the loss of 3,000,000 people, temporarily or permanently -- ignored. The anarchy caused by the depletion in poliuce forces -- again likely to be the hardest hit -- ignored. The effect on survivors of such a trauma, the loss of loved ones, the 'survivor guilt,' even the requirement so many will have to take care of wounded loved ones -- ignored.

And then there's the 'glimpses of the future.' (Oh, and can't you see how great it would be if you posted your dream -- and every conman, swindler, or even everybody you know suddenly finds out things about you that the dream reveals.) And of course we have a case of 'Don't look at the elephant in the room' -- at least so far. Because the second big question -- after 'what the @%*!^ is going on' -- is the question 'Can the future be changed -- and unless I am pleasantly surprised they will be milking this for months. Only there are so many ways a person can make sure the dream doesn't come true. Did you see your hand holding a coffee cup in the vision? Then get a tattoo that would have been visible -- or cut off the tip of a finger if the future is scary enough. And, of course there is the ultimate way of making sure -- which there are enough people who would both think of and do in ordinary times, not to mention after the derangement of the 'big sleep' -- which is simply to kill someone who appeared in your vision. (But don't mention the elephant in the room -- because if you do, we can't stretch this plot line out long enough.)

I'll be watching it. If the acting stays where it was, and the individual episodes have suitably engrossing subplots, I'll probably enjoy it.

But great television it ain't

Will_of_the_D

[10]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 14
    Lost isn't really dying a slow and painful death. lol Frankly, if any of the new shows this Season last as long as Lost has already, they should consider themselves lucky.

Chaos_Zombie

[11]Sep 25, 2009
    I think someone's being a little too nitpicky. This isn't a procedural show and as such allows the viewer to suspend disbelief more. Sure, some things seemed to wrap up too quickly but I think it's too soon to make judgements. We've only watched one episode and some of the points brought up still could be resolved. And there obviously wasn't ambulances and fire trucks because of what happened. Did you see the streets and the highway? Total chaos and there's no way anyone could drive around to help someone. They didnt' show anything to make us believe the streets are all clear again and things are back to normal either. They just showed us the main character's lives and how they are coping. I do agree that the acting was great and the characters are easy to get behind and love. For a pilot that's impressive and a good sign.

JoshuaYates

[12]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 1

dkst0426 wrote:
    Has anyone actually read the book who can comment on how faithful at least the pilot was?

In the book the flashforward was 20 years, TV show was 6 months

Book: Camera recorded nothing but snow/static, TV Show: They were working normally

Book: Lloyd Simcoe worked for CERN, TV Show: He works for Stanford

Those are just a couple of things that I noticed.

Bisrossk

[13]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 9
    Prup-aka-JBentn wrote:

And then there's the 'glimpses of the future.' (Oh, and can't you see how great it would be if you posted your dream -- and every conman, swindler, or even everybody you know suddenly finds out things about you that the dream reveals.) And of course we have a case of 'Don't look at the elephant in the room' -- at least so far. Because the second big question -- after 'what the @%*!^ is going on' -- is the question 'Can the future be changed -- and unless I am pleasantly surprised they will be milking this for months. Only there are so many ways a person can make sure the dream doesn't come true. Did you see your hand holding a coffee cup in the vision? Then get a tattoo that would have been visible -- or cut off the tip of a finger if the future is scary enough. And, of course there is the ultimate way of making sure -- which there are enough people who would both think of and do in ordinary times, not to mention after the derangement of the 'big sleep' -- which is simply to kill someone who appeared in your vision. (But don't mention the elephant in the room -- because if you do, we can't stretch this plot line out long enough.)

I'll be watching it. If the acting stays where it was, and the individual episodes have suitably engrossing subplots, I'll probably enjoy it.

Yeah, I hope they don't focus too hard on the "can the future be changed" issue because, as you said, there's a lot of real quick ways to test that. I also really hated their idea of "let's go make a website and have everyone post what they saw". Yeah, that's foolproof. People wouldn't abuse that at all...

The last scene was intreguing. I'm still not sold on the show, though. If they ramp up the mystery a little more, I might stay, as it took awhile for Lost to really build up, too. But... if it's the FBI trying to figure out what happened, and the blackouts were the only paranormal thing that happened, I'm not sure how long I'll watch, as family/relationship drama alone doesn't sound that interesting.

aeross22

[14]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 6
    I in the middle of reading the book. llyod simcoe is the name of the main character in the book but i think they just yoused his name. also the wife of the guy has a vision of her with another man and the other guy doesn;t have a vision in the book but i wont say why to spoil it.

thunderdeed

[15]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 7
    5 or 6 seasons? Thought the same about LIFE ON MARS.

silverfoxs

[16]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 3
    Prup-aka-JBentn wrote:

Lost? Hardly. What it reminded me most of was THE 4400, a show with good acting -- this has better -- a lot of strengths, which is very enjoyable -- if you don't spend 5 seconds trying to reconcile it with anything resembling reality. Hopefully the strengths will remain, making it good, mindless entertainment, but I don't understand what the critics were watching to overpraise it. Two points: after the 'great disaster' and all the FX, the whole disaster is ignored as 'everything gets back to normal -- in about two days. Ignore any international complications, or disasters on the level of a nuclear accident. The fact that probably 1% of the country were in the middle of something -- even climbing stairs -- which would result in death or serious, hospitalizable injury, the flood of patients into hospitals, and the likelihood that doctors would be among the professions hardest hit -- ignored. The effect on the economy of the loss of 3,000,000 people, temporarily or permanently -- ignored. The anarchy caused by the depletion in poliuce forces -- again likely to be the hardest hit -- ignored. The effect on survivors of such a trauma, the loss of loved ones, the 'survivor guilt,' even the requirement so many will have to take care of wounded loved ones -- ignored.

Exactly my point. Plus, Lost is also not that good. Although season 5 explains some puzzles but none of puzzles in season one were actually resolved. If you try to explain everything with God's power which Lost is leading that way, I personally would feel sorry for Lost and considering how much time I have wasted on it.