Similarities to Tenacious D?

alp1981

[1]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 18

Not the musc but the TV show. I've heard Flight of the Conchords and checked out their One Night Stand special so I know their music is different. Early info makes thissound a lot like the Tenacious D show from way back when. Which, to me, is a good thing. Any similarities at all?

Edited on 06/11/2007 1:07pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrn71

[2]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 55
    That's a good comparison - at least as far as the guys' personalities are in the show. A hapless duo in search of musical stardom, with funny songs that are cool in their own way.

Tonydied

[3]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 3

mrn71 wrote:
    That's a good comparison - at least as far as the guys' personalities are in the show. A hapless duo in search of musical stardom, with funny songs that are cool in their own way.
    Agreed but the back and forth banter between the two is outstanding! I saw the HBO special as well and thought they were great, i still cant get "Albby, the racist dragon" outta my head when i think of them.

Edit cause I'm not sure if it's Albby or Alphie

Edited on 06/23/2007 4:40pm

alp1981

[4]Jun 25, 2007
    • level: 18
    I think it's alby.

After watching this show, the similarities to the D are obvious in the circumstances but it's not a bad thing at all.

the main charecters have great chemistry and their songs are hilarious. i like the line "pretty enough to be a waitress or a part time model."

hopefully this show sticks around longer than the aformentioned.

haaat

[5]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 1
    it's similar to the old tenacious d episodes, but i'd say flight of the conchords is more along the lines of the mighty boosh.

dveous1

[6]Jul 24, 2007
    • level: 7
    interesting that the tenacious D comparison has come out. did anyone notice that in this week's episode (#6 - Bowie), in the novelty music magazine, Murray showed them an ad that referred to them as "Tenacious Dundee"?

personally, i don't think there's a problem with comparing the two bands. they do have several similarities, but are each unique.

HatchetRyda77

[7]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 8
    yep, differeny but similiar. still good, but long live the D!

Clown029

[8]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    quite funny JUST sent an e-mail to friend saying check out FotC they are basically the New Zealand Ten. D! Then come here and see this thread

I like FLight better though oh well each his own

jmizzle505

[9]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 23

I like Flight of the Conchords better than Tenacious D. FOTC seems to have more variety and better lyrics in their songs. I'm not saying Tenacious D did a bad job, but I like how the conchords have more of a tradeoff in the singing of their songs, as opposed to Tenacious D, which is mainly Jack Black.

What I wouldn't give to see Jack and KG make a guest appearance on a future episode of "Flight of the Conchords."

6dark6shadows6

[10]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 15
    They're both very similiar, but is that a bad thing?

rickman333

[11]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 1
    I really do think Flight of the Conchords is somewhat of a ripoff.
    What made Tenacious D naturally funny was the fact that these two guys tried to rock so hard with acoustic guitars. Of course these guys aren't going to get anywhere- At step 1, they've already made this fundamental error.
    That's what made Tenacious D funny. These guys were so passionate at what they did, but couldn't figure out that maybe they should get some guitars you plug in. In addition- neither of the duo's physique fits the rockstar mold. One is a bald(ing) and rotund dude, while the other is a pudgey elvish guy. Not quite the poster children of rockstars.
    Fight of the Conchord is a show I just don't get. I do not find it smart, funny, or musically interesting.
    Some of Tenacious D's songs were without a doubt lower-brow than FOTC, but those songs were never meant for an audience- they were meant for the D's self-gratifying dream of acoustic-metal stardom. And that's what made the show smart.
    And, for the record (though, I don't think anyone would dispute the following statement): Musically, Jack Black and Kyle Gass are 10 times as talented as FOTC want to pretend not to be.
    You may have to read that last sentence again if it doesn't make sense.