Flight of the Conchords

Girlfriends

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Aug 05, 2007 on HBO

• Bret acts as Jemaine's "wingman"and Murray makes a CD deal.

Phew! After last week's stinker, this episode is back on track, with the dry humor we love. Jemaine asks Bret to be his "wingman" in his pursuit of a croissant shop girl. But it's Bret who gets all of the attention. The joke here is that, in this episode, the women pursue sex like men. And the male characters are holding out -- worrying about dressing too provocatively, but wanting to be flirtatious enough to hold interest. Bret keeps saying "no" but Lisa explains that without sex she'll get "backed up" (I may have used that one before ). Lisa finally has her way when she tells Bret she's shipping off the next day to fight in Iraq. During sex, Bret just lays there, and after climax, Lisa falls asleep on top of him. Brilliant. Meanwhile, clueless Murray is making deals with a conman he thinks is Quincy Jones' little brother. The first song is funny -- basically stringing together the only French words the boys know and can sing to the croissant girls. The outfits and art direction for that song are also very cute. The second song is just so so. Overall, a very good episode, despite the fact that my favorite character, Mel, appears for only a second.
HBO