Footballers' Wives

ITV (ended 2006)

Footballers' Wives Fan Reviews (15)

• There's nothing spectacular about this glorified British soap opera

My fiancee told me there's a show on BBC America that's like a British version of Desperate Housewives and that I just had to see it for myself.

So we made sure to set the TiVo to record it, then sat down to watch it once we had the time. I couldn't believe that she actually thought this glorified British soap opera was so amazing.

Down to the tacky music and bad acting, I might as well have been watching an episode of Days of Our Lives (albeit with British accents). I literally couldn't sit through more than 15 minutes of it.

Unfortunately, I'm not basing this opinion on only 15 minutes of viewing experience. There have been a few times since then that I heard the show in the background while working on something else (my fiancee continues to watch the show). And every time I get the same skin-crawling feeling I associate with cliche, tacky, soap-opera acting.

Don't get me wrong, my girl is a smart lady who graduated from college with a degree in computer engineering. But guys, take my word for it: This is a soap opera.