FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

What about the REST of the world?

  • Avatar of BtflDsastr23

    BtflDsastr23

    [1]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 03/30/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 146

    It's been said that people who didn't see anything in their flash forwards may have been asleep in their six month's future... but what do you suppose people in other parts of the world who were sleeping in present time when the blackout occurred saw? Did they still experience a flash in their sleep just like everybody else and assume it was a dream, forget it altogether- or did the fact that they were already unconscious at the time leave them unaffected?

    This show obviously has a lot of strong political implications... those implications seem to be the story's driving force in fact, aside from the occasional religious reference to fate and morality in relation to politics. You have to wonder what kind of advantages and consequences there could be on a world-wide scale based on the time-zone factor, alone- those who were awake and active when the blackout struck versus those who were already unconscious.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DarthFreeza

    DarthFreeza

    [2]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 11/28/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,742

    I was just wondering the same thing about people who were asleep when the blackout happened.

    I just assumed that they had their flashfoward as if it were a dream and woke up with a vivid memory of it like the rest of the world.

    But there's also the rest of the world's people who must have either died or been asleep at the time in the future they saw so there would be several billion people who had no vision at all. Yet we've only seen two people so far without visions.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [3]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    But there's also the rest of the world's people who must have either died or been asleep at the time in the future they saw so there would be several billion people who had no vision at all.
    What basis do you have that supports such a large number?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DarthFreeza

    DarthFreeza

    [4]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 11/28/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,742
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    But there's also the rest of the world's people who must have either died or been asleep at the time in the future they saw so there would be several billion people who had no vision at all.
    What basis do you have that supports such a large number?
    Well think about it, thousands of people die every day. Therefore, over the 6 month period between the blackout and April 29th, we can assume that billions (maybe millions, I'm not very good with basic math) of people would have died and not had flashfowards.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [5]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    It's nowhere close to being in the billions.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2066.html
    http://ask.yahoo.com/20051128.html
    According to the CIA World FactBook as of July 2005, between 140,000 - 155,000 people die each day, that equals to around 56,597,034 (if you take into account the high-end number) per year. Half that and add the 20 odd million that was confirmed to have died during the blackout by Simon and you have approximately 48+ million.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DarthFreeza

    DarthFreeza

    [6]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 11/28/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,742
    Ok, granted my math was pretty far off, an approximate 48 million is still a pretty big number of people who wouldn't have flashfoward because they would die in the following months.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ummhaniyyah

    ummhaniyyah

    [7]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 09/18/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 186
    From what I remember, Charlie was asleep when the flash forward event happened. She was in bed anyway and Nicole and her boyfriend assumed her to be asleep. And there would have been plenty of other young children (and others) who were asleep, especially on the East Coast (it was still light out in LA).
    BtflDsastr23 wrote:

    It's been said that people who didn't see anything in their flash forwards may have been asleep in their six month's future... but what do you suppose people in other parts of the world who were sleeping in present time when the blackout occurred saw? Did they still experience a flash in their sleep just like everybody else and assume it was a dream, forget it altogether- or did the fact that they were already unconscious at the time leave them unaffected?

    This show obviously has a lot of strong political implications... those implications seem to be the story's driving force in fact, aside from the occasional religious reference to fate and morality in relation to politics. You have to wonder what kind of advantages and consequences there could be on a world-wide scale based on the time-zone factor, alone- those who were awake and active when the blackout struck versus those who were already unconscious.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of brain_9h

    brain_9h

    [8]Oct 30, 2009
    • member since: 11/18/03
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 38
    You guys are assuming the flash forwards will become true. Don't... Except those that involve causality loops, those can't changed. The others can.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mafiaboi89

    mafiaboi89

    [9]Nov 5, 2009
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 48
    I fail to see how those cant change but I totally agree that the rest can. My best example as I already said in another post is Mark.

    He's in the office when 2 gunmen come for him. Meanwhile his boss is in the bathroom and he's colleague is punching out. Wouldn't he tell both to wait 10:05 to go to the bathroom or leave? At least? And they would (at least them 2 if not the whole US Army) hang around his office with full hardware in case it happens? Even if they don't believe it at that time, you dont have to believe to be careful for 5 minutes JUST IN CASE.

    So it can't happen as described, it wouldn't be realistic for many of them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stitllams

    Stitllams

    [10]Nov 6, 2009
    • member since: 02/12/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 277
    The ghost network, shows that there are a lot of people that had no flash forward, so the theory is officially debunked, lol.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.