Forever Knight Forums

CBS (ended 1996)

Schanke

VerityJackson

[1]Jan 5, 2006
    • level: 28
    Love him or loathe 'im, he was a good cop at heart.

Share your love, hate, or love-hate right here!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CharliesGirl

[2]Jan 6, 2006
    • level: 9
    I love Schanke over Tracy. I love it when Nick got Schanke in the church.( For I have Sinned)It was very funny.

LitaOsiris

[3]Jan 22, 2006
    • level: 3
    Definitely loved Schanke, Tracy was nowhere near as good. Nick and Schanke had a good relationship and there was good humour, but there was nothing with Tracy. I hated when they got rid of him.

BRAH

[4]Jul 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    Tracy was a nice girl, but she was NEVER a replacement for Schanke.

Despite how hard they tried, Season 3's chemistry was completely gone for one reason ... the loss of Schanke. The show was never the same after his death. The show can live on without Janette imo, but Schanke's loss hurt the series for the rest of it's run.

makgambit

[5]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 11
    How could you not love him. He livened up the show so much. No matter what show or movie he was in he will always be Schanke to me.

FoxMulder_GMAN

[6]Feb 23, 2007
    • level: 21
    BRAH wrote:
    Tracy was a nice girl, but she was NEVER a replacement for Schanke.

Despite how hard they tried, Season 3's chemistry was completely gone for one reason ... the loss of Schanke. The show was never the same after his death. The show can live on without Janette imo, but Schanke's loss hurt the series for the rest of it's run.
    I agree. What made it even worse (and what ultimately led to the series downfall) was that they tried to replace the (buddy-buddy)chemistry between Nick and Schanke with (sexual chemistry) between Tracy and Vashon.

BRAH

[7]Apr 26, 2007
    Agreed.

Tracey & Vachon... thumbs down!

Now I enjoyed the interesting, but short-lived backstory with Vachon & Urs. I wish that could've been built upon further, even though it was kind of a rehash with a younger Nick & Janette.

Tracey was an alright character, but just was all wrong for various reasons.

Doggett21

[8]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 1

FoxMulder_GMAN wrote:
    BRAH wrote:
    Tracy was a nice girl, but she was NEVER a replacement for Schanke. Despite how hard they tried, Season 3's chemistry was completely gone for one reason ... the loss of Schanke. The show was never the same after his death. The show can live on without Janette imo, but Schanke's loss hurt the series for the rest of it's run.
    I agree. What made it even worse (and what ultimately led to the series downfall) was that they tried to replace the (buddy-buddy)chemistry between Nick and Schanke with (sexual chemistry) between Tracy and Vashon.

Yep, it sounds like something USA would do. Change it up and make it "sexier" with a relationship with a blonde lady and a young guy, that way it would be more like their programs such as Silk Stalkings. I read that the networkwanted to get rid of both Janette and Natalie since they weren't attractive enough. The actress playing Janette did leave but Geraintsaid he would leave the series if Natalie was cut from the show. The love between Natalie and Nick was a big driving force in the series was that relationship so it would've been dead from the beginning if that were to happen. I guess USA tried to get the sex appeal they wanted with Vachon and Tracy, ultimately killing the series.

numberonecubsfa

[9]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 6
    I'm in to season 3 now. I miss Schanke. I hate his new partner and the lame vampire love subplot she has going. There really is no chemistry between them. Not like Nick and Schanke, who played off each other very well.

elainecleo

[10]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    numberonecubsfa wrote:
    I'm in to season 3 now. I miss Schanke. I hate his new partner and the lame vampire love subplot she has going. There really is no chemistry between them. Not like Nick and Schanke, who played off each other very well.

I was soooo glad when they got rid of Schanke and if they had Vachon, Ben Bass, on earlier I would have enjoyed the first 2 seasons more. I thought 3 was KILLER, loved it.

marvelfan89

[11]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 39

BRAH wrote:
    Tracy was a nice girl, but she was NEVER a replacement for Schanke. Despite how hard they tried, Season 3's chemistry was completely gone for one reason ... the loss of Schanke. The show was never the same after his death. The show can live on without Janette imo, but Schanke's loss hurt the series for the rest of it's run.

Gotta disagree especially about Janette, her intimacy with Nick was a big part of the show and how the writers wrote her off as just "leaving" was idiotic since she was Nick on and off again lover. Totally unrealistic. That was huge. Schanke on the other hand, I love the guy but he was used a lot for comic humor. He was a good parter but his loss I feel wasn't as big as Janette. They did hint before this on other episodes at Schanke's desire to leave and there was tension between him and Nick. I still felt quality wise certain episode were as good as the first two sesaon (Blackwing, Blind Faith were awesome episode not to mention very touching).

Edited on 08/28/2008 1:47am
    Edited 2 total times.

bostonjim

[12]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 8

I eventually grew to really love ol' Schanke. When I first started watching this show I was completely turned off by what I thought was a crude, insensitive and uncouth police detective. However, as the series progressed I became much fonder of that rascal, especially after the episode in which a deranged former police academy washout was stalking him. That was when I realized this character really had an inner strength and resolve that his coarse exterior could not conceal. After that episode I became a solid "Schanke-ite." One can only imagine my extreme disappointment when USA took over the show for the third (and final) season and dropped his character. I guess the suits at USA figured that tinkering with a winner by injecting form (T&A) over substance (gritty detective) would result in top ratings. What a shame; they were so, so wrong. Jim UPDATE--If you'd like a pleasant surprise, and if you have access to "Miami Vice," check out Season 1's 12th episode, "Milk Run." Our old friend Schanke plays the role of a sleazy lawyer who gets dirtbag drug dealers off the hook.

Edited on 06/24/2009 7:38am

sandbur

[13]Nov 21, 2009
    • level: 25

I loved Schanke. He was comic relief, but he was also a loyal partner and a dedicated cop, and I was disappointed when he was killed off along with Cohen. However, it did set up a very intense start to season 3.

Having said all that, I did not mind Tracey either. it was all good to me...

ted2332

[14]Jul 11, 2012
    Schanke rocked. The show lost its mojo when he left it.