FlashForward

Let No Man Put Asunder

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 15, 2010 on ABC

7.6
  • Good episode

Leaves you wanting more and wanting to know the answers. They are keeping the suspense levels high. Can't wait for the next installment.
  • Flashforward has been gaining pace in more recent weeks and the writers appear to be making a conscious effort to address certain unanswered questions which the first ten episodes provoked and failed to return to.

Flashforward has been gaining pace in more recent weeks and the writers appear to be making a conscious effort to address certain unanswered questions which the first ten episodes provoked and failed to return to. An excellent example is the story of Mark's sponsor, Aaron Stark, and his daughter's presumed death, return to the US and then subsequent kidnapping. For nearly eight episodes we have heard almost nothing of, what to me, is one of the more intriguing plot lines. This week's episode acts as a welcome return to some of these unresolved questions and focuses largely on Agent Noh's immanent death as prophesied by the Flashforward.

Ironically enough, much of tonight's episode is presented in the form of a series of flashbacks aimed at filling in some of the back story of the younger FBI agents, including the recently revealed moles and their possible motivations for betrayal. These are reasonably effective in their explanation of some of the less important choices that have lead the characters to their current situation. However, the jumps from past and present, as well as between the numerous sub plots, are poorly executed resulting in a deep lack of fluidity that left me mildly disorientated. So many stories and questions are revisited that it often feel as if we are juggling a series of situations, none of which are given adequate attention before jumping to the next.

The second half of the episode is less distracted however and Agent Noh's paranoia and desperation takes centre stage, with an excellent performance by John Cho and with not a MILF in sight. I was beginning to become tired with his persistent state of panic, wondering why he didn't just simply go on vacation for the week of his expected death, but his story does progress significantly.

The largely MIA Aaron Stark makes a welcome return to the fray, with his pursuit of the mercenary group Jericho being given a helping hand from an unexpected source. This is still a shallow sub-plot, containing a rather textbook enemy in the form of a rogue military group that we know almost nothing about. This makes it difficult to engage with what could actually provide quite an exciting series of events as a Father goes out alone to recover his daughter, whilst punishing those responsible. My favourite character form the show, Dr Simon Campos is entirely absent from this weeks episode, which is disappointing as he holds the story together and I am far more invested in his future than I am with Mark Benford's. Speaking of Mark, was I alone in wondering why his accent seems to be different in the flashbacks? Spooky.

Although the recently revealed FBI moles are given some attention, I am still having trouble reconciling the idea that Janice is a traitor to her country, especially with her desire for a baby and the fact that the people she supposedly works for tried to kill her only a few episodes ago. An effort has clearly been made to give her more sinister mannerisms, but for me it is inconsistent with her behaviour in the first half of the season. I feel that the writers will have to address this situation and explain her motives quickly to justify what appears to be a slightly forced plot twist. Overall

An important episode in some regards, although not quite as exciting or compelling as the last few additions. The choppy nature of the first half results in a lack of focus but Agent Noh anchors the episode and gives opportunity for some interesting insights. Although more informative than exhilarating, the flashbacks and previously neglected story lines are necessary as the writers regroup before building up to the season finale. The way the episode ends is genuinely haunting and acts as quite the cliff-hanger. This alone could end up being the turning point in a series that is quickly (maybe too much so) connecting the dots to reveal a conspiracy of epic proportions.

My review from playeraffinity.com
  • Not as great as the last two, but still a good episode.

This was another interesting one, and this show seems to devlop so well in each and every episode. The storyline is very interesting, and it is very suspenseful.

I thought this particular episode lacked suspense. There were many great moments and this was good, but it wasn't as suspenseful as what we have seen in the past, which was a little disappointed.

The ending was terrific and the two-five minutes at the end were absolutely spectacular.

I can't wait for the next episode, as this has developed so well. I would highly reocommend this show, and this episode was good, but not the best. Keep it up, Flash Forward!
  • Poor Demetri, the guy's seems to be in for a rough ride

According to Demetri, Mark's a legend, and clearly so. The guy sees new leads when others see dead ends, and all that detective work in the last episode is just proof that guy is good at what he does. Many times you think why did that guy do that, and not that but I for one seem to be able relate to Mark's character really well. I mean sure he's a bit stubborn yet I have found few flaws with his character; good work on the writer's part.

Demetri catches a break and learns the name of the city he supposedly will be shot by Mark but his efforts in trying to track down Mark's missing gun so far leads to a dead end. Mark however tells Demetri that the surest way to survive March 15th is to get married and leave town until it's all over, and the poor guy tries to do just that, unfortunately Mr. Frost seems to have other plans for him.

On another note, Jericho, the company that has kidnapped Aaron's daughter comes under suspicion which leads to an interesting exchange between Aaron and Mark's boss, Stan. It will be interesting how they writers are going to tie this in with the whole blackout thing. On a smaller note, Olivia and Lloyd share some cozy time… I guess that was to be expected.

This was more a Demetri centric episode, showing his first day at the bureau, and his early relationship with Zoe. I guess this one was meant to give us breather before they drop another "Queen sacrifice" like episode on us, and man I can't wait.