FlashForward

Queen Sacrifice

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 08, 2010 on ABC

7.7
  • The show is verging on greatness, but there are still a few things holding it back. (No spoilers)

I really enjoyed this episode, it addressed the unanswered question of the mole which was really the cliffhanger we were left with last year. However, even though we are being treated to some tying up of frustrating loose ends, it all feels a little too tidy for me. I wont use examples as they will spoil some of the key events, but the timing seems to be a little too impeccible for my liking. Now this really doesn't effect the compelling nature of the story which is developing nicely, mostly with the intrigue that the Simon Campos character brings. I am absolutely loving his storyline and even though he's somewhat of an antagonist in the story, I find myself rooting for him every time.

My biggest complaint is probably a minor thing to most, but it's quite an issue for me and it seems to be getting worse. The show seems to deeply patronise the audience in that every little clue is flashed in their face over and over again. This also happens with dialogue, in the repetition of key phrases to ensure the audience is following Marks detective work. I personally like to feel like I am discovering things for myself and am quite capable of noticing items that I have seen before on Mark's wall, I really don't need an extreme closeup and exclaimation from Mark whilst he taps his finger on the clue in question.

Now I've got that off my chest I feel much better. The mole story was dealt with elequently, the second revelation not so much. I will have to see it develop, but I just don't buy it right now, especially with all that came before (I'm trying hard not to spoil anything). It just does not add up to me, although I will wait for next week before I pass judgement.

I know I winged a lot but I did enjoy the episode and I can't wait for next week. It's just the points above that I feel are holding it back from greatness.