Footballers' Wives

ITV (ended 2006)

Footballers' Wives Fan Reviews (15)

• I hate and resent this simple minded trash.

Just how low brow can British TV get? Footballers' Wives may have just supplied the answer. Imagine your worst American soap opera, filled with worse acting, barely literate scripts, and the cheapest photography possible. This knuckledragging series is one step below professional wrestling.

So what made me come and write a review of this dismal tripe, which also required me to sit down and suffer through almost an entire episode? Well, it's BBC America's constant, overbearing, ear splitting promos for this garbage at the expense of other programs I want to watch. It's bad enough to realize I'm being cheated out of fourteen minutes or more of Life on Mars every week. It's worse to realize that at least eight or nine of those minutes are being stolen from me to promote this scrap.

Get this offal off the air!
  • There's nothing spectacular about this glorified British soap opera

My fiancee told me there's a show on BBC America that's like a British version of Desperate Housewives and that I just had to see it for myself.

So we made sure to set the TiVo to record it, then sat down to watch it once we had the time. I couldn't believe that she actually thought this glorified British soap opera was so amazing.

Down to the tacky music and bad acting, I might as well have been watching an episode of Days of Our Lives (albeit with British accents). I literally couldn't sit through more than 15 minutes of it.

Unfortunately, I'm not basing this opinion on only 15 minutes of viewing experience. There have been a few times since then that I heard the show in the background while working on something else (my fiancee continues to watch the show). And every time I get the same skin-crawling feeling I associate with cliche, tacky, soap-opera acting.

Don't get me wrong, my girl is a smart lady who graduated from college with a degree in computer engineering. But guys, take my word for it: This is a soap opera.
  • Footballers Wives is fantastic but somebody needs to take a serious grip of this show . . .

6.2
    Footballers Wives is known for its drastic story lines which are amazing but somebody needs to take control on this.

Exits - the most ridiculous exit I have ever heard of is when Chardonnay died do they really expect people to believe that she suddenly developed leathal anorexia , Tanya Turner so far is the only charachter to have a decent exit or an actually exit unless you count the deceased Frank Laslett , in the middle of seasons charachters seem to drop like flys for example at the end of season two we still had Salvatoray , Ian , Ians daughter , The Scottish coach and probibly others I just havent noticed but by the time the third season had began these charachters had just dissapeared ian was the only one briefly mentioned the other just fell off the face of the earth.

Tanya Turner being the exception the only way you get out of that programme is in a coffin or in Tanyas case a helicopter both of her on screen husbands had been killed off Jason was hanging off the edge of a building when Chardonay (they blamed her because she left the show and wouldnt be in series three so they had a chance to start a fresh episode) bashed jasons hands with a glass bottle causing him to fall to his death , husband number two Earls Park director Frank Laslette suffered a heart attack at the heart of the biggest bitch in tv history , Tanya was having sex with him to get his heart going and when he needed his pills she wouldnt give them to him and pop Frankie Boy was gone but atleast he had a funeral Jason didnt , at the end of season two Jason fell to his demise and at the begining of season three we are at Chardonays funeral , stuff like this only ever happens in Footballers Wives!

Bad production by Shed ? , It was reported that Tanya Turner would make a brief return at the end of season four and that Hazel and Noah would get final scenes (I guess in season five theyll just dissapear and never be heard of again) the fourth season finale was supposed to be ninty minutes long instead it was only sixty cutting off the final thirty minutes of the episode and of the season it is reported that the extra footage will be on the dvd when released , how ever ITV denied that there was even supposed to be an extra thirty minutes but Zoe Lucker who plays Tanya Turner claimed on a tv show that she had filmed scene for that very episode which were not shown , Footballers Wives has some strings that need tieing up and quickly and a spin off series called Extra Time sint the way to do that!
  • I think its an decent show my best friend loves it more then i do but whenever its on i watch it

7.4
    i think this show is good its a bit OTT but its good i hope it comes back i used to watch everytime i never missed an series i wouldnt buy the dvd thats just sad but i would watch it if it came on tv i liked tanya turner the best but its sad shes gone it was good when she appeared on bad girls as bad girls is another favourite of mine if u know what i mean.
  • Brilliant, but OTT

I started watching this show in 2004, but I found it good. I especially enjoyed the overthetop drama, rivalry and, of course, Tanya's shagging of Conrad which became more recurring and consistent over time.
    A good show, but does need to hang on to the genuine world a little more.
  • Well, I finally gave in and purchased the first season of this show on dvd now that it has come out in Region 1. A friend of mine in the UK had been trying to talk me into watching this show (and Bad Girls) for months.....

Well, I finally gave in and purchased the first season of this show on dvd now that it has come out in Region 1. A friend of mine in the UK had been trying to talk me into watching this show (and Bad Girls) for months, but I resisted, mainly because it sounded like it would be a show about some rich stuck up trophy wives. Well it turns out I ended up enjoying the trashiness of the show quite a bit, although I still think it has a terrible name. To make a comparison with Desperate Housewives, I think Desperate Housewives has much better acting, but Footballers' Wives is trashier (whether or not that is a good or bad thing is up to the viewer).

Just an observation:
    I noticed that only the very first episode had correct grammar for the title "Footballers' Wives" That episode had very simple onscreen credits which suggests that it was a pilot shot before all the other shows. The rest of the episodes, and the Region 1 dvd box cover for that matter, do not have the apostrophe at the end of "Footballers", and that really bugs me for some reason.
  • I love this show, but Zoe Lucker (Tanya Turner) needs to return!

Footballer's Wives is one of the best shows on TV, even if it is completely over the top, I still love it. The season finale was good, the best part was seeing Zoe Lucker's scene which was cut in some countries for reasons I don't know. Hopefully season 5 will be just as great.
    Even though the show has lost most of the major characters for the next season including Conrad, Tanya, Shannon, Harley, Hazel and also with Amber leaving at the start of the 5th series, I'm sure the show will pick itself back up, because at the end of season 2, Jason, Chardonnay, Ian, Donna and Salvatore all left and the show kept going. But the loss of the best character in the show, Tanya Turner, will have a definite effect. And she is undecided if she will return or not, I really hope she does return to the show.
  • A show where not a lot of things go as planned this show is full of murder , mystery and drama . The characters come and go ! ! ! ! ! They each have a part which they have either done well in or are doing well in !

A show where not a lot of things go as planned this show is full of murder , mystery and drama . The characters come and go ! ! ! ! ! They each have a part which they have either done well in or are doing well in ! To me it is a very interesting show that can sometimes be a bit over the top but sometimes can be a bit low in drama which sometimes make you not want to watch it the following week you are best to carry on watcing it to find out what happens next.
  • I love this show - when is it coming back on air? The best show ever! Ten million plus thumbs up!

I love this show - when is it coming back on air? The best show ever! Ten million plus thumbs up! I look forward to Sunday nights, it's my time to relax and get lost in the show. I am definately going to buy it when it comes out on DVD! Thank you so much!
  • Footballers wives is very OTT and very tacky, but hell, thats why we love it

7.9
    Footballers wives is one of those shows that are so tacky and over the top. But the minute you sit see it you are glued to the screen. Not maybe because of its greatness, but because of the way it is put together, the ott storylines. The hamphrodite baby, the dog killing Tanyas baby. things that would very rarely happen, happen in this show. Which is why it is so great.
    The show would probabluy appeal to people in the age -15-35 catagory but maybe not, that is just what i think. I think its a fab programme and i hope it runs for a long time yet
  • its alright shame its gone ..

Footballers' Wives

This program is brillient, it is so funny to see, when they plan something really good but it ends up going totally wrong me and my family find it highly hilarious .

They do think of some excellent things to kill someone or swap babies with another footballers' wife (two main episodes to me).

It does give us a little inside on what its like, the fame, the money, the guys.

BUT the size of the nails on some of the wives are appauling and things they do to get money its rediculus.

The only thing is I CANT belive its never coming back .

Your sincerly Kandice ...
  • Footballers Wives review - Are you undecided on whether to watch it or not? Well after reading my review you'll be hooked!

Footballers Wives, set in fictional football stadium Earls Park has been bought to you by the makers of Bad Girls (Shed Productions)

Every viewer knows that this programme has over the top storylines and the most outrageous scenes. Recent examples include baby-swapping, Cooking a dog at a party and killing someone by hitting them with a bottle.

This show follows the lives of the footballers of Earls Park and more importantly their wives. The recent series mainly focused Conrad Gates (Ben Price) and the feud between his ex wife Amber (Laila Rouass) and his girlfriend and former captains wife Tanya Turner (Zoe Lucker)

Some viewers have been complaining that there have been too many sex scenes in series 3 which is why series four only featured mild sex scenes, however for some viewers more sex scenes is a good thing.

So, dont forget to tune in when it comes back to UK screens in 2005 but if you can't wait that long Series 1-3 are now available to buy on video and dvd!
  • Guilty pleasure no1. Think Dynasty and Dallas with British flair and a whole lot of cussing and you've got footballers.

Footballers wives is a gem.If you love drama, comedy ,things that are a bit over ther top and British shows this is the show for you. There is scheming of the most ludicrous kind by all the women on the show. The 3 staples Amber Shannon and Tanya are a hoot. From Baby swaping to faked kidnappings and accidental murders, footballers has it all. The beauty of footballers though is that unlike other shows like this it moves fast and doesn't hang around on one topic soapie style. Miss an episode and you may have missed Tanya moving on to a new husband. But its not just about the women either the men get their fair share of Drama especially personal favourite Bruno Milligan! Watch a few episodes in a row and you'll be putting the accents on all week.
  • a group of wives that are married to world known football players, the wives are hot, sexy, outstandingly **** and the best cat fights you'll ever see on tv. from sex, to drugs back to sex. with marriages every seasons and well sorted storylines.

this is a great show from the UK. i fell in love with it straight away. the storylines are great, so uterly unture but fantastic at the same time. they drag you in wanting more and more. Tanya Tuner, the best B it ch ever on tv ever. and probably the most married person on tv. it gets better every season and the new sign ins get better and hotter. Tanya Turner (Zoe Lucker) the best person on the sohw and also a great actress. the husbands are hot, fit and young. they might be pricks but you'll fall in love with them...
  • The English just got a whole lot sexier!

And we've only come to know them for their bad teeth & tea at lunch time. I loved this show... I wished they stuck it around for a little bit longer.

The show basically revolves around The Earls Park Football (that's soccer for us in the US) Team's wives... they can be deceiving & manipulating into getting everything they want. Scandal, Sex, Alcohol... that always calls for good tv, especially British TV. And get this... the actors/actresses in this show all have perfect teeth. YAY!
    A few good characters killed off due to suicide, jealousy, and mistaken identity... RIP: Chardonnay, Jason, & Conrad! I hope BBC has another great show up its sleeves... it's going to be pretty hard to measure up to the hype that Footballer's Wives brought.