Flashpoint Forums

CTV (ended 2012)

Show Location

Neogamer8

[1]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 12
    Does anyone know or have an idea where this show is supposed to take place. I know it was Canadian developed but it seems to take place in the U.S. I would guess somewhere on the East Coast. Any ideas?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agravane

[2]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 9
    It is set in Toronto, which is why you can't figure out what US city it is; though as I've mentioned elsewhere, they've refused to specifically state that it's Toronto, despite all the visual cues such as the CN tower, other landmarks and identifiers, but they're probably meaning to do that to get just this reaction.

Fwirrel

[3]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 52
    agravane wrote:
    It is set in Toronto, which is why you can't figure out what US city it is; though as I've mentioned elsewhere, they've refused to specifically state that it's Toronto, despite all the visual cues such as the CN tower, other landmarks and identifiers, but they're probably meaning to do that to get just this reaction.

It seems that there are people that are angry that the show "acts Canadian." They don't want it to be so obvious that it's in Cananda. I don't see the big deal. I rather them openly say they're in Toronto than hide it.

oobaka67

[4]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 3
    Funny.
    I live in Canada (east coast but over 1000 miles from Toronto) and I find the show doesn't seem at all Canadian aside from the blaringly obvious CN Tower.

alllstarz

[5]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 4
    Its funny I live in the heart of Toronto and seen my office building on numerous occasions lol.

Neogamer8

[6]Aug 11, 2008
    Hey thanks for the info. I figured it was shot there but still thought they were saying it was in another city. It sounds like they will never specifically say.

Smachary

[7]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    I love that this show is filmed in Toronto and they're pretty obvious about it. Right down to them drinking Tim Horton's! I read an interview with a couple of the actors and they said that the show was actually inspired by Toronto's SRU and they spent time shadowing the actual SRU in Toronto prior to filming. It's nice to see something from a Canadian perspective.

AllyJackson911

[8]Aug 15, 2008
    Well, the uniforms are exactly the same as Toronto's ETF, but none of the patches are the same as Torontos

Prdmomof3

[9]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 10

its definetly canadian..the timmies..the CN tower not to mention the ontario plates on all the cars they drive..the last show mentioned young street...i love this show and hope it continues..

ccynthiacc

[10]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 11
    it is toronto i was watching a video on youtube and they said it was

seikhoqueen

[11]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 14
    I don't think that they're hiding the fact that it's set in Toronto, they're just not throwing it in your face, probably because it might make it more palatable to American audiences. If they were trying to hide it, they would leave out such iconic Canadianisms like Timmies, they certainly wouldn't have the Canadian flag on their uniforms, they wouldn't show the CN Tower in the opening and they wouldn't mention recognizable street names such as Yonge and Queen, or film in Dundas Square. They'd be using made up names and film in areas that look like generic big city streets.

bonez0rz

[12]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 2

seikhoqueen wrote:
    I don't think that they're hiding the fact that it's set in Toronto, they're just not throwing it in your face, probably because it might make it more palatable to American audiences. If they were trying to hide it, they would leave out such iconic Canadianisms like Timmies, they certainly wouldn't have the Canadian flag on their uniforms, they wouldn't show the CN Tower in the opening and they wouldn't mention recognizable street names such as Yonge and Queen, or film in Dundas Square. They'd be using made up names and film in areas that look like generic big city streets.

I doubt they are hiding the fact that is in Toronto. Living in Toronto myself, they show many noticeable parts of Toronto and it isn't that too in your face per se.

On the top of my head in the episodes that aired, they showed and mentioned:

Toronto police service vehicles

Toronto police emblem

Tim Hortons

Gardiner Expressway

CN Tower

Eaton Centre

Yonge Street

Formerly closed down bank near the above location

Part of Dundas Station

Yonge-Dundas Square

Rosedale

Waterfront

The Highway of Heroes scene in the latest episode

The Toronto Star

It's just the cinematography is not too in your face like you said. They try to make the locations look like a typical American city to satisfy some viewers.

Edited on 08/23/2008 4:54pm

AllyJackson911

[13]Aug 30, 2008

Well it is a canadian show, and I am pleased they are proud of it instead of sticking American mailboxes on the street corners. Thought living in toronto its obvious to me where they are filming, they clearly don't want to name a city, in Attention Shoppers they have a fake name for the Eaton Centre.

On the CBS website (also happy an american channel is picking up a canadian show) it does say the SRU is based on Torontos Emergency Task Force.

ibnuts

[14]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    Having lived in T.O. (Toronto) for much of my life and now living in the U.S., the biggest thing to me aside from the obvious visual clues is that they call the officers "constable," rather than "officer." Even for the average ignorant American, that would be fairly in-your-face, although they probably still wouldn't know why lol.

seikhoqueen

[15]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 14
    Tonight's episode showed a TTC Streetcar!

Prdmomof3

[16]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    seikhoqueen wrote:
    Tonight's episode showed a TTC Streetcar!

tonights ep mention Sault Ste Marie and East Scarborough...

PVRAddict

[17]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 4

They are not specifying its Toronto because they are hoping for bigger success in the States but they are putting that stuff in there to appease the Torontonians and other Canadians watching. I read about another Canadian show called Falcon Beach actually going to the extent of refiliming scenes to say Boston instead of Toronto. The article also said that Americans weren't interested in anything foreign and felt they could not relate to it.

I can't blame the makers of this show for doing this because for high ratings they will need the American audience since our population is like a tenth of theirs.