Flight of the Conchords

Bret Gives up the Dream

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Jun 24, 2007 on HBO

• Brett gets fired.

6.1
    This was actually an above average episode of Flight Of The Conchords. There was some clever, witty dialogue and actually some memorable jokes such as Murray declaring that the chicken and egg concept was "irrelevant" to the discussion about whether Brett needed gigs or a job. The first song also had some humorous lines, a rarity despite the show's musical genre.

After "the gig" things took a most unappealing turn. Although I did like the crack about not standing next to any big magnets because Murray doesn't know what Jemaine does during his personal time. The character really came into his own in this episode and FOTC actually looked like a decent comedy here.
  • Faced with dire financial circumstances, Bret and Jemaine look for jobs. Bret gets a job holding signs but soon he has no time for the band and Murray and Jermaine start looking for a replacement.

The absurdity of the sign-holding business is brilliant. And once again, the Mel character is so funny when she says they could "go up in flames and this would be the way to go, huh?" The Boom! song featured is from the Flight of the Conchords' standup act. It translates pretty well, and makes me chuckle how they have the other signs holders as background dancers. And as a friend of many Aussies, it's very funny to see the rivalry between the New Zealand and Australia tourism folks. All and all, a hilarious episode. If you're not watching yet, tune in!
  • Silly and oh, so much better than the pilot episode!

I started watching this show from the pilot and that was "eh." But this one was very funny and, like I said before, so much better than the pilot. The songs were very funny. Also, Sutton Foster does the first of what seems to be a few episode appearances as Coco. This episode should have been aired first. Thanks to this show, I have a new pickup line, "Hoo's da boom king?!" That song kept me laughing all night. Can't wait to see what these guys offer in the next episode. So far, so good.

As for the show itself, I find it to be a combination of the comedies of Tenacious D and Monty Python.
HBO2