Flight of the Conchords

A Good Opportunity

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Jan 18, 2009 on HBO

• Flight of the Conchords returns.

This was not the best-written episode, it certainly was not the strongest or the most clever, but it was as entertaining a half hour as Flight of the Conchords has ever produced.

Things pick up right where they left off last season and we discover that Murray and the Crazy Dogs had a controversy of some kind leading to him losing everything and winding up in his car. Murray cannot return to work because he told everyone to "stuff themselves" only to discover that nobody ended up reading his letter.

Bret and Jemaine receive an offer to do a jingle, but lose the gig when they do not have work visas. The duo joins Murray in a car and speeds off into the rain realizing that the three only have each other and can never seem to catch a break.

We have all heard the rumors about the Conchords struggling to write songs, but we received two good ones here with Murray returning to singing and Jemaine and Bret's hilarious Femident jingle. The concluding Angel song is nothing to write home about though.

This episode showed that a year of experience has only improved the back and forths between the stars as everything was perfectly timed and the dialogue is as dry as ever. Murray, Bret and Jemaine complement each other perfectly and provide great conversations that have you laughing at both parties involved, a true rarity in sitcoms today.

And in a funny gag we find out that Bret and Jemaine stole a cushion when they played at a library. The two nonchalantly return it while worrying more about other issues, truly summing up the unique nature of this show: subtle jokes are the key to its success.
HBO