Flight of the Conchords

Unnatural Love

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Feb 15, 2009 on HBO

• An unnaturally brilliant episode from the viry funny Flight of the Conchords

When Jemaine and Bret are forced to go night-clubbing under the orders of Murry; Jemaine goes home with a girl whose vulgarity and obnoxiousness isn't what shocks Jemaine and his friends but the fact that she's Australian. Jemaine continues to see her until it is revealed at the end that Australians can do much more damage than just releasing Paul Hogan onto the world.

From the beginning which sees Murry forcing Jemaine and Bret to enter a nightclub as if he was a parent dropping his kids of at school to the conclusion where Jemaine is struck with loneliness and Bret with duct tape (you'll see what i mean), this episode is totally hilarious. The awkward conversations and mortifying silences are at their best, the songs are as amusing as they are musically credible and every word spouted by the uncouth Australians especially when followed up some mushy, Kiwi banter is just golden. However, what really sets this show comedically apart from rival sitcoms is the modesty that lies behind all the jokes, absent is the cocky self-assurance or grating laugh tracks which plague other comedies with the Conchord gags being as understated as the two main guys and just as appealing. The songs in this episode are particularly masterful, "Too many dicks on the dancefloor" features Jemaine and Bret branching out into the dance genre very successfully with lyrics that offers more synonyms for male genitalia than Monty Python could ever offer. Nothing however surpasses "Carol Brown" whose Emmy nomination (yet shocking failure to win) represents the pinnacle of the show's musical prowess with THE cleverest rhyming out of all the songs prior and subsequent to this episode, a great musical backing and visually amazing video clip which includes a suprising abudance of ex-girlfriends that Jemaine has. As true in the first season, this episode takes place in a rather twisted version of New York City where grubby, inner-city locales replaces images of the gleaming and welcoming tourist attractions that other NYC shows throw at us constantly and people are not exceptionally nice or rude but just pay no regard to others leaving the displaced New Zealanders to bumble around in their haplessness but this time the show is concurrently offering a negative depiction of another culture; Australians. It's as if this episode is aimed at justifying the cheap shot which Australians received back in the episode "Drive By" through portraying them all as mind-bogglingly crude and abhorrent with living areas that resemble a ransacked gift shop. A fine line between playfulness and maliciousness is flirted with (very much so in the ending) but never crossed as it is impossible to imagine Jemaine and Bret sitting down to write this episode with any intention of defaming a country and its inhabitants, because this differentiation is maintained; the parody of Australians is side-splitting and one feels free to guiltlessly laugh.

Jemaine and Bret maintain their comically minimalist acting styles here which, like always, reaches the intended effect when they suddenly launch into vivacious musical performances which contradict their usual state of quiet dismalness. Because of this contrast, the rather bombastic guest appearence from Keitha does not overwhelm the audience. Murry is at his scene-stealing best and the enthusiasm with which he spouts his numerous insanities (which are particularly notable in this episode) is physically impossible not to laugh at. The only criticism this episode can justifiably receive is the absence of Mel, to deprive any episode of her hilariousness is criminal in itself but one can only imagine how she would react to Jemaine having a girlfriend, let alone an Australian one. The fact that any negativity towards the show comes in the form of nit-picks speaks volumes about its general excellence. This is the first Flight of the Conchords review I have written since being forced to swallow the bitter pill that the show is over, it is for this reason that re-watching any of the past episodes stirs up mournful feelings which contradicts the show's lightheartedness. Thankfully, when watching any episode from this show one is so enthralled by the quirky brilliance of it that any outside dilemmas is quickly forgotten and this anti-Australian masterpiece is a firm example.
  • Love thy Neighbour. Jemaine dates an Australian girl to the horror of Bret and Murray. Directed by a French Man

This episode is technically racist against Australians yet I couldn't stop laughing. We know the Kiwi's have a problem with the Aussies from past episodes but this plays on all the stereotypes. Keitha is a great character yet never really likable and I like the bit with her flat mates and their racism back.

The songs this week are great 'Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor' had me laughing even before it started. Dave is like a guy I know (not naming names) who if there is too many men in the Nightclub then he exclaims 'It's like a sausage factory in here'. Dave is clearly that type and leading into that song, which was great, is amazing. It helps that Michel Gondry (French man and genius extraordinaire) directed because you can see his creativity come through especially in the musical numbers. He fits this show like a glove. Not Bret's hand Gloves though. This is one of the funniest episodes so far, and I like that Murray is actually becoming more of a friend rather than just manager now. "Have you got your Wallet"
  • Australian stereotypes abound in this episode, in which Jemaine unwittingly sleeps with an Aussie, to the horror of himself, Bret, and their manager.

I thought this was funniest episode I've seen yet. From the opening sequence, in which the guys' manager forces the reluctant pair to go night-clubbing (they'd rather watch a video or have a sleep), to the final scene with Bret duct-taped to the back of the door to their apartment, the absurdity is non-stop. Other highlights include the hilarious song, Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor, and plenty of over-the-top satire about the attitudes of New Zealanders towards Australians. Also hilarious is a bit where Jemaine's request for biscuits (cookies) from an unnamed source has been rejected because he failed to properly fill out the "purpose" part of his form.
  • A little bit of "New Fans", a little bit of "Yoko" and some new original content. That sums it up. *possible spoilers in review*

This episode proves once again that relationships with women are not Bret and Jemaine's strong suits.

I felt like it borrowed concepts from episodes such as "New Fans" and "Yoko". The "New Fans" concept is that they always get dumped at the end of the episode in quite a revealing and dramatic way (The bagel shop girls were just fooling around when one said she was going to Iraq and the Australians robbing their house). The "Yoko" concept is once again that bands shouldn't have girlfriends and tension mounts in the episode as a result. (Although it is not directly mentioned in the episode, the presence is there).

But what made this episode tick was how it was all assembled. It made it watchable and enjoyable and I had a good time laughing to this episode. Notable scenes included the answering machine section and both songs.

Not up to par with "Yoko" But certainly good enough to have nearly the same score as "New Fans", which is the score I'm giving this episode.
  • Convinced me that Season 2 will not be a failing echo of Season 1.

The first 3-4 episodes of FotC Season 2 I watched with gritted teeth and clenched fists as I expected significant short-falls from the quality of Season 1. More often than not I came away disappointed. I viewed this episode with that very same critical eye, and quickly my self-inflicted frustrations melted away as I became enthralled right away with the first music number. I do not remember the name or the tune of the song, but disco balls will never be considered non-phallic again in my life experiences. I am also convinced that this series will not run out of creative story lines. The xenophobia between Aussies and Kiwis is a worthwhile theme, which needs to come back again and again. I, an American, have experienced the relations between these two diverse cultures in real life, and I sympathize with that burning hatred toward those rapists and pillagers, who need to be confined to their hell-ish asylum. But anyway, back to my critical un-biased assessment. Amusing for 20 of 25 minutes. The duct tape at the end was confusing... but this is meant to be a 2-parter... Right, FotC?
  • Jemaine dates an Australian woman.

6.3
    We learned last season that there is a rivalry between the Australians and New Zealanders, but here it was taken to a new level. Apparently Jemaine would be banished from the group (only for a few dates though as Murray pointed out) if he were to date an Australian woman.

As dumb as that premise sounds, the episode was even more idiotic and ended with Bret being taped to a door. Season 2 has been really up and down but this was just a really stupid installment, and the fact that it was written by people other than James Bobin and the two stars was obvious.

Outside of a few Murray and Dave lines this was just weak.