Forever Knight Forums

CBS (ended 1996)

"Moonlight" this fall on CBS

BRAH

[1]May 16, 2007
    • level: 4

Hey, "FK" fans, check this out...

MOONLIGHT, from prolific movie producer Joel Silver ("The Matrix," Trilogy), is about Mick St. John (Alex O'Loughlin, upcoming "White Out"), a captivating "undead" private investigator who uses his acute vampire senses to help the living... instead of feeding on them. In an agonizing twist of fate, Mick was "bitten" 60 years ago by his new bride, the seductive and beguiling Coraline (Amber Valletta, "Hitch"). Immortal and eternally as young, handsome and charismatic as he was then, Mick is sickened by Coraline and other vampires who view humans only as a source of nourishment. With only a handful of undead confidantes for company, including deceitful ally Josef (Rade Serbedzija, "24"), Mick fills his infinite days protecting the living, and trying not to think about how his life would have been if he hadn't followed his heart. However, after six decades of resisting, he wonders if it's time to pursue the love of a mortal. He has his eyes on Beth Turner, a beautiful, ambitious reporter who has been covering the ongoing plague of unusual murders. But would Beth even consider giving up a normal life to be with him, and can Mick risk the pain of seeing himself as a monster in her eyes? As Mick lives between two realities, fighting his adversaries among the undead and falling in love with Beth, he knows he needs to figure out a reason to keep "living." MOONLIGHT is directed by executive producer Rod Holcomb ("ER"). Joel Silver, Ron Koslow ("Birds of Prey"), Trevor Munson and Gerard Bocaccio are also executive producers for Warner Bros. Television.

This fantasy/crime drama show will be premiering on CBS this fall, airing Fridays at 9pm.

Umm, I may just be trippin' but does this show seem like a complete 100% RIPOFF?!?!?!

Even "Angel" had significant changes to the show to make it similar, but this upcoming "Moonlight" for fall is a blatant ripoff with no originality.

1) FK = Nick / ML = Mick

2) Both about vampires who solve crimes using their vampire abilities, FK = homicide detective / ML = p.i.

3) FK = Nick was bitten 800 years ago by lover Janette / ML = Mick was bitten 60 years ago by new bride Coraline

4) Both Nick & this new Mick are sickened by vampires who see humans as a source of norishment, including their current/former lover. FK = Janette / ML = Coraline.

5) Nick spent his time solving homicides for Toronto P.D., in order to forget his choice to be a vampire. Mick spends his time solving various crimes of the night as a p.i., and also trying to forget his choice of vampireism.

6) After much time resisting, both Nick & Mick are tempted to pursue the love of a mortal woman. FK = Natalie / ML = Beth.

7) Both Mick & Beth of "ML" are torn over whether to pursue their love. Beth is afraid of the vampire life, and Mick is afraid of being seen as a monster in her eyes. The same exact angle with Nick & Natalie throughout the run of "FK".

Both Nick & Mick found their only drive to keep living is their love for a certain mortal woman. Otherwise they are being set up as suicidal & depressed. "FK" actually ended with this resolution.

Just wanted to point this out for the "FK" fans. To me, every single character angle and overall plot is a complete copy of "FK". How ironic that both were born at CBS.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

propop

[2]May 22, 2007
    • level: 8

Very interesting!  I agree total RIP OFF. 

The only point I believe is different is I don't think Nat was completely afraid of being a vampire, it was just that she had no real cause to want to be one until the end.  She was determined to find a cure because that is what Nick wanted.  If she had done it Nick would have chosen to become mortal rather than have Nat turned to be a vampire with him. (well that what I think is the case)

I wonder if it will have the spark of FK.  It just seems that a 60 year old vampire isn't old enough to continue developing the back story add dimension to the current cases.  Moonlight has definitely got some giant shoes to fill!  I would love it if you could post back here after you have seen the show.  It will be great to read your opinions on the subject because moonlight will not be here anytime soon. 

BRAH

[3]May 24, 2007
    propop wrote:

Very interesting!  I agree total RIP OFF. 

The only point I believe is different is I don't think Nat was completely afraid of being a vampire, it was just that she had no real cause to want to be one until the end.  She was determined to find a cure because that is what Nick wanted.  If she had done it Nick would have chosen to become mortal rather than have Nat turned to be a vampire with him. (well that what I think is the case)

I wonder if it will have the spark of FK.  It just seems that a 60 year old vampire isn't old enough to continue developing the back story add dimension to the current cases.  Moonlight has definitely got some giant shoes to fill!  I would love it if you could post back here after you have seen the show.  It will be great to read your opinions on the subject because moonlight will not be here anytime soon. 

Well the show won't premiere 'til probably late-September, but I will definitely check it out, and post back, because it's got such similarites. Currently Alex O'Loughlin is a regular on the new season of "The Shield", and as a "Shield" fan, he's shown he's a pretty good actor. So I think "Moonlight" will have a good lead in the acting-realm.

But as far as the connection with "Forever Knight", if I remember correctly in the original 1989 "FK" pilot movie with Rick Springfield playing Nick instead of Geraint Wyn Davies, the Nick Knight character in the '89 pilot was much much younger. Maybe not 60 years, but I thought it wasn't 800 years as in the revived "Dark Knight" pilot in 1992.

Either way, i'll check it out. Hopefully it's good. But like with "Forever Knight", it's first season was a bit rough when CBS (network) had control over it. It was kind of hit & miss, because the suits didn't want the stories too get too complex. Hopefully they've learnt from their mistakes, and let "Moonlight" kind of have free reign on developing characters and backstories.

My question now is, I wonder if "ML" will have flashbacks like "FK". I doubt it, because 60 years couldn't have too many flashbacks, unless they flash backed week-by-week/year-by-year.

propop

[4]May 25, 2007

You make some great points BRAH. 

I guess like you said if they do decide to have flashback memories it would be in the past 60 years. Perhaps they will do this to keep the flashbacks relevant to the audience.  Personally I think I prefer the vampire who has been around longer.  I find that character more intriguing, the history of it all.  I guess time will tell.  As previously mentioned I look forward to your future comments.  It is good to see another FK fan still around. 

BRAH

[5]May 29, 2007
    I completely forgot this 'Josef' character for "Moonlight", is another character that's a ripoff. Supposedly a 'friend' of Mick's, Josef is described as a 'decitful alley'.

Umm, wasn't that the same role LaCroix played for Nick?

propop

[6]May 30, 2007

Totally!  Thats exactly how I would describe Nicks relationship with his 'vampire father'.

Geezus a blatant repackaging on what I call a cult classic.  I have heard that imataion is the highest form of flattery but to me it needs to go one step further; the imitation needs to be equally as good as the original!  A tall order for Moonlight I guess only time will tell. 

maxxie_m

[7]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 34

I was interested when I first heard about this show, along with New Amsterdam, another immortal-as-hero concept. I like these kind of shows, but then I thought about FK, along with Angel and Highlander, and figured I've seen it all. But then they went and recast the role of the lead's mentor, now to be played by the fantabulous Jason Dohring; so I'll probably check it out, if only for him. Dohring's the latest in a string of recasts, in fact they've replaced the entire main cast (save for the lead) from the pilot.Dohring's in his mid-twenties and the actor he replaced is sixty, apparently they're going with a more youthful character, though he'll still be several centuries old. If he brings even a fraction of the wit and snark he brought to his Veronica Mars character, I just might have a must-see show added to my line-up this new season.

babywillow

[8]Sep 29, 2007
    • level: 3

After just watching thepilot to Moonlight , i must agree it is as though they took there ideas strait from the scripts of FK . though ML isn't as dark , and thecharacters seem week . Like FK they also use flashbacks and Mick using his keen sense of smell is able to sniff brief glimpses of the future . TheNew show wasn't bad , but other than the similarity to the charicters, it has a long way to measure up to the original Forever Knight.

jasjamjaz

[9]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 9
    i love ML, they have iphones!! i've never seen FK except for the first episode so i can't really get a feel on it. if ne1 knew where i could watch FK for free that'd b great.

propop

[10]Oct 25, 2007
    I gotta sayI really love the potential that Moonlight shows, and although it has been some time since I saw my last FK episode I think the shows are a different style, even if some elements remain the same. Its nice to see a vampire program back on TV made with such high quality. I hope it stays around.
    Edited on 10/25/2007 6:20am
    Edited 2 total times.

Mickstjohn

[11]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 2
    I really really loved Moonlight!!

BRAH

[12]Jan 19, 2009
    I didn't, I thought it sucked.

And I did go into it with an open mind. I thought it had promise with the "Pilot", despite the changing of the vampire-rules which I didn't like, but before long it was a total snore-fest.

When it went on winter-hiatus, I never returned afterwards, and eventually it was put out of it's misery and cancelled.