Flight of the Conchords

Drive By

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Jul 29, 2007 on HBO

• Bret and Jemaine experience discrimination against New Zealanders.

2.5
    What happened? I have been telling all of my friends about this show, and then they release a stinker like this! It is truly awful! The dialog between Jemaine, Bret and their agent Murray is on par with the other episodes, but the rest of the show is simply awful! The storyline about being discriminated against could be funny, but it just doesn't work here. And where is Mel? She (comedian Kristen Schaal) is too funny to leave out of any episode. The song "Racist Dragon" was a funny bit in the Flight of The Conchords standup routine, but it doesn't work here. They made an animation to go along with the tale, but it loses its edge this way -- no longer playing on the absurdity of it all, and instead looking like a lousy kid's fairy tale. And overall, the episode looks like it was simply pieced together to fit in songs that had been previously written. (Accommodating songs is not something new to them. That was clearly why they did the David Bowie dream sequence in the last episode, but it was funny enough to hold it together.) And, I'm sorry, it has to be said, Arj Barker (who plays the guy's American friend Dave) is a TERRIBLE actor! It's a shame, because his standup is funny. But every time he's in a scene, I become fixated on his stilted delivery. I have my fingers crossed for a better episode next week. I'm still a FOC fan.