Forever Knight Forums

CBS (ended 1996)

Angel

SleepTight

[1]May 3, 2006
    • level: 36
    I am a huge fan of vampires, and Angel has been my favorite show since it originally aired.

so I've heard that Angel 'used' some stories of Forever Knight (a show I had never heard from until a few months ago)

is there anyone who saw both shows completely? which did you think was better and what did Angel 'used'?

please, try not to insult either show
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CharliesGirl

[2]May 12, 2006
    • level: 9

I saw them both. Which one was better? That's kinda hard. They both were help people, to pay back all the deaths they had caused. They both were trying to become human again. I look them both. Angel had more scifi and action. Forever Knight was more of cop action show with vampires.

Angel face change when he became a vampire. Nick only had teeth and his eyes change color. I like how FK showed the vampires. Their vampires look the same in their human form just with teeth and orange eyes. Now episodes, I am not sure which ones they might used. Both shows concepts were the same.

Have anymore question? Feel free to ask. If I have to pick one over the other. I pick Forever Knight. The first show I watched with vampires. But I love Angel to.

SleepTight

[3]May 13, 2006
    • level: 36
    thank you
    (you seem to like Supernatural, which is always good )

anyway, have you seen both shows completely?
    what were the story lines recycled on Angel? or what seemed very similar?

CharliesGirl

[4]May 14, 2006

SleepTight wrote:
    thank you
    (you seem to like Supernatural, which is always good )

anyway, have you seen both shows completely?
    what were the story lines recycled on Angel? or what seemed very similar?

How did you know I like Supernatural! I have seen both show completely. It hard to tell which story lines were recycled. Because Angel had other demons and FK only had vampires. One I think kinda was recycled was Angel being a dad. In FK Nick take in this little girl you witness a murder.(for only the episode) It was very funny episode. The girl find him passed out on the couch with and empty wine bottle next to him. ( Nick keep his blood in wine bottles) She goes opens the window, the sunlight hits Nick in the eyes. Nick goes running to the bathroom and say he blind.

Some FK Story Lines:

Nick gets demonic possession.
    Nick shot in the head.
    Nick has stack out a church.(in it)
    Nick joins a cult.
    Nick get infected with a deadly virus.
    Nick has dream he kill LaCroix.( Like Alice in Wonderland)

These all are one I can think off. Off the top of my head.

boromirbeauty

[5]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 61
    If you are just getting into Forever Knight, you may also want to check out Kindred: The Embraced, which was also about vampires. It didn't last very long, for various reasons, but was fun.

BRAH

[6]Jul 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    I saw them both. I enjoyed "FK" much more. I just didn't get the facisnation around "Angel". I think it had too much of a 11-17 year old demographic-touch to me.

xxlly

[7]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 6

BRAH wrote:
    I saw them both. I enjoyed "FK" much more. I just didn't get the facisnation around "Angel". I think it had too much of a 11-17 year old demographic-touch to me.

Perhaps part of Angel's big appeal was that it was a character spin-off from "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer", a series that admittedly targeted a young audience and offered in Buffy & Angel a demonized version of Romeo & Juliet!

The Buffy series also provided the spin-off with important background information on Angel's character. Without that background, some viewers may not have understood a lot of the Angel story nuances, the importance of the various cross-over characters from Buffy (Cordelia, Harmony, Faith, Spike, Wesley, Oz, Willow, etc) and certainly not the depth of Angel's relationship problems after forcing himself to leave the Slayer.

I saw only a few episodes of FK, (before ever seeing Angel or Buffy) but enjoyed the concept as I am a fan of Ann Rice's vampire books. I've seen all 5 seasons of the Angel series now and plan on getting the Forever Knight DVD's; then I will better be able to compare.

BTW, I am far removed from the 11-17 yr old demo...!   I just happen to like Josh Whedon stories...

andromache416

[8]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 1

SleepTight wrote:
    I am a huge fan of vampires, and Angel has been my favorite show since it originally aired. so I've heard that Angel 'used' some stories of Forever Knight (a show I had never heard from until a few months ago) is there anyone who saw both shows completely? which did you think was better and what did Angel 'used'? please, try not to insult either show

I've seen both (mostly) and I definitely see FK elements in Angel. esp. the first season of Angel.

-Angel and Nick have (pretty much) the same car, which is fun!

-Both keep nothing but blood in the fridge.

-Both do want to be human again, to atone for their pasts, but while Angel has the mystical prophecy thing, Nick seems to rely more on science -- which is weird, since FK vamps are definitely more magical than Angel vamps (Nick can hypnotize people, is sometimes telepathic and can fly!!)

-Darla on Angel is kinda similar to Jeanette on FK...except I think Nick and Jeanette have way more chemistry and a way more interesting relationship than Angel and Darla. Both Jeanette and Darla get to be human for a while, though, which you might call borrowing!

-If you watch the episodes in season 1 of Angel with Kate the detective, you get a good feeling of what FK's like. Nick is a cop, while Angel only helps out, though. So maybe Kate is similar to Tracy Vetter on FK...both are really really blonde!

-Both Angel and Nick have a preference for long coats (but then so do most vampires!!)

-AND, the crowning glory, an FK actor actually guest stars on Angel -- John Kapelos who played Schanke -- in the Angel episode with the Hyperion hotel and the Shining-like fifties flashbacks I think that's like a little salute from Angel to FK!

I bet I'm leaving out a bunch of things, but that's all I can think of for now. Not that I've ever actually thought much about this before, or anything like that! Oh, and I think I like FK better because I saw it first and it's a little bit darker. And it has LaCroix! Angel's dark and funny and FK's dark and more morally ambiguous, none of this soul/no soul business. Also, FK has more history (Nick meets such notables as Joan of Arc and Jack the Ripper), but Angel is definitely more stylised -- and the action is better!

BRAH

[9]Jan 10, 2007
    :
    BTW, I am far removed from the 11-17 yr old demo...! I just happen to like Josh Whedon stories...

Well that's probably part of my problem. I've never been a Joss Whedon fan.

:
    Angel is definitely more stylised -- and the action is better!

"FK" also had a much smaller budget than "Angel".

emerald999

[10]May 4, 2007
    • level: 35
    I really found this thread interesting. I am a huge Angel fan, and just starting watching FK. I was surprised to see how much similarity there was in just the 5 episodes I have seen already, which has already been mentioned above. I'm looking forward to seeing more. I think that they are different enough that I can like both of them, and hopefully won't keep comparing them....

Swordstress

[11]Jul 23, 2007

I saw all the Forever Knights before I discovered Angel, and the two have similar elements, in that they're both about vampires seeking to atone for a past. Plus, both want to be human. But other than that, I found the series' very different. The stakes were alot higher on ATS. They're fights were on a larger scale, more ultimate evil against good. And while Angel's personal journey was redemption and rediscovering his humanity, he was chosen for a larger purpose: to be the Champion of mankind against evil. FK was more personal, about one man seeking to become human again. He solved crimes and worked on a smaller scale and made a difference on a smaller scale than Angel. ATS was more about good vs. evil. KN was more a cop program with vampire trappings. I liked them both!

Moonlight sounds like it will have more in common with Forever Knight, and I'm looking forward to its debut. Get everyone you know to watch, so it stays on the air!

Edited on 07/23/2007 12:28am

kateinabox

[12]Sep 6, 2007
    Basically every Vampire genre book/movie/TV show I have seen all seem to have elements of something that came before it...oh what is that thing called when you plagerize an idea but do it subconciously?? Those Twilight books, Angel, Buffy...all rely on the things that came before to give them ideas. It really sucks that there are not more original ideas anymore. But at least each thing has something relatively unique in them. That is why they get a following... As much as I love a good Vampire story... you can only here so many before you get kind of tired of the same thing over and over again. That is why I don't know if I am going to like this Moonlight show on CBS....might give it a shot. If I remember...

CoolUserName

[13]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 7
    Hmmm...

I liked both FK and Angel/Buffy. So that's kinda why I'm looking forward to Moonlight, so much. That, and I like Alex O'Laughlin.

Although, I feel like it is going to be in a category of its own...it definitely has more of a dramatic-feel.

DevilAngel78

[14]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    I'm a fan of both shows but I couldn't compare them off the top of my head - been a long time since I've seen any of FK (not since they first aired in Aus).

I have to admit though, Forever Knight is my fav out of the 2.

elainecleo

[15]Jun 13, 2008
    I did not care for FK until I got to season 3 and it was KILLER. Loved the new vamp played by Ben Bass, wish he had been in the whole thing and I was glad they got rid of the awful cop, but I have to say Angel is my favorite and not for Angel but for ANGELUS. I have watched that fight in season 4 with Faith and Wesley many, many times. And Angelus in Buffy was so good, season 2 is my favorite.