FlashForward Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

What is the record for a show jumping the shark?

JoseFurlan

[1]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 2

The added scenes to the characters flashforwards, the japanese girl's "L.A. story", and then the "twist" at the end. I believe the writers on this show are under too much pressure to be clever. And Rightly so, after all the great "WTF" moments "Lost" has delivered it's hard to repeat those same kind of moments.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

II_Seraphim_II

[2]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 6
    In before "Stop comparing it to LOST!!!!111one!11". Anyway, I'm not quite sure if FF has jumped the shark yet, but it's definitely got it's water skis on.

JoseFurlan

[3]Apr 16, 2010
    But it's obvious the writers want to deliver the same type of feelings that Lost did when it first started. You remember that feeling after watching "Walkabout". The writers are trying to get people to feel that way about this show, but it's failing. I'am not comparing it to Lost. It's the wrriters that are trying to do that.

ma_liky

[4]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 13
    Maybe it is not working for you cause YOU are compering it to the Lost, I didnt see Lost and it is just doing great for me.

II_Seraphim_II

[5]Apr 16, 2010
    Ok about the whole LOST comparisons, while I don't feel it's fair to compare it so closely, we have to admit that this show tries to emulate LOST. One episode that had a LOST feel to it and started incredibly well was the one about the window washer. It started off superb, but the thing is the episode itself was irrelevant. The window washers story was just there, but had no bearing. Same applies with that cult of the people without Flashforwards.

The reason I compare those episodes to LOST is because LOST will have these randomly placed episodes that seem disjointed from the story at hand, but then you realize that the episodes elaborate more on a character and thus explain why a character is reacting the way he or she is. Flashfoward needs to get that part down. It needs to make it's little tangent stories have relevance.

I personally think that other than the pilot the best episode of the show was the one where the agent jumps off the roof of the building. It had relevance, and significant meaning to the future of the show. It wasn't the best executed episode ever, but it was done very well, and had great importance to the show.

Ensemble cast shows are dangerous in that unless your writers are superb, a good idea can easily be killed. Right now from what I can see from Flashforward, none of the characters are all that fleshed out or interesting at the moment, and there are too many plot strands out there. They need to either kill off some strands or make them more directly connected. Right now we got a father looking for his daughter, D Gibbons doing his thing, the alpha-ring crew, Bryce, Nicole and the Japanese girl's story, Penny (from LOST)'s adultress story and so on. Anyways, I think an episode that could really get this show back on track is an entire episode centered on D-Gibbons. One that takes place mostly in the past and explains some of his motivations and his role in the grand scheme of things. I think putting a persona behind the Boogey Man would really help this show a lot.

ma_liky

[6]Apr 23, 2010
    Those kind of episodes and story's like window washer are there to remind us that black out was a Global thing. It happened to every one in the World, it effected every one, they are there to show us how normal people react to them, what would they do, would they just let it go or would they do something about it. What would you see? This show is different from every other show because it has presented the possible future, and some people want that future and some dont. And the whole story is wrapped in mystery of how and why, but non the less it did happen and what happens ones can and will happen again, that is the law of physics. This is the show about how people cope with their future and what it brings, that is what frightens us all. Do something about your future. Thats why Al killed him self, he couldnt cope with the thought of killing an innocent woman, Keiko left everything and came to L.A.
    So please stop compering it to Lost, cause its non alike.

WelterJan

[7]Apr 23, 2010

no offence but ... how would you know it´s not like LOST? YOU have never seen LOST.

unlike people comparing it to LOST who have seen both shows. I totally agree that the writers try for it to be the new LOST (casting, lots of different small references etc... well LOST even just flash forwards years ago - fun fact: the even had a funeral parlor named "Hoffs-Drawler" in the first flash forward episode which is an anagram for, you guessed right, FLASH FORWARD).

but i can rate flash forward without comparing it to LOST and it just isn´t "deep" enough. I mean, it´s an okay show and I can see why some people like it and I watch it too. i just needed to point out that not having seen LOST isn´t the best starting point to tell people that this doesn´t try to be the new LOST. cause it tries (which is not a bad thing...).

Edited on 04/23/2010 8:48am

ma_liky

[8]Apr 23, 2010
    Non taken. You are completely right, I didnt see Lost (I tried ones ore twice couldt go all the way it didnt do nothing for me, nothing). But first thing is that Lost started as a show about some people stuck on an island and where did it go from there I dont know and couldnt care less, and that is a crucial difference between them (I dont need to watch a show to see that). I dont see what is there to compere, some of the cast from Lost are there, it is their job to act, and the productions job is to produce. Tell me If their new project was... lets say Glee would you compere it to Lost too. I mean only because some of producers and actors that started new project with flash forward and recommended it as a potential good story and show to their fans it doesent mean that those shows are alike.

WelterJan

[9]Apr 23, 2010

Well. Lost isn´t just a show about people stranded on an island. the reason it is obviously trying to grab Lost viewers isn´t just the actors (but that´s the thing that should at first lure people over) but that they are using lots and lots of same expressions, concepts and ideas that the average Lost fan should be familiar with. episode 4 e.g. being named "black swan". that´s a reference to the the "swan station" on Lost (seriously, how many TV shows do you know with the word "swan" used without it being about a real swan) or the title of the season finale "course correction". well, that´s a key concept (named exactly that) over a few Lost season. the thing that frost explained in the last episode about "forking paths" is absolutely what Lost season 5 and 6 is about up to the point that there are now two forked realities (they did know what was happening in their future and so they changed the past to NOT make it happen). well, there are many many many more references like that and if you would elaborate about which core concepts of the story telling you do like/love/find excetited about FF I´d say I´ll find where that was used on Lost. I´m not trying to make you like Lost and everything. I just wanted to tell you why IT IS OBVIOUSLY "trying" to be Lost which you are fully denying. Now i´ve written way to much here to prove a point on the internet (what a loser i am.. haha). i just wanted to show you the WHY people compare those two shows.

ma_liky

[10]Apr 24, 2010

Like Jim Carrey, in the movie Number 23 where he sees Number 23 every where he looks, you Lost fans (I mean the hard core ones) see Lost every where you turn your head and look. I would bet you see it in the real life too.

The episode Black Swan was referring to this.

Black Swan Events were described by Nassim Nicholas Taleb in his 2007 book, The Black Swan. Taleb regards almost all major scientific discoveries, historical events, and artistic accomplishments as "black swans" - undirected and unpredicted. He gives the rise of the Internet, the personal computer, World War I, and the September 11, 2001 attacks as examples of Black Swan Events. The term black swan was a Latin expression - its oldest reference is in the poet Juvenal expression that "a good person is as rare as a black swan" ("rara avis in terris nigroque simillima cygno", 6.165). It was a common expression in 16th century London as a statement that describes impossibility, deriving from the old world presumption that 'all swans must be white', because all historical records of swans reported that they had white feathers. In that context, a black swan was something that was impossible, or near impossible and could not exist. After the discovery of black swans in Western Australia in 1697, by a Dutch expedition led by explorer Willem de Vlamingh on the Swan River, the term metamorphosed to connote that a perceived impossibility may later be found to exist. Taleb notes that, writing in the 19th century, John Stuart Mill used the black swan logical fallacy as a new term to identify falsification, but only drawing on a London expression. Writing in the New York Times, Taleb asserted: What we call here a Black Swan (and capitalize it) is an event with the following three attributes. First, it is an outlier, as it lies outside the realm of regular expectations, because nothing in the past can convincingly point to its possibility. Second, it carries an extreme impact. Third, in spite of its outlier status, human nature makes us concoct explanations for its occurrence after the fact, making it explainable and predictable. I stop and summarize the triplet: rarity, extreme impact, and retrospective (though not prospective) predictability. A small number of Black Swans explain almost everything in our world, from the success of ideas and religions, to the dynamics of historical events, to elements of our own personal lives.

And if you knew something about todays science and theoretical Physics then you would understand where I am coming from, about Flashforward and Lost.

Edited on 04/30/2010 4:20am
    Edited 3 total times.

Mistral5

[11]Apr 30, 2010

ma_liky wrote:
    you Lost fans (I mean the hard core ones) see Lost every where you turn your head and look.

Absolutely.

"Both shows play on earth and have humans in it. Sooooo much like Lost!"

bcagen

[12]Apr 30, 2010

Jumping the shark? This is the first season and it's not evengood enough to be riding a motorcycle to jump the shark!

CharlesTheBold

[13]May 2, 2010
    • level: 7

The network tried to promote the show by comparing it to their big hit LOST. That was just advertising hype, not an accurate description of FLASHFORWARD. Can't we stop trying to do comparisons between two very different shows?

The people who currently run ABC are not very bright. Look at ABC's history. They had three great hits in a row: LOST, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, GRAY'S ANATOMY. Then the network started doing stupid things like firing the entire staff of COMMANDER IN CHIEF when it was their most promising show, and they haven't had a hit since. Just ignore what the network says.