Flipper

NBC (ended 1967)

mrdivot

Flipper Fan Reviews (8)

7.6
  • An Early childhood favorite. Flipper is one of my first memories on the tv. A classic show that built others around it.

This was an earlier Ivan Tors 'animal' based show - Gentle Ben is one that came after it. Flipper had a similiar premise. A family adopts a wild animal and the animal becomes part of the family.
    Flipper was like the third boy in the bunch. There was the Dad, Porter Ricks (played by Brian Kelly), the two boys, Sandy and Bud Ricks and Flipper. No Mom in this home.
    But again, the family is out on the water and the boys go to school, help Dad and learn about life thru the events of the day. They learn that they should listen to Dad.
    There was a sense that this was a father who was intelligent, understanding, and when warranted, firm. Porter Ricks raised his two sons, Bud and Sandy, with keen senses of the difference between right and wrong. This was something that stuck with me and that I saw again in other similiar shows by Ivan Tors. (Gentle Ben)
    Flipper was a very intelligent dolphin and in the same sense of Lassie and Gentle Ben and some others, knew how to go for help, figure things out and solve problems that came up.
    Many scenes took place out on the water, in a high speed boat with Flipper flying ahead leading them to the troubled area. It was exciting for tv and for us children.
    I am glad to have been a part of the Flipper era.